On Board an A330 with Thai Royalty

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

I have actually stayed at the Bangkok Hilton, and found it acceptable.

Though I would recommend you follow my lead and book a corner suite with Club access.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Use the Westin, much better location and the Executive Club, far more comfortable. Would be happy to introduce you to the manager.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Called the Millennium Hilton Bangkok. The wrong side of the river for me.

The previous Hilton had its name changed to Hilton Bangkok at Nai Lert Park (or something similar) precisely to avoid the “Bangkok Hilton” sigma……

Bangkok Hilton was also an excellent series on TV in 1989 with Nicole Kidman and Denholm Elliott.

Simon

VintageKrug
    Participant

Normally I stick with my usual room at the Oriental, though will not be venturing for a while after the red shirt disruptions last time round.

Potakas
    Participant

Last time there i stayed at Bangkok Marriott Resort and Spa, agree this is the wrong side of the river but the hotel makes you believe that you are on a different planet.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/bkkth-bangkok-marriott-resort-and-spa/

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Potakas,

I once drank something in Bangkok that made me believe the same thing 😉 !!!

S

JamesMoloney5
    Participant

As we have some time ago moved off the central theme of the original post, but maintaining some element of relevance, I thought you would all like to hear about the amazing deal I have just booked in First Class on Thai from London to Bangkok, via the Thai Air website…………

They are offering P class for GBP2,500 return to Bangkok, with the only restriction being you cannot amend the outbound date……seems almost too good to be true.

I was suspicious that maybe they are putting on the ancient old 747-400’s that are still flying in the original livery from 20 years ago, but i chose several different dates and they all came up with the same price.

I expect they are losing business on the LHR route to the CDG route as the First Class product on the new 777-300 is far superior to that on the 747……..happy days………..

Deleted User
    Participant

James – I am sure you will find that the aircraft is indeed an ancient 747-400, but the service in F will be anything but ancient. I use the service often and consider it to be one of the better F offerings available. One minor point, avoid the seat covering at bed time, as it fits into place via the elastic corners, which always seem to snap off the seat.

Enjoy

JamesMoloney5
    Participant

Hi CM, I have flown this route in F about five times a year for the last four years so am very familiar with the hard product, which is lagging way behind competitive products in the market.

Having said that, I still find it very easy to sleep and i agree with you that the service is fantastic…especially the sevruga caviar with chilled vodka, which they have been threatening to withdraw now for about two years – a threat which, thankfully, has not been carried out!

The new First Suites on the 777-300 to Paris are very competitive and when you couple that with the service, it’s a fantastic product.

The Paris route is about GBP4,500 in First which is also competitive with other carriers in what i call the “second tier’ premium airlines. However, until last week there had only been about GBP500 difference in the P class fare on the London and Paris routes.

I hope that the new fare structure from LHR is a reflection of Thai’s recognition that the hard product is below standard now compared to other competitors on the route. If it is I shall switch back to the London route as this represents truly excellent value for money.

My final destination is always Dublin which means I always have to transit via a European hub so I don’t mind flying into London or Paris, Amsterdam, Frankfurt etc.

The onward flight is always only a very short one, thank God, as the downgrade from Thai F class to Air France on a BAE 146 or Aer Lingus on an A319 is a terrible shock to the previously pampered system…….

PatJordan
    Participant

Hi James,

I can certainly imagine the shock to the previously pampered system when downgrading from Thai F class to Air France or Aer Lingus…..just imagine the abject horror that system would suffer on a Ryanair 737!!!!

I had a very pleasant flight from FRA to Dublin recently on Lufthansa recently. Have you tried that? The gate is very close to the Lounge too,

Best regards,

Pat

Deleted User
    Participant

James – have you tried the Finnair business offering via Helsinki?

JamesMoloney5
    Participant

Pat, CM, I only fly Star Alliance whenever possible……how do you think I can fly in F Class so often on the BKK-LHR or BKK-CDG route…..?

I am a points fiend……….!!! I fly about 200,000 miles annually so I easily clock up the points. This is why I don’t fly Finnair, but I understand they only have angled lie-flat seats in Business Class and they don’t operate a First Class cabin…..is this a correct understanding?

I try to limit the onward flight to an hour or ninety minutes maximum so this brings London, Paris and Amsterdam into the radius….reluctant to have to endure more than that in economy after the Thai flight. I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices for short haul C class in Europe…….

As for Ryanair, I would only ever, ever, use them as an absolute last resort……..but here’s the irony……….I have only ever invested in one company’s shares in my life, and which company do you think that might be?

A half tin of sevruga caviar and a chilled vodka to the winner……..which is something you would pay about e500 for on a Ryanair flight……yes, it is Ryanair, and the shares have been a great investment……..good ol’ Michael O’Leary. Is it true that he is taking over at BA after Willie steps down?

Now there’s a story, eh? Good night……..bed time in Dublin………

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Excellent post, James – thanks for making me smile!

Just two points about Finnair. Their new business class product has fully-flat beds with 1-2-2 seating (but no First Class). Secondly, although the 3 hours or so to HEL can seem like a schlep, the transfers are great and the flying time to the Asian destination is greatly reduced.

I can thoroughly recommend Finnair. For the record, like VK I do not work within the travel industry and have no financial interest in any airline (unlike you, James! – Funding O’Weary? How can you sleep at night 😉 ?).

Sleep well in any case. Hope Dublin didn’t run out of Guinness at New Year due to the water shortages, as some predicted!

Simon

Deleted User
    Participant

James, I reported about the FInnair flights under “Finnair unfair now fare”.

I hope you find it interesting.

I too fly a simillar number of return Asia trips and mix between Star and one world, each have offers and each tend to increase the number of airmiles on occasions. I calculate that 100,000 airmiles is roughly worth £2000 based on the fact that on the majority of carriers, 100,000 miles will get you a return biz class seat.

bombayteddy
    Participant

Good to know Thai Royals are friendly and accomodating of persons sharing the same cabin. So unlike our Indian politicians who can be obnoxious in the extreme. There was even a case once of a Govt Minister getting drunk and molesting a female FA!! And if one of them is scheduled to fly, expect flight delays and all kinds of other inconveniences, without the slightest apology.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls