No availability of seats with Avios…

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)

• Raffles99
    Participant

Ironically, I am flying to the US on Thursday, in First, in a Gold Priority Reward. And it is very much worth it, given that I will be leaving on Sunday night and working all through the weekend.

At 300k plus £500 tax, I value it a 0.67p per Avios on the basis that I would pay £2500 for a First Class return. Absolutely not a great deal but just about OK.

On the other hand, I have just snagged Toronto returns in F for a wedding next Summer using a 241 which represents a far better return.

JudiciousTraveller
    Participant

My husband and I have been hoping for ages that First Class to Vancouver will come up for September, but nothing. We couldn’t get any to go this year, and it is looking to be the same again for 2015. I am convinced that BA changing to AVIOS was one of the worst things ever. When it used to be Air Miles we had a good choice of trips, and had no trouble getting First to Toronto, plus Business Class to Mauritius and Vancouver. I always seems to be the destinations people don’t want that come available, or there is just a single seat, which is no use when trying to use a Companion Voucher, also when you want to travel with your spouse!! I have even seen departure dates come up that are after the only available return date – very useful . BA have 2 services a day to Vancouver, and you can’t tell me they are full all the time, also, as I said previously, we had no trouble getting the flights when it was Air Miles, and even had a choice of which service we wanted to fly on. Come on BA, start thinking about your loyal customers.

mkcol74
    Participant

I believe that YVR is one of the routes BA has “removed” First cabins from. The physical aircraft still has them, but they are just sold as Club World, then depending on loads they may open the cabin up to choose a seat there but still get Club service.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi mkcol74

You are right – F Class is not sold on the YVR route from 26th October 2014.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Perhaps one of the reasons/excuses that BA have for not releasing F seats for their loyal Avios passengers, because they are trying to entice Club World passengers to try F… (although I am not sure whether this offer applies to the UK market)….

“Dear Mr Sinclair

As you might remember, we recently contacted you about our upgrade offer.

For travel until 31 August 2015, you can experience all the luxury of our most spacious, quiet and comfortable cabin with our limited time offer.

All you need to do is book a return trip in Club World before 31 October and, subject to availability, you’ll receive your free upgrade.

To upgrade now, contact your local British Airways contact centre or your travel agent.”

http://www.britishairways.com/en-DE/flights-and-holidays/flights/upgrade-to-first?DM1_mktgCat=Email&DM1_MktgSubCat=2&DM1_campaign=1000000938301000cq1l084r&DM1_Chksm=103683287&DM1_SRC=&utm_source=eD&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Email&utm_term=1000cq1l084r&utm_content=100000093830

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Definitely NOT open to the UK market.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Not so sure SeasonedTraveller, I regularly see banners on this very site offering the free one way upgrade. In fact this page is surrounded by them, top bottom and side with banners promoting the offer as I write.

The bottom one is a real nuisance as it’s always (though for differing products) there and gets in the way of typing!

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

BA constantly have upgrade offers in the uk market, normally based on buying a full J fare with one way upgrade to A subject to availability. So in most cases silly money and often more expensive than a First Class return. When they launch the offer for about 2-3 weeks does include R,D and C fares but for rest of promotion it is full J. At this point offer becomes practically useless and a pure marketing tool.

JudiciousTraveller
    Participant

It seems BA are definitely stopping the First class to Vancouver, along with a few other routes. Its a shame they don’t advise their customers though. I wouldn’t have known without the help of people on this site, and would have carried on wasting my time. We are now considering Toronto instead. We could fly Business to Vancouver, but, and I am sure I am not alone with my opinion, BAs Club Class is awful. Its like a flying sardine can. Our worry now is that BA will decide to cancel the Toronto First class too, and end up downgrading us, like they have done previously when we booked FIrst class to Mauritius and then get a message to call BA, when they kindly advised us that we would no longer be in First as they were stopping it. Honestly, if other airlines would accept our Avios along with the companion vouchers, we would book our flights elsewhere. Thanks for the advise!!

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Just booked yet again a couple of Tics from LCY-Ams with Avios and $…to Heathrow T6 and took me all of 2 minutes. Used to be a bit anti BA but over the last couple of years find that I am using them more than ever…usually only domestic/Euro…but that suits me…Still got about 100K left so lots of flights to come..Incid they have some very good offers Ams-Bkk but they fly/interchange via T5…@ 450 pounds R/T.

mikeact
    Participant

FWIW. My wife and I managed to get 2xC to Australia, 2 years back,but we are lucky enough to be flexible..very. 11 months out, I called for any availability, as I couldn’t see anything, the helpful guy found two for us.We wanted to stay, and tour around for give or take 3months, to which he obviously said to call again in 3 months time, which I did. Hey presto, we actually had to stay just over 3months, and the icing was being uograded to First at Sydney on the Bangkok section, and back to C for the onward portion to Heathrow…all in all, pretty lucky I guess.
    However, next year we have 8 weeks in N America. ..like most, we gave up with Avios ‘up front’ but struck lucky with 2 ultra cheap seats ‘down the back’ @ £250 each to the East Coast. it’s not too far to go down the back we reckoned , so decided to go for them, and our Avios are now booked for internal flights, taking in Alaska, Texas, Oregon, and Vancouver. Not much comfort for most I suspect, but flexibility seems to be paramount.
    And I also have to say, that my Million plus with KLM can easily, surprise, surprise, get me back to Aus ‘up the front’ with my wife, using Garuda, but that will have to wait a while.
    Good luck to one and all.

I have plenty of Avios point and have been trying to upgrade to Business Class for months. Dont hold out much hope, any suggestions please.

nissefalk
    Participant

@Frustratedtraveller, If one is flexible one can get seats, I called BA Exec club in April 2014 and asked them to get me anywhere US East coast or Texas in F in October return December, got inbound IAH outbound PHX, last week I booked online F to Denver out April 22nd return May 10th
    there are seats but I think one need to be flexible on when and where to go

BRin1406
    Participant

I have booked London-Boston return using Avios and Amex 2 for1. Out CW return F in June. This did mean I had to check availability daily for just over a week.

Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls