Opening of new Doha airport

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 132 total)

• sleak76
    Participant

You’re right first_class_please, the transfer was easy and quick and the high TV above the seats next to the dining area is quite bright and the constant flash is annoying .

A point about UK power sockets, all the 6 Gulf countries use the UK power sockets as standard (in hotels, homes and offices). You’ll never see the US or EU sockets here so all non-UK travelers coming to the Gulf or transiting should purchase converters to UK standard plug if they are to use sockets here.

Hope you have a great onward journey, first class pls.

Tirana1
    Participant

Currently awaiting boarding after flight from SIN, on to LHR. Key points:

1) aircon seems only partially working – airport generally very stuffy and obviously builders still working to finish.

2) First Class lounge v small, heavily staffed but pretty inept service, especially showers – only 2 provided in male area and toilet area reeks of cigarette smoke – long (and not happy) queues to use these – staff dealing with issue by promising to call customers when shower free but than disappear and do not bother

3) many piers evidently not working with plenty of use still being made of buses

4) long queues for non one world status J class passengers to collect vouchers – much unhappiness evident there.

5) ground staff confused as to boarding procedures – apparently no priority for J class (maybe this is QR policy because same lack of priority when boarding at SIN ?) Announcements not made using PA so inaudible (was PA system functioning ?)

All in all, very, very far from 5* experience and ground experience absolutely inconsistent with the QR “award winning service” mantra. Time to lose a ranking in skytrax, not least because of significance of ground service where so many passengers are in transit which is fundamental to QR business model.

AleRomUY
    Participant

Tirana1, thanks for your comments.
    With yours plus some others before plus a friend’s ones that transited there last week, I’m scared of what I will face next week. I am doing mostly a similar route like you, JKT-DOH-LHR with 4hr40′ layover there in that “state of the art” facility like Mr Al Baker describes it!
    I guess I will compensate with extra champagne on board!!
    Cheers!

IstanbulWarrior
    Participant

Am flying through Doha this afternoon but have planned to meet friends in town rather than risk a 4hr layover in a sub-par lounge. Will be passing through again next month and hope the lounges and all other chinks are fixed by then

SimonS1
    Participant

I’m heading through there next week. Have changed my plans to fly in the night before and overnight in Doha rather than on the morning.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Mrs. LP has changed her planes flying here with the boys as well. She’s decided against QR thanks to the forum and is now going BA JNB – LHR – MXP. Seems a bit like Frying Pan and Fire to me!

HappytobeSilver
    Participant

Can anyone advise as to whether the ‘in airport’ hotel has opened at the new airport. Tried looking on the airport website but page was unavailable.
    Thanks

IstanbulWarrior
    Participant

Just got to Phuket after a transfer through Doha. The arrival was seamless, passport control queues seem to be a thing of the past and their iris scanner now works on the first try rather than having to try again and again. As mentioned before, the terminal was a bit warm, perhaps there are problems with the air conditioning unit.

I arrived back at the airport for my connecting flight with about 3@ mins to spare and it was seamless. Fast track was a breeze, went to check out the QR F and J lounges. They are clearly temporary and a far cry from what the Premium Terminal was but definitely better than many lounges of legacy airlines.

The artwork and sculptures around the terminal are great, especially the teddy bear!

IstanbulWarrior
    Participant

Just got to Phuket after a transfer through Doha. The arrival was seamless, passport control queues seem to be a thing of the past and their iris scanner now works on the first try rather than having to try again and again. As mentioned before, the terminal was a bit warm, perhaps there are problems with the air conditioning unit.

I arrived back at the airport for my connecting flight with about 3@ mins to spare and it was seamless. Fast track was a breeze, went to check out the QR F and J lounges. They are clearly temporary and a far cry from what the Premium Terminal was but definitely better than many lounges of legacy airlines.

The artwork and sculptures around the terminal are great, especially the teddy bear!

Tirana1
    Participant

In addition to my earlier comments re the poor ground experience at Doha, I should add that the return flight to LHR was simply oustanding. The QR business class 787 set-up has to be the best business class product I have experienced – the seat and IFE are easily the equivalent of NF on BA and it is only the choice of wines that would leave BA NF ahead on the catering front. It certainly goes to emphasise how outdated the BA business class seat offering is and how poor the catering in comparison.

superchris
    Participant

apologies to all, as I know this has been done to death but…

travelling Y class transiting through Doha with a BA silver… will I get into any lounge at all??

rodders
    Participant

sorry having done the following daft itinerary DXB/DOH/ESB/DOH/MCT/KUL/BWN/SIN/BKK/MCT/DXB in the last 8 days I did not have time to post my comments about my return leg through Hamad International. We arrived close to midnight so peak time for the Gulf airports, we were bussed to the terminal, the security screen was all that is bad about Qatar, fast track offered, then asked by the non-Qatari staff to join the regular line, while the national behind the other security scanner chatted. When i raised this with the QR staff she indicated that the new Ministry of Interior staff were not fully trained and that they were often being prevented from getting around the airport themselves, clearly all that glitters is not gold, and they have some way to go……but hey given where they have come from……

SimonS1
    Participant

Went through Doha this week. The airport is an improvement but there is a long way to go.

Some lounges not operational. Incessant announcements about gate changes. Plenty of retail outlets still hoarded off. Plus whilst there were a lot of staff around (a lot) many of them are new and untrained.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Mrs. LP was so horrified by these reports she decided against QR via DOH and is now flying Swiss. Trouble is Business was full so she cannot upgrade and is flying in the back with the boys. 😉 How do I do a BIG grin?

first_class_please
    Participant

LP, while HIA has a little way to go to be world class, the current facilities are certainly adequate and I would not avoid using QR / HIA.

I passed through twice earlier this month and had no problems at all. Certainly much better experience than the zoo’s of Dubai and Abu Dhabi

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 132 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls