One million miles and 72 hours

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

• alwaysinclub
    Participant

As someone who lives in the Middle East, I would suggest Zight Bay in Oman (but fly into Dubai and they will pick you up and drive the 2 hours up the coast. You should take care when you transfer because driving through Sharjah can be very busy at peak times.

Alternatively, the Palace Old Town in Dubai, while not on the beach is amazing. Service is very good, food options great and rooms good value. You then have the Burj Khalifa on your doorstep!

Good luck with the proposal

VintageKrug
    Participant

Zighy Bay …..as mentioned above in my recommendations complete with url link….

If flying to Muscat on BA note that you have to stop en route both ways in Abu Dhabi (AUH) and timings are not as convenient as flying to Dubai (DXB) and possibly transferring to another carrier.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Going to six senses resort for 72 hours (minus travel time) is like flying First class from London to Paris – its simply not long enough to enjoy and appreciate. ahhhhhh, just the thought of Six Senses sends me into relax mode!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Indeed, it’s simply not long enough to enjoy and appreciate.

My suggestions were very much geared to someone looking to get good value from their miles stash; hence the need for a “short” longhaul.

You would need a decent resort not too far from the airport, and not a destination where you would actually want to stay much longer than your alloted three days R&R.

You would need to fly 2-3 hours within Europe to get some warmth in October even if you decided on a shorthaul CE trip.

Frankly once you have struggled through security and jumped on a plane you may as well enjoy the spa, Concorde Room pre-flight dining/cabanas, decent on board IFE, a proper seat and restful bed in flight and and Arrivals lounge once you get back which a longhaul ticket would bring, all this is also a much better use for your miles than a shorthaul would be.

As you say you both enjoy flying as much as the actual destination it seems sensible to stick to longhaul.

egorevna
    Participant

VintageKrug as a can see you’re a sophisticated traveller? Are you using flyer programs yourself? Did you get you best trip for free using them?
    best

alexlondon
    Participant

Middle East definately works best, but, whilst the outbound BA flights to Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain or Muscat work well, the returns are late night flights and a sleepy First cabin is not one which showcases the product. Whichever city you fly to, you will want to return from Dubai on the late morning flight, giving you time for a long, relaxing lunch, and a light supper on board, before arrival. Dubai is a 2 hour drive from Abu Dhabi or a 1 hr flight from any other Gulf Centre. You can use your miles for flights into Muscat or Abu, returning from Dubai.

Of them all, Muscat is the best but you will want to minimise transfer times so the Chedi is the obvious choice. It is a lovely place if you like to relax. The beach is not good, and it is very trendy – depends on what you like. It is also very near the Grand Mosque (for signteseeing) and the airport – low flying aircraft, but you might like enjoy that!

Alternatively, stick to the “Bling” of Abu Dhabi – much more subdued than Dubai. Stay at the Emirates Palace if you can afford it. It’s definately OTT, but very impressive, with beautiful pool and beach areas. Eat out of the hotel – the Concierge will arrange this and desert trips.. If the Emirates Palace is too expensive, the InterCon is nearby, so you can still visit, and also has a nice beach and an excellent Executive Floor.

I would travel the night before the flight home, to Dubai, staying at the Intercon. RIght by the airport so easy transfer the next day. Marvellous Executive Club floor for cocktails and breakfast (with view of the airport on one side and Creek on the other). If you want, you can take an evening boat trip on the Creek in town, and stroll round the spice souk – just a taste but more than enough, before Dinner at the hotel – a great choice of two restautants. If your wife likes a buffet, she’ll love it here.

Above all, enjoy, and let us know what you decide!

FlightDoctor
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much for the phenomenal response to my enquiry. There have been some fantastic suggestions and I’m going to follow up with several of them (does anyone have Richard Branson’s phone number??).

I might even try to negotiate with family for some extended child care! It sounds as if “One million miles and 96 hours” opens up a lot more possibility!

I will keep you all updated. Please keep the ideas coming through if you have any other thoughts.

acchaladka
    Participant

I’ve not seen anyone suggest Tunisia but from what I’ve read it’s a great visit if going first class. The beach and sea, culture and food, and the sahara or some relatively untouched ruins in Libya are a two-three hour drive. Lots of tourist infrastructure there as well and a 3? hour flight from London?

I do agree that with a million miles I would use a few for the babysitter, the child care must be worth it. And DO ask her what she’d like to do if she say, had a million miles and was free of the kids for a week. Archeological lectures? Breakfast in bed in a rainy Venice? In the footsteps of St Someone in Jerusalem?

(As an aside I think everyone should go to Jerusalem at least once in life.)

Inquisitive
    Participant

To redeem ff miles, it is optimum to travel long haul as one has to pay for taxes and surcharges anyway. As the limit is 72 hours, suggesting one of the following options i) travel BA or QF first class (QF due to A380 experience and shared mile with BA) to Thailand, bkk – check-in to any 5 star hotel, take a good Royal Thai massage, keep one day sight seeing in bkk in a private car or ii) travel BA first to Tokyo – evening tokyo or the day trip is a different kind of experience or iii) travel BA/Virgin first/upper to Delhi – stay like Maharaja/Maharani in a 5 star hotel, make a day trip to TajMahal.

macaulay
    Participant

Make it an A380 flight.
    Say Quantas to Singapore.
    First would be good !
    Raffles hotel was more attractive than I expected , if very expensive.
    Or save lots and stay “Valley Wing” at Shangri La , where the all inclusive
    Singapore Sling/champagne etc etc bar(with some food) is open to you most of the day.

GuyBetsy
    Participant

It takes your 12+ hours to get to most places… and then you lose a day when you return.. Jetlag, stress of rushing around etc, that would hardly be termed a romantic getaway.

Sometimes the most relaxing and the most precious is the most obvious.

A weekend away from home.. in a B&B countryside. Aromatherapy massages, relaxing music, concerts, good food, and just .. silence. That is what women usually like and appreciate.

Ok so the time was October and it had passed.. so surprise her with something like this. It doesn’t have to be a significant date for anything special.

BRUSHES
    Participant

STAY IN A HOTEL IN LONDON, TELL THE FAMILY YOU WENT OVERSEAS. AND TELL A TRUSTED PERSON WHERE YOU ARE IN CASE OF EMERGENCY.

teebee8
    Participant

Go first class LHR to Las Vegas, stay at The Bellagio and take the wife to see LOVE, the Beatles show at The MGM.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Alas only Club World ex LHR to Las Vegas; though a First cabin would be offered if the popularity of the route means a 747 will be rostered for this summer.

Would be interesting for BT to research this further.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls