New scanners at LHR – no taking things out of hand luggage!

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

As of 1 April 2024, can anyone provide an update re progress. Has the First Wing reopened and also Terminal 3 Fast track opened and operating the new scanners?

cwoodward
    Participant

Martyn – according to reports the British Airways First Wing security channel in the Heathrow Terminal 5 First Wing reopened fully on the 22nd March with the new security and scanners now up and running.
    It appears that British Airways will not be widely publicising the removal of liquid restrictions. This is apparently because, should the First Wing be closed due to lack of staff or equipment issues, passengers would be sent back to the main security area all of which does not yet have new scanners in operation.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Thank you cwoodward. Any news on T3

FDOS
    Participant

T4 does not have the new scanners, if anyone is interested.

cwoodward
    Participant

Martyn -Seeming security lanes featuring the new CT scanners now installed in Terminals 2,3 as well as 5. The UK hub airport emphasised that it had to install the new machines over 250 lanes by mid March. Unclear if that is ALL lanes at LHR though seemingly all fast track lanes will be now covered.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Martyn – was at T5 on 28/3 and Firstwing / Flounge was fully operational.

As a side note, the scanners outside of the F wing (south side) are still the old ones.

Gold-2K
    Participant

Went through first wing security today. Great not to have to remove anything from bags but surprised that I had to take off my belt and hoodie (as it had a zip). Everyone gets a full body scan, so not sure why that was necessary? Also had a secondary scan of my feet in a bit of equipment I hadn’t seen before. Was better than having to take footwear off. Again not sure why the full standing body scan wasn’t sufficient. But net net, big improvement on old scanners 👍🏼

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Went thru T3 fast track yesterday, new scanners, just so smooth and quick, except my carry on went down tbe secondary lane. I asked what triggered the check… a small deodorant spray, which needed to be checked.

Still quick…

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Safe travels Martin !

stevescoots
    Participant

see you tomorrow Martin! first round on me

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Well, here’s some shock news:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/04/04/airports-to-miss-deadline-to-end-of-100ml-liquid-rule/

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Summary of 6 airports and hand luggage over the last couple of weeks.

Heathrow T3 fast track (as above) new scanners, nothing needed to be taken out and case still needed a secondary to check a small deodorant spray

Helsinki transit from London to HKG – very simple, there was no transit security

HKG departures CX new scanners as far as I was told. Laptops only to be removed, liquids, phones and my tablet remained in the case. No issues

BKK departures fast track claimed to be new scanners – again laptops out, but liquids, phones and tablet stayed in the case. I usually have my portable battery charger pulled in BKK as it is bulky but this time ignored

Tokyo Haneda T3 transit security – definitely new scanners, nothing needed to come out of case. Case went through and security smiled, we both said thank you and all was over with no fuss at all.

Helsinki transit security – old scanners, liquids and computers out, and when I realised I had no plastic bag and a boxed gift wrapped Jo Malone (100 ml) inside the case, I thought I was going to have a problem, when the bag went down for a secondary. However, it appears common sense was being used and the liquids, which admittedly were all the place, were largely ignored and the agent let it all go, once the Jo Malone had been unwrapped and inspected.

cwoodward
    Participant

There seems to be no good reason for the need to remove computers at HK and I believe (have read -been told) that will change soon.

2 users thanked author for this post.

penultimate
    Participant

When the new rules finally come into force the maximum size of bottles containing liquids will increase to 2L. Before then I believe it is up to each airport to decide if they will allow bottles containing liquids to be greater than 100ml.
    Each country, and in some cases airports within countries, that install the new scanners, may implement the maximum size differently, if they change it all.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls