No availability of seats with Avios…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)

• Bath_VIP
    Participant

As many have said, this is not a new story. Some tips based on my experience are:

1. Winter is better than summer.
    2. Midweek is better than weekends.
    3. Routes that have only 1 daily flight are worse than routes with 2+ daily.
    4. West coast is worse than East coast.
    5. AA shows much better availability than BA mostly due to their ability to show indirect options.
    6. Redemptions in Y & W are pointless as they are poor VFM compared to the sale fares usually on offer.

BRin1406
    Participant

How do you use Avios on AA? Do you have to use the AA website or is it possible on BA?

sparkyflier
    Participant

Can be a nighmare finding seats for Avios. Years ago BA were giving me no seat availability (London – Spain in this example), or very minimal and only on the flights at awful times, but American gave me FAR more choice for flights on the days I wanted, and so I used up some AA miles for BA European flights.

BA744fan
    Participant

@BRin1406 – shouldn’t be any need to book on AA as if they have availability then it should show on BA. If not, ring BA and tell them. You should be able to book on the phone but remember to get the phone booking fee waived on the grounds that the BA website is not up to date!

BRin1406
    Participant

BA744fan: Thanks for that I will try again. I have used both Avios and AE companion vouchers for several years now in CW & F with not too many problems, but this year it seems an impossibility.

Shanwick1249
    Participant

Yes, this is a subject that has been chewed over and over here, but it’s worth having a bite at it every so often to continue to flag up the problem.

Avios availability for long-haul destinations in higher-class cabins is non-existent — unless you can plan a year in advance and don’t care where you go. If BA thinks that’s a great incentive, it’s not.

Every year I earn a companion voucher with the American Express BA card because of the level of spending on that card — and the only reason I have it (and all the inconvenience that comes with an Amex card) is to earn Avios and the reward voucher.

The deal is supposed to be; I spend a lot of money with you and you give me something in return. But for at least two years now I have got nothing back.

There is routinely no availability to anywhere on the route network apart from China, Korea, Japan and one or two destinations in North America. For places like Hong Kong, Bangkok, Singapore and Australia it is normal to see not one single seat available over an entire 12-month period – and I check it regularly.

Another good trick is to have outbound seats but no returns for a month or two, or vice versa

Yes, there’s availability in Europe but that’s just not good enough.

It used to be possible to book on other OneWorld airlines with the reward voucher but that advantage has now disappeared – only BA routes and seats are selectable, and there’s nothing available.

So I really have to reconsider what I’m getting out of this arrangement and I think a lot of other customers feel the same way.

DerekVH
    Participant

If we all cancel our BA Amex cards would anyone take notice? I suspect Amex make more money out of this arrangement than BA do.

TheMidasGold
    Participant

I agree that redemptions are not easy, but I must admit I eventually almost always get what I want, although I do need to exercise some flexibility.

During August, I have 2 flights in F from GRU to LHR. A few days later I have 2 flights to JFK using an AMEX voucher in F. And 10 days later I have another 2 tickets in F on TAM using AVIOS from JFK to GRU.

Now admittedly, I have to be persistent and check websites every day, and I appreciate most people have neither the time nor the desire to do this.

But, it can be done!

AspirationalFlyer
    Participant

I have had a mixed experience with the redemption of avios long haul. I agree that availability to the west coast of the United States is awful (there was nothing to any of: Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Diego or San Francisco for weeks when I was looking for travel in April or May of this year). However, in the last year I have managed to book: JFK (out in first return in business/club); Dubai (return in First); ORD (in business/club) and upgraded on my return (to business/club) from Cancun to Gatwick. All in all not that bad, albeit far from perfect.

fatbear
    Participant

Every year I use my Amex companion voucher for flights to the Caribbean – as I have been flexible on dates and location, it has never been a problem to use. We are going to St Lucia in First next month, last two years CW to Antigua….

Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate your time. I think I will give AA a go, hopefully I will have some luck there! I think what has been drawn from this is that BA need to give more to their very frequent flyers… Surely they should reward their Gold card holders properly. It would be interesting to see what the outcome would be if BT did a survey of how many people were satisfied with Avios as a reward programme…

Bath_VIP
    Participant

GFC,

BA do make more redemptions available to Gold card holders but only in Economy. They also allow them to redeem on any flight in any class by paying double avios. AA also have a double avios scheme which I think is available to all AAdvantage members.

On a more general point, one of the most irritating issues is when you see availability in one direction but not in the return direction. A partial solution to this issue is to buy a one-way ticket for the unavailable and redeem in the opposite direction. Unfortunately, long haul one ways are ridiculously expensive on nearly all airlines.

However, with the launch of Norwegian’s services to the US from LGW & OSL, you can now buy reasonable o/w fares. I’ve just checked LGW-JFK in November and the o/w fare is £647. The seating is essentially a more comfortable premium economy (46″ pitch) rather than true business class. Obviously you then have to add the cost of a connecting flight but this does give me more options and it is one I will keep in mind.

AspirationalFlyer
    Participant

Hello everyone

Slightly off topic, but I wondered if any members of this forum might be able to help/provide further information on an avios redemption I would like to make. Last night I made a return booking from LHR-Delhi in WTP+. Both the outward and return are in October 2014. On the outward journey I am travelling overnight and would like to be able to upgrade to Club Word (subject to space being available).

Does anyone have experience of LHR-Delhi regarding release of avios seats or is there really no pattern? I would also be grateful to hear from anyone that has any recent experience of a paid upgrade on this route (or others to India) using either MMB or by way of upgrading at the airport.

Best and thank you, AF.

Tim2soza
    Participant

Bath_VIP – Do you know if the AMEX vouchers can be used on double Avios bookings with BA? Thanks.

canucklad
    Participant

I’m seriously not impressed, If I go through the BAEC web page, there is no availability to YVR. What is so special about Vancouver, that it’s near nigh impossible to redeem in CW or PE+, I’d hardly consider it one of BA’s popular destinations.

However, if I go to the AA site and check availability I can route myself home via Phoenix, on a BA aircraft. Since I’m not an AA member I’m not sure about the way’s and how’s of doing this, and I never actually managed to get a price displayed.

I know we’ve done this topic to death, but there must be an easier and frankly less frustrating way to spend my points : (

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls