Nut Allergy

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)

• BizLady Traveller
    Participant

Seriously questioning what type of person you should be not to be able to withdraw from consuming nuts for the duration of the flight…

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=977207][/postquote]

Maybe, or maybe not. Obviously no-one could give you a firm reply.

Perhaps there might be no reaction. Or if a mild reaction then perhaps treatment with an epipen may suffice.

Or perhaps if a major reaction then a diversion might be a consideration.

NG123
    Participant

@canucklad

I can’t see how you can compare someone with a nut allergy to a chronic alcoholic.

The key, fairly obvious, difference being the person on the flight with a nut allergy does not have a compulsive desire to eat nuts if they see someone else eating them, despite the detrimental effect this could have to their health. They are impacted by particles released into the recirculated and limited air supply to varying degrees based on severity of their allergy. There are levels of severity for allergies across epipen users. Some will go into anaphylaxis from consumption of nuts, some from contact on skin, some as little as air born particles.

The other obvious difference being chronic alcoholism is as the name suggests, a chronic condition. Which means it is a long lasting and normally incrementally damaging condition. You damage your liver and other organs over time based on continued punishment. A nut allergy is an acute reaction, severe and sudden onset.

These scenarios are literally the exact opposite of each other. One is a choice and likely to cause longer term detriment but very unlikely to cause an immediate reaction. the other, the affected person has no say in your decision to eat a packet of nuts and would cause an acute severe reaction that could kill the person in minutes.

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

It has become clear that on this subject there are two fairly opposing points of view. Nuts V No nuts with both views being strongly held and unlikely to change.
    Also a related PC v non PC discussion has also developed.
    I suspect that during the process we have all learned valuable information on the subject that may will prove useful in the future however the discussion seems to have taken on a tone of personal insult( BizLady Traveller above) that doesn’t belong on this forum indicating to me that useful informative contributions on this subject are perhaps at an end.

2 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=977373]indicating to me that useful informative contributions on this subject are perhaps at an end.[/quote]

I’d agree, however I do feel compelled to answer NG123

Hi NG123 –I’m absolutely not directly comparing alcoholism with life threatening allergic conditions. I’ve been unfortunate enough to witness the long term
    suicidal behaviour of quite a few of my now deceased friends to know the difference.

My point was more to do with the continual creep of obliging important (but still in the minority ) groups who call for removal / severe restriction of everyday legal things thus ensuring majority parity with the sufferer

Anyway, that’s my last comment on all things nuts et al

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I haven’t read all the posts, but my feeling is if you have such a severe allergy that you could die, then you really should not fly, or perhaps wear a special mask. The risks are great. What if, like many people you don’t listen to the announcements, or can’t hear them (often the sound is so bad you cannot make out any announcements), or understand them if you don’t speak English. People do take nuts on board. Just this week I had half a bag of nuts which I finished on my way to New York rather than risk perhaps a fine for bringing food into the USA.

While I do sympathise with anyone who has this allergy, if I had one that could kill me, I’d rather not fly or I’d take other precautions.

handbag
    Participant

Left BA as Crew about 18 months ago, but remember there is a Standard Operating Procedure for carrying passengers who inform you of a severe nut allergy. Can’t remember exactly, but vaguely remember an announcement must be made to inform pax that no nuts would be served in that cabin and not to consume those you may personally have. Saying that, I never had to make the announcement, as it is only for those notified with extreme cases of airborne nuts.

This week I flew on a flight with Easyjet. Crew spoke to women in seat behind me. Said they were aware she had a nut allergy and was it eating or airborne. She was very nonchalant and said “sort of”. Crew asked do you need us to do an announcement and not serve nuts, to which she said that would be good. They then asked what medication she had. She said none. Crew said , NO Epipen. She said, No.

I was not impressed. I spoke to the Crew and said that I realised they had to take allergies seriously and had a procedure they must follow, but the passenger also has to take a responsibility.

Either

A. She has a severe allergy, she should be very clear about it and also carry an epipen. Regardless of the announcement, if it is that severe, that it requires an announcement, then she should is potentially disrupting everyones trip, by not having the correct medication. That is not reasonable.
    B. She has not got a severe allergy (which is very much what I deduced from the conversation) and if so then an announcement does not need to be made. This inconvenience all pax for no reason.

I suggested that they should make the pax aware that if she has a severe allergy, then it is vital to carry her pen. They said that they totally agreed with everything I said. They didn’t however talk to pax, which I would have done.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[postquote quote=977315][/postquote]

Not to mention shellfish and pineapple!!

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls