On Board an A330 with Thai Royalty

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

One of the more interesting flights I took this year was between Bangkok BKK and Hong Kong HKG.

On entering the terminal I checked in at the First Class check in courtesy of my Star Alliance Gold, and was informed that a member of the Thai Royal Family would be travelling on my flight.

Not really certain what this would entail, I was told all I had to to was ensure I was at the gate at least 30 minutes prior to departure, and warned that we would be using one of the more distant gates for security reasons.

As I was in Business Class, I wasn’t really expecting to see much of this, assuming they would switch in a 3 class aircraft for this flight, as surely Business would not be enough for this personage.

I was given a Gold circular stick-on badge to ease identification, and this did seem to help ease my path through security as I was plucked from the melee and whisked through faster than usual.

Went for possibly the most painful massage ever in the Thai Royal Orchid lounge, and then walked seemingly miles to the gate.

It was only a two class plane, and an old one at that (so no new seats, just rather 80s-style Business seats, tatty, and not at all ideal had I needed to sleep).

On boarding, my colleague and I were informed Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn would be on board. In broad terms, Princess Sirindhorn is roughly equivalent to Princess Anne, but given the turmoil which was enveloping Thailand at the time of my flight, it was an especially big deal to be on a plane with her, as her father the King has been very ill for a long time now, and although she is not formally the heir, the Crown Prince is not well liked, so she certainly holds considerable influence.

I was surprise to find myself seated in row 3, with the Princess in row 1 with her entourage taking up the forward two rows.

The stewardess informed us not to move forward during the flight, and to use the rear lavatory if necessary.

Most odd when the Princess boarded, as all her contingent (including several esteemed looking admiral types) boarded literally crawling on their knees (it is not permitted to be at a height higher than Royalty).

The crawling continued throughout the flight, even when serving the in flight food. We departed the gate and took off within five minutes; an exceptionally short taxi for a commercial flight, and were straight into HKG with no circling.

The Princess herself seemed jolly and chatty, very informal and relaxed reading the papers (as it was her birthday there was a full two page eulogy of her, as well as commentary on the unrest developing in Bangkok).

The rest of the cabin was quite full with regular travellers such as myself, and security didn’t seem to be especially obvious.

The Princess generously shared a slice of her birthday cake with everyone in the cabin, which was most generous.

A most remarkable flight, and one of those weird experiences (especially all the crawling) I doubt will ever happen again.

TominScotland
    Participant

Are you sure the crawling was not for you, VK?

Have a great Hogmany bash tonight all, and a peaceful and prosperous 2011.

JamesMoloney5
    Participant

I was flying from LHR to BKK in First Class with Thai about 6 months ago, on the ancient old B747 dinosaur. Two days before my flight I received a telephone call from Thai asking if I would mind switching my flight to the day after as a member of the Thai royal family was flying and wanted the entire First Class cabin to herself……………it was the current wife of the Crown Prince, and her 4-year old son……………..

I answered that I had to be in Bangkok the next day for a business meeting but would gladly allow them to switch me to Singapore Airlines, or Lufthansa, First Class (far better seating than Thai F class).

They came back to me about four hours later and said that the Princess was happy to share the F cabin but would I mind moving my seat from 1A to 3A to accommodate her and her security detail. I agreed to this. We ordinary mortals boarded first and then HM came on board, with a huge box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts, which she proceeded to hand out, personally, to the other F passengers, and she apologised to us (cabin was full) for the inconvenience caused by having her on board.

One of the two toilets was reserved for her and at one stage I exited the toilet and nearly cracked HM on the head with the door as she was entering the adjacent loo…………we both said “oh sorry” at exactly the same time and then had a laugh about that.

She came across as a very pleasant girl and not at all haughty, as I had expected. Her son was running around the cabin as kids do, and I raised my hand to high five him as he ran past me, being pursued by three minders on their knees……not an easy job….

When I recounted all this to my Thai wife she was horrified that I would touch a member of the royal family and that I should have a laugh with the CP about nearly nutting her with the loo door…………

When we landed at BKK the aircraft taxied to the VIP section of the airport and they opened the right hand door, rolled up the steps with the red carpet and there was a full-on royal reception for her….brass band, loads of top brass…….and everybody on the plane trying to get photos and video of it.

It was actually an interesting experience, and she was very nice and friendly……………but it was funny to watch everybody crawling around the cabin…..hope they had hoovered the carpet…………….!!

About six months later I was travelling in F class to LHR with my wife and 2-year old son on the B747 and the Chief Purser said he was the only the second child that particular crew had carried in F class on the 747 that year….and the other one was the son of the Crown Prince. She was amused when I told her that I had traveled on that same flight.

There were only two other people in F on that flight and my son, who wasn’t old enough to have his own seat, ended up sleeping like a babe in a seat to himself, all the way to London, while I stuffed my face with two tins (yes…two) of Sevruga caviar……………great flight………….

Happy New Year to everybody…………….

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Tom: You are slightly naughty and hugely funny!

PatJordan
    Participant

Very interesting posts, VK & James. Just goes to show that the really influential people amongst can retain the common touch.

Happy new year to all and safe travels in 2011

JamesMoloney5
    Participant

Jordan, your observation is interesting, in that you imply that the Crown Princess can be really influential……………I doubt this very much. A minor royal, and she came from “common stock” but obviously “hi so”……..!

Maybe if your comment read “that the really privileged people….etc.” it might be more accurate…….what do you think? I don’t mean to denigrate your post but I just find the choice of words interesting.

It’s 12:40am and the fireworks in London, Hong Kong and Sydney were amazing……….!!

PatJordan
    Participant

James,

Firstly, happy new year. And the fireworks in London were indeed amazing. Just a pity I wasn’t there to see them. Ah well, next year beckons…Mind you, Paris looked good too.

It may well be the case that I overestimated the importance of the Thai Royal Crown Princess. I think your interpretation is quite right, and I (humbly) stand corrected.

Safe travels in 2011.

Pat

VintageKrug
    Participant

Though of course we are free to say what we like outside Thailand, I think when the King does eventually die it will be a period of unprecedented unrest; with the Crown Prince lacking a popular mandate and with a high level of governmental corruption is it likely either a full revolution will occur or an alternative candidate would be proposed as Head of State.

Certainly something to bear in mind for those considering visiting – or even transiting through – Bangkok.

Apart from my single visit last year I have for some time opted for Singapore as a transit stop where possible; the shops, lounges and air conditioning are all far superior at Chiangi.

millionsofmiles
    Participant

In the mid 90-ies I was staying in Manila.

On A Saturday(?) morning I slept long and woke up by a strange kind of scratching noise at my main door (I had a socalled State Suite in The InterCon).
    When it didnt stop I opened the door to see some types in military garb and German shepherds looking hungrily in my direction.
    “Sorry”, they said, “The former Prime Minister, Mrs. Thatcher is taking a rest in the opposite suite, so we take care.”.
    Fine with me.

One or two days later I boarded the evening BA flight from MNL to HKG (continuing to London). I has just made the flight and then there were two things I wont forget:
    – The Purser came and said: “What kind of libation, and in double, may I bring you, Sir?”, very nice, looking at my slighlty sweaty appearance.
    – And then the FC guests were asked not to leave their seats and she came in: Maggie Thatcher, with her concrete hairdo, a minder and three security guards, they all took rows 1 and 2.

So Maggie twice in two days. And those were glorious days of BA, with excellent service also on the short hop from MNL to HKG.

Potakas
    Participant

Mine experience was funny,

I was last year on board a domestic (Greece) flight, as we had been on board the plane there was a delay as we were waiting a VIP, as i was waiting on my seat (2A) with another one man on the empty business class cabin the Purser came to me and asked me if i could move to the 4A seat as the VIP and his friends wanted first and second row and then the third to be empty for safety reasons , i said doesn’t matter and i went to 4A, then she asked the other person who was also positive to this change.

After 10 more minutes the VIP arrived…. It was the Greek Minister of Finance , the other man on Business Class got angry and asked why he had to change seat as he was paying his seat in full and also some of the Minister’s ticket (Taxes) , then he asked the minister if it is appropriate for Greece to pay Business Class tickets for 4 persons for a 35 minutes flight during such a crisis.

After that he started speaking loudly to the economy passengers and telling them to come and look who needs a business class ticket for such a short flight !!!

Flight was cancelled but i didn’t care as i had a lot of fun.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

I sat opposite Marrti Ahtisaari (former President of Finland, Nobel Peace Prize winner and UN envoy) in Row 1 on an AY HEL-LHR a year or so ago. He had 1D and his assistant 1F. No fuss was made and no seats around him were kept empty.

Indeed, I didn’t realise who he was until I was told by my neighbour in 1A.

Simon

PS Potakas – why was the flight cancelled?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I hope the poster who made the comment at 13.00 GMT was indeed outside of Thailand and that the IP address can not be traced to some bar in Patpong. Otherwise a stay of up to 15 years in the “Bangkok Hilton” could result.

http://www.economist.com/node/11920909

JamesMoloney5
    Participant

Yes, I’d love to know why the flight was cancelled…..was it because the rest of the passengers started throwing things at the Finance Minister and they had to get him off the aircraft for his own safety…..?

Now that would have been a very good story……..and a good result!!!

Potakas
    Participant

The situation was close to out of control as the economy passengers got very angry with the Business class attitude during this period, also with the fact that we had to wait for him almost 1 hour. There was not any fight or something like that but a lot of bad words. So they had to open again the doors and take him out, i thought that the flight was cancelled in order the passengers to calm down or to find another slot? I cannot say as i rebooked on the next flight without any problem.

I still remember a German family seating in the first economy row and they couldn’t decide if they had to go on front (Minister’s side) of the aircraft or to the back (Angry side), so they stuck in the middle of this without having an idea what was going on.

The politicians in Greece are not very famous during this period, i will post a youtube link with an attack that the former Minister for Development Kostis Chatzidakis had on the city center of Athens (on a good district) by random people last December.

It wasn’t something organized, also the people who protected him were also random civilians.The video is a fight so you should be aware that it is not pleasant, although youtube has not a 18 years old rule.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHIzALf8Yhg&feature=related

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls