On Board an A330 with Thai Royalty

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)

• JamesMoloney5
    Participant

Yes, I am aware of that, but Thai has a separate SA Gold counter……interesting….did they challenge you on entering the First Class area?

VintageKrug
    Participant

No, but I was well dressed as always and don’t take any nonsense when in a terminal… 😉

syamyael
    Participant

Yeah but that is a counter and in the event when there is a special premium check in counter, usually they would only admit business class passengers and above. But my quiry is that i travelled on business class and i used their premium check in. But the premium check in has two sections, one for business class and one for first class. Am i allowed to use the first class section. Did VK use the first class counter or business class section of the premium check in in thailand bkk airport?

donkeyasia
    Participant

VK, like James i live in Thailand, and there is no way TG will allow any variation to their rules, ‘face’ and all that. there is an attendant checking tickets and cards and no way does a SA gold card on TG but not in first class get you into the first class check-in.

I presume no-nonsense means that when in what you consider to be the ‘third world’, you cajole, bully and dare i say tell porkies to get your way.

syamyael
    Participant

maybe i shall try my luck later this month for my trip to bkk….. afterall, sin-bkk has no first class to offer 😛

VintageKrug
    Participant

Thank you for yet another polite and considerately worded addition to the forum, donkey.

JamesMoloney5
    Participant

I guess what VK is saying is that even though he was traveling in Business Class on Thai Air he was able to check in at First Class by using his SA Gold, which I can imagine would not be challenged.

syamyael
    Participant

actually thai lounge is so strict that when i was travelling with a group of 4 friends, with myself and another on J class and the other two on Economy class, they only admit one of my friend since i am the only one with a gold card. I wouldnt mind going into the first class premium check in 😛 Teach me how u do it, VK 😛 A million thanks

VintageKrug
    Participant

What’s SA Gold. Oh, I see *Gold is how I would normally set it out.

Yes, that’s exactly what happened, James.

I was inbound on Swiss F, so maybe that had an effect?

donkeyasia
    Participant

i take your point James but even with an SG Solitaire card getting into the TG Premium First Class check-in not travelling in F class is nigh on impossible. Exceptions do occur. Perhaps this was one of them.

VK you raised the issue of your approach. we both see my definition at check in all the time.

JamesMoloney5
    Participant

I am inclined to agree with you donkey……….I have never actually bothered to try to check in at F in Swampy because the J class check in is never that busy, and everybody uses the same Immigration/security Fast Track, whether in F or J/C.

VK, you said you entered the terminal and went into First Class, so obviously you had already cleared Immigration after your arrival on Swiss (and presumably stayed on at least an overnight in BKK?) so any assumed privileges for arriving on Swiss First would have disappeared the moment you left the terminal on arrival.

In any event, Thai Airways will only afford you First arrival privileges if you are traveling on Thai. If you had the meet ‘n greet service when you arrived on Swiss it will only have been because Swiss were paying for the service on the ground in BKK……Thai only treats it’s own First Class customers like “royalty”……see there’s the segway back to the original theme…impressive, eh?

millionsofmiles
    Participant

I used the Thai F service about 30-40 times to/from Frankfurt in F, only once in J and they are always very strict, no way to use TG F-Checkin unless you actually fly Thai F-Class.
    You CAN, though, check in a companion with you, even if he/she is booked in Eco and also have ONE guest in the TG F-lounge.
    When arriving in TG F and continuing on TG in the next hours, you can/could use their F-lounge, but not after a flight interruption, no matter if *Gold or not, just their Royal Orchid Lounge (Business Lounge).

With LH and LX it is different in BKK, a LH/LX Gold card holder can use F-Class checkin.
    And, when using the TG F lounge in BKK as LX F customer, you cannot use the spa. So TG keeps it high for THEIR customers.

syamyael
    Participant

so in a certain way, it is actually a good idea to deposit my miles in miles and more…as it almost requires the same 50000 miles to achieve gold.

Daytripper
    Participant

Jeez… Will you guys listen to yourselves.

I know this is a business travel forum. But really… In the big scheme of things, does it really matter one tiny bit whether a Star Alliance Gold member can check in at the 1st or Biz desk?

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Daytripper: I totally agree with you that it is not big deal whether a Star Alliance Gold card member is allowed to check in at 1st class on a non FC ticket but you must accept the fact that many of your fellow travellers (especially men) regard this is an endorsement of their professional accomplishment and a measure of their personal success. Just like the fast car, devine watches and beautiful women. But not important to the Manor Born!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls