Opening of new Doha airport

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 121 through 132 (of 132 total)

• dasher27
    Participant

The new airport is currently not a good place to travel through – still no lounges open and the incredibly long bus rides replaced by incredibly long walks. I am seriously thinking of ditching my Qatar status, useful though it is, and switching to Emirates. Shame, I used to like the old Doha airport, especially the Business lounges.

farmerslodge
    Participant

The new airport is not living up to expectations as yet in my opinion. Arrived by road yesterday to park long term (says on its info flyer long term parking is free) no signs for long term parking anywhere and all the boys with wands and even the police outside the terminal have no idea how to get to long term parking. Drove away and another taxi was needed. Looked again from the taxi and NOT ONE SIGN on the approach for long term parking was seen from the road. Information desk in the terminal, more interested in their mobile phones to be bothered to answer my question, ask at the car parking was the reply!!! lots of signs inside the terminal covered with black paper already – not a good start really

superchris
    Participant

Agree its a complete shocker. First trip last week. Lounges were awful, still bussed from plane and QR staff everywhere looking pretty but completely bemused. Timekeeping shocking (completely unexplained and un apologised for hour long delay).

Personally I will be avoiding for at least 12 months, plus will avoid the 787 at all costs on QR in Y.

Charles-P
    Participant

One of my staff came through Tuesday – not impressed. He described it as a,
    “building site six weeks before completion”. I understand the signage is also a major problem with pax having to ask directions all the time. Opened too early under political pressure would be my guess.

first_class_please
    Participant

I used it twice early last month and found the lounges adequate, the transfer security checks a breeze and had absolutely no problem with the signage.

If you have been through any airport before and can read information boards then I don’t know how anybody could need directions. There are four options, A B C D and each one is in a corner with the giant teddy bear in the middle. Walk under the enormous letter and then follow numbers to the one you want…

farmerslodge
    Participant

Glad you had no problems a month ago – however since then most of the signs have been covered for some reason, and for new users the ability to read any sign is not there. You may have the magic touch not to need any directions, but most people do, thats why signage is erected. Thanks for your useful input – hope you need to find the long term car park one day soon…..

Ahmad
    Participant

Just got an email with the following link from QR informing that the Al Mourjan Business Lounge is now open:-

http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/lounges-al-mourjan.page

Apparently it is open to all One World First/Business passengers.

I just got back from the Middle East but flew Etihad this time to avoid Doha. Now wish I hadn’t bothered. As I don’t have any immediate plans of traveling through Doha, input from anyone who has had a look at the new lounge would be most appreciated.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Mrs. LP got the same email Ahmad, and like you decided to avoid DOH and is going back to JNB with Swiss.

The lounges do look nice though and once I’ve requalified my Senator status with Swiss I’ll give QR a try again out of curiosity, though I’m looking forward to receiving a few positive reports first.

first_class_please
    Participant

Good to know Ahmad.

I flew through last Wednesday and saw the signs to Al-Mourjan, but then they abruptly stopped.

I went to the oneworld first lounge and they told me Al-Mourjan not open yet and not sure when.

I will be there on Friday so will hopefully check it out.

Ahmad
    Participant

Great. Look forward to your opinion on the lounge after your Friday visit.

first_class_please
    Participant

I visited the Al-Mourjan lounge on Saturday, below a few comments / details:-

Firstly, I forgot the lounge was open, so after a little walk to duty free for Mrs FCP to obtain some “essentials”, we attempted to go the First Class lounge (Oneworld Emerald card holder) after showing the attendant at the bottom of the escalator our tickets, she advised that the Al-Mourjan lounge was now open and we should head there.

I thanked her for this information, but, asked should I not be still able to head to the First lounge as we had First class tickets and Emerald status. Response “sorry, this lounge is now reserved for the Qatari Royal Family”.

Not sure how long this situation will be in place, maybe until the dedicated first class lounge opens.

So, headed to Al-Mourjan which is back up the escalator to the 3rd floor, located at the side of the escalator you come down if a transit passenger.

Impressions, very large, lots of seating, some rather innovative ideas, like instead of having 2 solo seats facing each other with a shared side table, the seats were back to back, so single travellers could use them privatley, without sharing with others. That was a good idea.

Lounge in general seems a bit lost, the signage is extremely poor to know where to go for food, drinks, bathrooms, business centre as the signs are very hard to read unless you are right by them.

We were just looking for a quick drink between connections, so after asking where everything was located, we found that the main entrance area is mainly coffee and pastries, then there is a dining room / bar to the left.

Also there is a large dinning area, bar and smoking area upstairs. seating for maybe 100+ (maybe this will become the first class lounge?) accessed by a lift. The smoking room is very large, although full with tables all set for dining, rather than just drinking.

The bar had stools for maybe 12 people in the main area.

So, I`m not too sure what you do just for a drink, as the main area was apparantly not the place and the upstairs bar very small. All set out very nicely for dining.

Oh, bathrooms, upstairs (100+ people) gents had two urinals and one toilet and the ladies one toilet only.

I did not investigate further downstairs for bathrooms, or locate any shower rooms.

Overall, very large, nice decor and peaceful.

Etihad could learn a thing or two for sure, I don`t fly them anymore after not being able to find a single seat on last two occassions in their lounge on my own.

Hope you all enjoy.

NMO750NLY75
    Participant

Just booked my First Class tickets for CDG –> DOH in brand new A380 end of December (then go to BKK… but unfortunately there’s no first class…) and would enjoy to discover the new Al Safwa First Class Lounge.

As far as I understand first class passenger use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge …Does somebody know when is the opening date of Al Safwa First Class Lounge?

Viewing 12 posts - 121 through 132 (of 132 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls