Opening of new Doha airport

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 132 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

It’s a way off, but there is another media tour of Hamad International taking place on 18 May, so we will have a report from that visit shortly afterwards on this website. Tom Otley

CXDiamond
    Participant

I too will believe it when I’ve been there.

Ahmad
    Participant

Hello Reggie,

Thank you for the compliment. I am gainfully employed in my legal practice and quite happy with my work. But if it is a serious offer and involves guaranteed free upgrades on flights and at hotels, I will be delighted to share my experiences with readers.

Regarding Doha Airport, I didn’t realise it is such a touchy issue. I travel through that airport quite often and was genuinely interested in knowing when the new facility will start functioning. I will be going through there again after a few days and if readers are interested, will make further inquiries and report my findings. After this trip, there is nothing on the cards until the third week of May, by which time it should be amply clear what is going on.

Ahmad

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I can understand why people are sceptical about the opening of the new terminal. I’ve been on two flights where crew have said it is be open and I’ll be one of the first to use it!!!

Their service centre yesterday told mrs. LP it will be open when she flies to JNB first week of May? She’s all excited now. “Calm down dear” I replied. 😉 I will report accordingly but after reading this thread I’m not hopeful for her.

Kimi_CDG
    Participant

Seen in a French website:

http://www.aeroweb-fr.net/actualites/2014/03/paris-cdg-lairbus-a380-en-force

The flight QR039 from Doha to Paris is announced with an A380-800 in CDG Airport official website:

http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/en-GB/Passagers/flight-timetable-airline/Flight-information/Details/Flight-CDG1_A.htm?City=DOHA&HoursId=0&DtStart=2014060100&DtEnd=2014060200&IsArr=True&FlightSearch=false&Date=6/1/2014%202:10:00%20PM&page=0&CompositeKey=20140601CAQR%20039%20%2020140601DOH&lang=en

It’s still an A340-600 for the day before. The delivery of the A380s has been delayed until Qatar Airways’ move to HIA so this piece of news is in line with the first post. First flights to London and Paris on June 1st?

esselle
    Participant

May 27th.

Ahmad
    Participant

According to the Qatar Airways website, the new airport is now operational and Qatar will move their operations there on 27 May.

http://www.qatarairways.com/english_global/press-release.page?pr_id=pressrelease_30_04_14_vipflight

I hope the recent delayed arrivals/departures will now be a thing of the past.

esselle
    Participant

Please see my post of 23rd April.

rodders
    Participant

Am due to fly through Doha again on June 3rd, but on my QR flight today the crew seemed rather pessimistic that it would open as planed on May 27th!
    I also had a booking for early July on the A380 to London, but was told it was then a 777, so if we aim low we can be pleasantly surprised!

esselle
    Participant

AD

What a crass comment. Do aircraft on approach into LHR drop bombs?

Like I said in April, 27th May it is.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

From the Qatar Airways website

“Qatar Airways will continue to fly to/from Doha International Airport until 27th May 2014 at 09:00hrs, after which we will be flying to/from Hamad International Airport (HIA)

During this transition, some of the airport lounges are temporarily unavailable. We sincerely regret the inconvenience caused and would like to extend to you our unreserved apologies. If you are affected by this situation, please contact the Qatar Airways check in staff at your point of embarkation or the premium customer service desks at Hamad International Airport in DOHA for alternative arrangements. Thank you for your understanding and we hope to welcome you back soon in order to experience the fullest range of our services and memorable Qatar Airways hospitality.”

SimonS1
    Participant

I suppose with the airport being years late, another 2 months for the lounges to be operational is a minor inconvenience.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Esselle,

Whilst I was being facetious in my response, was Mr Al-Baker in suggesting first that Heathrow should operate 24/7 and then that the locals “would get used to it…”?

To have someone in his position – on the board of HAL – adopt such an astonishingly cavalier attitude is, to my mind, breath-taking. Clearly Al-Baker is unable to spot the difference between building an airport in the desert and operating an existing airport immediately adjacent to one of the largest conurbations in the world. You can compare and contrast my “crass” with his.

esselle
    Participant

AD

I agree that his comment about Londoners getting used to it was not very clever, I see no parallel at all with London being bombed.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Esselle: Granted; not my finest posting.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 132 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls