Nut Allergy

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)

• Henryp1
    Participant

[postquote quote=977076][/postquote]

I’d go as far to add, of a particular age too, in your last sentence.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=977076]Bit of a shame to see slippage of the forum into comments that could be considered stale, male and pale.[/quote]

I maybe in my mid 50’s, live in a country that sees the Sun as some sort of magical glowing orb and urinals are my loo of choice, so your point is valid.

Would I forego nuts on an aircraft ? Of course I would

But my liberal thinking has kicked in.
    So, it’s not the issue of the nuts per say, it’s the continued erosion of my lifestyle Dominated by the need to ban things rather than using common sense to manage difficult situations or issues.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Canucklad – Surely you are not suggesting it is an ‘erosion of your lifestyle’ to forego eating nuts for a few hours, if a fellow pax has a severe allergy?
    I don’t think any airline is banning nuts per se. Would common sense not dictate that if someone runs the risk of an anaphylactic shock, it is not too much to ask for nuts not to be consumed?

I guess for some on this forum it is beyond the pale. Different stroke for different folk and all that.

capetonianm
    Participant

First world problems.
    I have to say I think some of the comments here are NUTTY!

4 users thanked author for this post.

Tony-UK
    Participant

I flew London to Manchester last weekend and similar announcement for someone with a coconut allergy…

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

I wonder what would happen if I announced, on boarding, that I had a severe alcohol allergy?

5 users thanked author for this post.

lostantipod
    Participant

This thread lost its credibility once @cwoodward used BA and Michelin Star restaurant in a comparable context.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=977096][/postquote]

I don’t think any airline has banned nuts? Just asked passengers on a handful of occasions to show a bit of consideration towards a fellow traveller? I would say by making an announcement the airline was trying to use common sense.

Luckily most travellers can see that benefits outweigh negatives over the years – smoking on aircraft banned, EC261 introduced to stop airlines treating travellers like garbage etc.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Poshgirl58
    Participant

In April 2019 EZY stopped selling nuts on board. There’s a lengthy explanation on their website “Travelling with a nut allergy”. Other airlines have already stopped serving them with drinks. QF, BA, VS, Southwest to name a few.

On the subject of allergies in general, my local garden centre has a notice on the door of the food section, advising that the products sold can contain any of the items on the list. The usual culprits were also there – sesame, wheat, milk, celery, eggs, prawn. The humble lupin can cause adverse reactions. Apparently its seeds are turned into flour and often used in cakes. They can also be toxic if not processed properly. You learn something new every day!

jjlasne
    Participant

Does it mean that, if you brought a bag of nuts onboard and willingly or unwillingly open it, you should expect an emergency landing and thus a delay of your personal journey?

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

Travelling last night on BA from Heathrow to Glasgow, while still on the ground at Heathrow the cabin crew made an announcement that a passenger on this flight had a nut allergy. Requesting passengers not to eat any snacks they had brought on board with them containing peanuts or nuts.

After take-off the Club meal pumpkin salad included a sprinkling of pine nuts. I didn’t like to point out the conflict with the earlier announcement. I assumed it was acceptable eat them as I hadn’t brought them on board. 😉

DavidSmith2
    Participant

I may be wrong, but I think the reason some people think this is an issue, is not so much about how to deal with those who have a serious nut allergy. It is more about the fact that a significant number of people exaggerate or mis-describe their condition as ‘a serious allergy’. And that there seem to be more and more people allergic to more and more things nowadays.

Obviously for those small number who have the allergy in a serious form, it is a major problem. But the enormous increase in those having or self-reporting the allergy in recent years is a cause for concern.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=977099]Canucklad – Surely you are not suggesting it is an ‘erosion of your lifestyle’ to forego eating nuts for a few hours, if a fellow pax has a severe allergy?
    I don’t think any airline is banning nuts per se. Would common sense not dictate that if someone runs the risk of an anaphylactic shock, it is not too much to ask for nuts not to be consumed?[/quote]

As I’ve mentioned, I’d happily not eat nuts on an aircraft
    Also mentioned that my mates partner suffers from nut allergy, so when we’re out drinking won’t eat nuts in his presence “just in case” he cross contaminates her when he gets home.

Yet after I did a reasonably thorough search on the internet to evidence on-board allergic incidents as an issue, the results seem to point to more incidents of alcohol related incidents jeopardising life and limb than nuts !
    And in more than a few of the cases , there was no evidence that it was nut related , and the simplest of medical advice is that if people at prone to an allergic reaction, they should self medicate.

In addition airlines are encouraged to carry 2 pens (Child dose & Adult dose) because incidents of Anaphylaxis shock normally occur when the person isn’t aware of the threat , nut or otherwise!!

Similar to the smoking ban, you can’t force people to puffing away, but you can legislate companies to provide a safe environment for all to enjoy. In this case by making airlines and aircraft manufacturers ensure the air recycling system to a standard than it currently is.

So lets ban alcohol as well as nuts, and whilst we’re about it people wearing perfume and aftershave and all dairy products !!

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[So lets ban alcohol as well as nuts, and whilst we’re about it people wearing perfume and aftershave and all dairy products !!]

How many people wear dairy products?

Swissdiver
    Participant

Customers who notify of such an allergy are also entitled to pre board early to fully wipe down their seating area.

I suddenly feel an allergy to nuts…

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls