One million miles and 72 hours

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

• Anonymous

FlightDoctor
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I have a fun question to pose. My long-suffering wife (stay at home mum with 3 children under 4 years) has a significant birthday in October. Having secured some childcare with family, I plan to whisk her off somewhere special for a kid-free 72 hours using some of the airmiles I have collected over the last few years.

I’ve got approx. a million miles shared across BA (the majority), BMI and Virgin, mainly earned through business travel so it’s a great opportunity for some pay back after all the nights away from home!

Where would readers suggest would be a great destination (ex LHR or LGW) and with which carrier and which class of travel? We both love air travel (amazing, but true) and the flight should as much of the experience as the destination! I’m open to any crazy innovative ideas!!

Tim2soza
    Participant

First class, BA, round the world. Go for it!!

KeepDiscovering
    Participant

LHR-JNB by BA; JNB-SYD by QF; SYD-LAX by QF; LAX-LHR by VS. See east & west, and top & bottom of the world. (I suppose you can redeem QF tickets for it belongs to oneworld as BA does)

Cleancabinair
    Participant

Concorde to JFK !! Brilliant! Can use BA miles for the flight as well!! Done it ! Recommend it!!
    Oppss!! Sorry ….seems WW in connivance with some nasty politicians on both sides of the channel, plus a dodgy supplier of Concorde parts for the wonderful aircraft have decided that she is a bit expensive to run & they don’t want it to fly any more & grounded the Concorde a little time back!!

(Errr? WW: what do you intend to do with the remaining Concorde? Having given the aircraft to all sorts of non-deserving destinations, (Seattle?) are still hoping to dismember the aircraft and sell it to a bankrupt city such as Dubai? The QE 2 is rusting away there! Do the decent thing as promised & place her in pride of place in front of Terminal 5!! Failing that give her to me where she will find loving home in my front garden!)

TemboOne
    Participant

Hi Flight Doctor,

Sorry to see the lack of practical response, given your 72hr criteria.
    While First Class RTW is truly a great suggestion – if you have the time to do it, but 72 hours is not enough.

As you you both love air travel, presumably you both would like a little relaxation time somewhere, before having to head home.

May we suggest Tobago – it’s easily accessible from the UK and by far the most relaxing destination in the Caribbean. We loved Turtle Beach, but Grafton Beach is far more classy and luxurious. Shopping however is very limited!

Can’t comment on available carriers ex LHR or LGW but the main thing is to fly non-stop and avoid connecting via POS or any US airport.

If you had a week or two then I would have suggested taking your wife RTW to PPT via AKL.

Sorry I can’t offer any advice as to what carriers to choose, especially for First. Unfortunately it’s much easier to say which ones to avoid!

My wife and I share your passion for flying (although never First in our 42 years together) and we wish you well.

Hopefully you will receive a lot more practical advice and that your 72 hour time limitation will be taken into account.

BABenji
    Participant

ok…how about this? LHR – SFO in F. Hire a drop top of some description and drive down the Big Sur to LA. Have dinner (and stay) at Gordon Ramsay at the London:

http://www.gordonramsay.com/gratthelondonwh/

Spend the next day on the beach at Santa Monica before dropping the car off at LAX and flying F back to LHR.

egorevna
    Participant

Dear FlightDoctor

Would you be so kind to send me an email to egorevna (at) gmail.com
    I’m the editor-in-chief of Style Travel magazine in Russia and I would be more than happy if we can write a story about your romantic idea…

Best regards,
    Egor Appolonov

VintageKrug
    Participant

An interesting thread, FlightDoctor.

While the journey can be a fun part of your travels, I am a firm believer that it is the enjoyment of the destination and the experiences you enjoy together there which will “make” this special trip.

So, while a fun aspect of the jaunt will be travelling there, it is important not to focus too much on that aspect.

So, you really need to locate a terrific end goal objective which will be memorably special; things like an air balloon trip, safari, play or musical, great restaurant, spa or other memorable sightseeing experience.

Ten years ago, the obvious solution would have been to blow the lot on a 700,000 BA Miles redemption for two at the Sandy Lane in Barbados, three and a half hours outbound on Concorde and returning BA First overnight. And it would have been worth every penny!

However, that is sadly no longer possible. For the record, Willie Walsh was still at Aer Lingus when the decision to retire Concorde was taken, reluctantly, in 2003.

So, back to reality.

It’s hard to recommend a “killer objective” – you know your wife better than anyone, so you’d have to decide what would suit her best.

I would imagine you are no stranger to First travel, so really you want to maximise comfort but minimise hassle. That rather rules out connections, as temboOne pointed out. It also moves you away from choosing a bmi/star alliance redemption, most of which involve a connection.

Despite your large stash of miles, you have plenty of children who you will in due course be wanting to take with you on family holidays; so although you have a good stash, it is important not to waste them!

So, I would recommend that if you don’t already have one you get a BA American Express Premium Card and make use of the 2for1 voucher; this would effectively double the value of your miles stash.

There is just about still time to spend the £10k needed to activate this voucher if you are able to spend that sum quickly; if you are not already a member the best deal is to be referred by a friend or relative; that way you get 7k BA Miles and your friend gets a 4k bonus. I will post this in a separate thread.

With BA, you can both “open jaw” and vary class of travel when booking a 2for1 award, so outbound in F for the day flight and stay awake to experience the service, while returning on the Upper Deck in Club World, where you can get straight to sleep and arrive refreshed for breakfast in the Arrivals Lounge, saving enough miles for an upgrade to Club on a future trip.

Don’t forget the clocks go back an hour the last weekend in October, so that is a great weekend for a break as the extra hour can mean just that little bit extra time away, but it’s also around Half Term so award availability might be snapped up quickly.

VintageKrug
    Participant

There is little point redeeming in shorthaul/CE, so longhaul it must be.

It is October, so you don’t have to travel too far longhaul to get some sun, and with only 72 hours away, I would suggest keeping your actual flight time down as far as possible.

That rules out South America, East Asia, Australia and West Coast USA. New York is certainly do-able, though you may have jet lag issues, and a weekend there can be frenetic (but fun!) rather than the relaxing break it sounds like you want to have together.

The Caribbean might be an idea, but only Barbados offer a proper First Class service, and these are exLGW on either Virgin or BA, which means a less premium airport/lounge experience. It is still a very long flight (9+ hours). Jet lag on your return may wipe out any rest you managed over the weekend.

Bermuda is a tad shorter flight-wise, does offer F, but also departs LGW and would still have the jetlag issue.

South Africa might be better, as although it’s a longer flight there is minimal jetlag; but I think it’s somewhere that warrants a longer break some time in the future.

So, we are left with the shorter “longhaul” options, with a bias towards exLHR flights to experience either the Virgin Clubhouse or the Concorde Room both a which should set a suitably special tone for the rest of your trip.

That leaves us with Tel Aviv, Cairo, the Middle East (Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Muscat, Bahrain, Doha). Virgin flies to Dubai. You might also consider a trip to Amman on Royal Jordanian if you are keen on historical sightseeing.

http://www.britishairways.com/trade/routemapsflash/public/en_gb

Although I think Tel Aviv, Jerusalem and the Dead Sea/Masada is a great weekend trip (and just 60k BA Miles rtn in First…) travelling through TLV can be a tad stressful, and hotels in my experience could have tried harder on the luxury/hospitality front. You would also be rushing to manage that in three days, as four/five days is best.

Similar issues with Cairo.

A safari/balloon ride in Kenya might be an option, but it is not one of which I have personal experience, so cannot comment.

So, it seems like the Middle East might be the best option; it’s a short flight, but not so short that you cannot experience the service; it costs just 120k return per person in F, 120k for both of you if you have a 2for1 voucher, or just 100k if you outbound in F and return in J. American AAdvantage miles offer especially good value BA redemptions on these, and Indian, routes.

There are also several flights a day to Dubai in particular, and a choice of direct flights on Virgin or BA, allowing you to maximise your time away together.

You might also get a choice of aircraft; when flying BA F you might consider that the new F cabin is only being fitted to 777s right now, though it’s unlikely to be widely available even by October.

If flying Club World, then seeking out a 747 for the private-jet feel of the Upper Deck (accessible in advance only with you BAEC Gold or Silver Card, or for all for free at online check in) might be a better option.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I am certain other forum readers will have greater personal experience of resorts in the Middle East than I do, but there are plenty of world class hotels which would be a perfect place to relax by the pool, enjoy the sun on the beach, have a terrific spa day, delicious gastronomic experience or a fun sightseeing day out (there is plenty of culture in this region if you actively seek it out).

Perhaps you could make the experience more fun with a helicopter transfer to your hotel, especially given the need to maximise your time relaxing?

Hotels I would recommend of which I have personal experience:

DUBAI

Burj Al Arab/Jumeirah Beach Hotel: Naff, a little outdated now, but still an experience, esp. if you arrive by ‘copter. Book afternoon Tea in advance and do enjoy a sundowner in the Skyview Bar.
    Here is the promo vid from a few years ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKOOFQ-OTmM&feature=related

ABU DHABI

Shangri-La; just terrific.

Emirates Palace: extravagant, might be a little too much, but a remarkable experience

BAHRAIN

Ritz Carlton: Get a Tower/Renovated Room and Club Access is a must

DOHA

Four Seasons: nice hotel, but wasn’t keen on Doha in general

MUSCAT

The Chedi

Shangri-La Barr Al Jissah Complex

Flights to Dubai are regular, with a nice outbound around 9pm on a Friday, returning very very early in the morning on Tuesday morning to a short four day week at home; get an early check in/late check out at your hotel and you get three days away for only two night hotel stay, so it makes sense to push the boat out on a top suite with Club Lounge access.

Remember Abu Dhabi is only 90 minutes by car from DXB, less by ‘copter, so don’t afraid of taking advantage of the more frequent DXB service, and perhaps open jawing the journey by returning from another Middle East destination.

Caribbean would probably be “nicer” but you have a very long flight, no Concorde Room/Elemis Spa exLGW, no BA Arrivals Lounge in LGW (difficult to reach Arrivals facility in the Sofitel is not really worth the trek) significant time difference especially on your return and increased risk of rainshowers while there.

Do load up on Duty Free outbound, as quality plonk can be pricey, and also make sure you make spa reservation well in advance to avoid disappointment.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hey Flight Doctor, what a lovely idea. I would get onto Sir Richard and see if his private island is free. I remember someone sending him a note in the Virgin lounge asking how many airmiles to fly on one of his rockets. He would love the publicity in what are challenging times. I can imagine a trip to the Carabbean then his private helicopter to Necker Island, where you and your wife can use the remainder of the 72 hours, minus travel time being pampered and spoilt to your hearts content.

I think this is a wonderful thread and I hope you tell us all how what you decided to do.

BTW if you choose Necker, you can take some of your closest friends. Let me know the dates………… and good luck to you both.

TemboOne
    Participant

Hi Again Flight Doctor,

To supplement the excellent suggestions by VintageKrug, even though it is a long haul subsonic, Barbados is well worth considering.

While the west coast has long been the domain of smaller 3* properties catering primarily to low cost package holidays, there have for years been two superb properties on the east/south-east coasts.

Sadly only the beautiful Crane Beach (The Crane) remains, and it’s only a 15 minute drive from the airport. You will never regret taking your wife here!

(The former beautiful Sam Lords Castle property, taken over by and then abandoned by Marriott, now lies in desolate ruins.)

Given you are looking at October for the trip you are well clear of the main Islamic holy months such as Ramadan or the Eids (Holidays), so the Gulf is a good option with temperatures beginning to moderate by then.

There are some great places in Oman which can be reached via Dubai, such as the Zighy Bay Six Senses Spa (http://www.sixsenses.com/Six-Senses-Hideaway-Zighi-Bay/Accommodations-and-Rates.php) up in the Musandam Peninsula. Secluded villas on the Arabian Sea with private pools. Arrive by boat through crystal clear waters or try the buddy dual para-glide arrival from the top of the mountain tom the beach!

The new Banyan Tree Al Wadi in Ras Al Khaimah which is about an hours drive up the coast from Dubai. (http://www.banyantree.com/en/al_wadi/overview) has a great location with desert treks and safaris.

Banyan Tree Al Wadi is the first desert resort in the United Arab Emirates to offer an all-pool villa concept, complete with 3,000 sqm of Asian-inspired hydrotherapy spa facilities, a dedicated nature reserve, a private beach club and an 18-hole championship golf course.

This oasis of indulgence spans over 100 hectares, of which 60 hectares are dedicated as a nature reserve – home to local desert wildlife such as Arabian gazelles, camels and oryxes, offering guests a unique opportunity to interact with and observe these gentle creatures up close.

Alternatively the The Hilton Ras Al Khaimah has just opened to great reviews locally. (http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/RKTRSHI-Hilton-Ras-Al-Khaimah-Resort-Spa/index.do) An hours drive from Dubai International Airport but with out the commercial tacky veneer of Dubai!

Set in a lush and verdant private bay at the northern tip of the Arabian Peninsula, the stunning Hilton Ras Al Khaimah Resort & Spa overlooks the glittering Arabian Gulf. Indulge mind and body in the luxurious spa, which features a traditional Hamam and 9 treatment rooms, hold a conference in one of 3 contemporary function rooms, savor cuisines from around the world in one of our 12 bars and restaurants or simply watch the sun set as you sip a cocktail on the white sandy beach.

Set in a lush and verdant private bay at the northern tip of the Arabian Peninsula, the stunning Hilton Ras Al Khaimah Resort & Spa overlooks the glittering Arabian Sea. Indulge mind and body in the luxurious spa, which features a traditional Hamam and 9 treatment rooms, hold a conference in one of 3 contemporary function rooms, savor cuisines from around the world in one of our 12 bars and restaurants or simply watch the sun set as you sip a cocktail on the white sandy beach.

The Sultanate of Oman is a fabulous country however if you only have 72 hours then maybe leave it for another time to really savour the beauty of the beaches and mountains.

NOTE OF CAUTION ON BA EXECUTIVE MILES: Whilst the miles are yours to ‘burn’ suggest that you check the cost of the additional surcharges in the tax and security charges, for if they are anything like the costs added to a ticket from DXB-LHR-DXB BAEC ticket they make up approximately 3/4 to 2/3 of commercial ‘Y’ ticket. Hopefully you will not be charged such an extortionate fee for your flights by Willie Walsh and his merry pirates, who so badly ‘gaffed’ on the fuel hedging last year that he is making BAEC members pay by ‘loading’ the fees back onto the loyal members!

Whatever you decide I really hope that your wife and you have a truly wonderful time!

With BAEC miles…. ‘you have done the pain, so now go get the gain….!’

kawttyn
    Participant

Have you thought of what your wife would like to do, maybe, instead of spending time traveling in air (out of the 72 hours) she might prefer to have a short trip and spend time at the spa, candle night dinner, talk adult talk instead of ga ga talk. Please find out what she would like first before you book those long flights.
    I am speaking from the woman’s viewpoint, I am a woman, a road warrior clocking elite point status and I am also a mother too

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls