New scanners at LHR – no taking things out of hand luggage!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

I disagree – The time saving alone with these scanners make them a very useful advance.

2 users thanked author for this post.

CheerUp
    Participant

Hear Hear.

Providing they open enough to improve the flow of traffic, and not open less lanes than the ‘standard’ scanners, which would cause the same delays already experienced.

1 user thanked author for this post.

w8ster
    Participant

Agree with the time saving aspect. I pack slightly differently if I know I won’t have to take it out at the airport and the queue moves so much quicker.

I generally take a carry on luggage plus a laptop bag. If I know I have to take it out, I make sure laptop and liquids are in the laptop bag to avoid having to open the luggage. On the return if I know I won’t have to, the liquid might go to the luggage

GordyUK
    Participant

That’s the key I guess. Pack, knowing how you’ll return as well. I’m not going to rejoice at getting through LHR faster only to have to chuck a £100 bottle of something on the way back because I’m HLO

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I am not sure it changes the rules about what you can take through – just how they check it

Chris in Makati
    Participant

The new scanners in T3 must be in Fast Track only. I flew CX from LHR T3 last Sunday evening (14th) and we still had to remove laptops and mobiles from our bags in the normal channels.

Nick Pike
    Participant

I think- but someone will doubtless correct me- that the UK government has directed that all major UK airport must have these in operation by June 2024. Replacing every airport scanner is a big operation and I suspect won’t be achieved in that timescale.

London City is the first airport to do so. You don’t need to remove laptops or liquids. However (and I may just be unlucky) the only time I have been through they were individually checking far more bags than previously, which meant it took an age to pass security. Teething troubles only I hope, otherwise the whole exercise is pointless.

w8ster
    Participant

Ah yes, I remember flying to Florence from LCY in Nov and got through security very quickly. However, as you said they were checking a lot of bags individually. My travel companion was one of them and turned out to be nothing.

LondonAndy70
    Participant

To your last point I once accidentally took a frozen bottle of water through security in the US – it was found and I expected to have to ditch it. I didn’t, and was told by the security guy that “the liquids we’re looking for don’t freeze”! I’m not a chemist, but maybe explosive/corrosive liquids don’t freeze?

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

Latest report from the BBC – “The UK’s biggest airports are set to miss the deadline for installing new advanced security scanners that will end the 100ml limit on liquids”.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68031052

GordyUK
    Participant

What a shocker…. Said no one , ever 🙄

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Having read through the thread, and the latest BBC report, I am still a bit confused. The new scanners will obviate the need to take laptops and liquids out of bags which is good news. But I am not sure if they will also mean that the limit on liquids will also be lifted. So you could bring (as a relevant example) a 75cl bottle of ginger wine in you hand baggage once things are up and running? Or has the BBc conflated the removal issue with the liquid limitation issue?

Montysaurus
    Participant

I went through security at London City last year with a litre bottle of soft drink in my hand luggage. I had mentioned it but was told to leave it in my bag along with iPad etc.

JJames3
    Participant

I came through T5 yesterday inbound from JNB on my way to MAN. At 5a.m. fastrack was closed but they are trialling the new scanners at the top of the transfer escalator.
    In and out in a flash.
    The team there are obviously still working on getting their act sorted, as I was met with at least 3 different people shouting directions concurrently or crossing each other, generally garbling the message that nothing needs to be taken from your bags. That included 2 500ml ice-packs, long since melted on my journey home.
    Quick and easy. Bring it on.

One other observation is that over the last 2 weeks in JNB, CPT and PLZ the same system was in operation, though I’m not sure that was because they were using the advanced scanners.

Anthony
    Participant

I believe it was just introduced for the Fast Track, at T3, as a friend who went through the ususal channel still has to unpack his stuff for security check. However, that was much faster than before.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls