New scanners at LHR – no taking things out of hand luggage!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)

• IanFromHKG
    Participant

This may have been in operation for a while but I first experienced it last week. I was a little surprised after checking in with CX at T3 to go up the escalator and instead of seeing Fast Track on the left there is the new “book-your-security-check” entrance but not much signage for Fast Track which is further along. When we got to Fast Track we were pretty amazed that there was virtually no queue, and then the attendant said we didn’t need to take anything out of our bags.

Bloody hell what a brilliant improvement. Everything went so much faster – no unpacking, no repacking, and more importantly no waiting while some numpty ahead of us in the queue waited to get to the front before taking stuff out of their bag (one of my biggest pet peeves).

If this is the future of airport security then bring it on!!!

Interestingly I have just seen reference to an article saying that in the US it is possible to take liquids in larger quantities through security if you freeze them first. This is the first I have heard of this trick and I wonder if it applies elsewhere?

6 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Do these new scanners cover all terminals- I rather hope so but suspect not ?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Coming through Linate last weekend, it had the feel of a brand new airport. The newly installed scanners really did make the whole security process far simpler and efficient.

I am sure when Heathrow is finally converted and fully up and running with new scanners in all terminals there will be fanfare and plenty of PR on the news channel saying how the airport has invested for the benefit of it’s passengers.

Currently though passing through security in the UK is about as confusing as finding a lounge in AMS, everything in progress :)…..

CheerUp
    Participant

ARN had them too for my travels this weekend.
    Whilst it is a great development, it made no difference to overall waiting times as they only had a couple of the security lanes open!

Had they had a few more open most would have been straight through.

Rferguson2
    Participant

@CWoodward: They are being progressively installed at LHR T5 as I type. It is one of the reasons the First Wing is closed for eight weeks.

1 user thanked author for this post.

stevescoots
    Participant

I agree, i used them in T3 2 weeks ago and it was a breeze! i meant to post at the time

Cargoman
    Participant

Have been lucky enough to have had them in Amsterdam for quite a while now.
    Only problem has been when transiting through another airport you dont know if they also have the new technology.
    To be safe I still put my liquids in a plastic bag…Just in case.

3 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

I presume it’s just Fast Track at T3?

Came through there 2 weeks ago today on a European flight and it was the same depressing experience of charmless staff and emptying the usual things out.

I imagine with HAL ‘phased roll out’ means going fast enough to avoid government pressure but as slowly as possible to keep as much cash in the bank earning interest.

In fact I can’t help thinking what a total dump T3 is both inwards and outwards.

cwoodward
    Participant

HK airport introduced these scanners throughout the airport in 2022 as part of the major extension and renovation program.

The airport has also introduced and is supporting the new “myTAG” technology and app that tracks your baggage and receives notifications of estimated pick-up times and belt location (and more) via the “MyHKG” mobile App-
    https://www.hongkongairport.com/iwov-resources/html/MyTag/en/mytagpro-support.html

These tags are on sale at the airport at a cost of HK$90.00 and can be used at now more than 20 major airports in the Asia-pacific region (and I presume at airports across the world ??).

I have never used one as have never found the need but they do indeed seem useful.

stevescoots
    Participant

i do not think they are the same scanners in HKG, as security still insist laptops/tablets etc out,

w8ster
    Participant

Will be traveling through Singapore in a few weeks arriving into T1 but leaving from the newly opened T2. Hoping these new scanners are there especially if they have maintained T 2 to have security at each gate which I find annoyingly slow with only 2 lanes and if you are early to get in, there isn’t a rest room if needed.

cwoodward
    Participant

Steve- I believe that they ARE the same (or similar) scanners and I understand that from later this month computers and liquids will no longer need to be removed at security. Why the delay in implementation I don’t know.

This change was however only very very recently implemented (or about to be) although announced last October 25th by Hong Kong’s Chief Executive, John Lee. He mentioned “that the new rule will make security screenings faster and more convenient”.
    Liquids though cannot exceed 100 ml in quantity, except for medication and baby milk.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

I experienced the new scanners with CX at T3 Fast Track ust before Xmas. Told you can leave everything in. My bag was selected for inspection and when I opened it the security lady said. “Ah it is your conact lens solution” and the proceeded to scan it again and check it was under 100 ml. I politely asked if in the future I should put said solution in the tray on future trips to which she replied “might be better”. There were only 5 people in the security queue

2 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

It seems that there may be something of a learning curve.

GordyUK
    Participant

I don’t want to put a downer on this as it alls sounds great in principle , but surely until every destination you travel to, ALSO has these scanners, it’s a shallow win ? I can take all my liquids over 100ml out of LHR but won’t be able to take them home again 🤷🏻‍♂️

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls