Oneworld Announcement Due 08/10

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 65 total)

• alwaysinclub
    Participant

Overall good news for one world who have secured a decent partner in the transaction

Vertrek
    Participant

Good news for oneworld and it’s flyers! =)

Although it is just a speculation, it seems like the next one will be Philippine Airlines.

http://www.philippineairspace.blogspot.de/2012/10/frankfurt-here-we-come-again.html

=)

cityprofessional
    Participant

Hmmm, I wish they’d set dates for things, so I can start booking flights…

Interesting possibilities, esp for TP earning. If Exec Club stays the way it is LHR-HKG return in J class will earn 480 TPs on QR vs 280 on BA. Add that to the fact that QR has (a) great inflight service and (b) frequent premium class fare sales, and it looks like BA will be getting even less of my money!

Hippocampus
    Participant

A hugely significant and symbolic move by Oneworld and a body blow to Star Alliance which is now left out in the cold.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Maybe Qantas should be doing its deal with Qatar instead of Emirates.

Or maybe Oneworld should be dealing with Emirates instead of Qatar.

GNSpain
    Participant

City, 12 to 18 months needed to get QR full member as per oneworld web info today.

BigDog.
    Participant

Methinks it is more “Hugely Significant” to BA/IB and than Oneworld generally.

Deals done outside alliances are starting to be the vogue so I see more splintering of alliances adversely impacting SA more than ST or1W. Emirates will plough its own furrow making various degrees of strategic alliances with individual airliness that suit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/09/business/air-alliances-expand-as-qatar-joins-oneworld.html?_r=0

VintageKrug
    Participant

I think it will be a while before reciprocal earning and burning starts, so best to press on regardless, though I’m holding back for a pre-Christmas splurge.

Qantas has most certainly not left oneworld, and nor will many of its oneworld codeshares cease. This could be very good news indeed for oneworld, with the Emirates/Qantas partnership at one level and the Qatar/oneworld membership at another, and Royal Jordanian already in the bag for many years now.

Just Etihad left, Gulf rather becoming an irrelevance. And the much loved Oman Air left to be wooed, but not really needing an alliance partner for a host of reasons 🙁

…more partners for oneworld in the offing, too, apparently…

JohnPhelanAustralia
    Participant

Good news for those of us in the Qantas FF scheme – we will get points earn and burn on BOTH Qatar and Emirates!

(I very much doubt we’ll get status credits on QR, though, which we will on EK).

Lando Marco
    Participant

John, I think its the other way around; you will get status credits on QR when it becomes a full 1W partner (like all other 1W partners at present). On EK you would not get SCs unless it is ticketed by QF.

BigDog.
    Participant

The FT reports. Whilst the Oneworld Qatar alliance was being announced, Pilots from American Airlines, a oneworld founding partner, were outside picketing. They carried placards that said “AA planes are sick, not the pilots”

This referred to the ongoing dispute which has resulted in a spike in pilot reports of mechanical problems with aircraft. Concern over AA’s safety performance was heightened in the last week after seats on some of its 757 aircraft came loose in flight. Scary.

AA domestic traffic slumped by 7.1% in September

There is currently a NDC/Confidentiality agreement between AA and a potential suitor, US Airways (Star Alliance) for a potential tie up.

JohnPhelanAustralia
    Participant

Airmarc -it’s already been announced that QFF members earning status credits on EK metal will be dependent upon which flight number you’re booked on – if it’s the QF code, you’ll get QFF status credits. So the simple answer will be to always book the QF codeshare.

Of course, there will be some destinations specifically excluded from the arrangement, such as flights to and from the US. And as for EK flights which do not have QF codeshare? It seems you’ll get points (miles) from these, but the two airlines are still working out whether you’ll get status credits on these flights.

Hippocampus
    Participant

What a coup for Oneworld and an absolute triumph for IAG:

“I would think Willie Walsh was instrumental in the deal,” said James Hollins, an analyst at Investec in London with a “buy” rating on IAG, as International Consolidated Airlines Group SA is known. “He has been seeking further inroads into the Middle and Far East, having pulled off the tight alliance with American Airlines to the west. Great work.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-09/british-airways-delivers-qatar-coup-after-charm-offensive.html

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 65 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls