New routes to Birmingham Airport (BHX)

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

• Midlands Traveller
    Participant

Given that this forum is for Business Traveller then with the exceptions of Berlin and Barcelona these new EZY routes are about as much use as a chocolate teapot. Unless you work in the tourism industry I guess.

Kopite
    Participant

Birmingham might be England’s “2nd city” (sic) but BHX is a long way down the list from being the 2nd ranked airport.

You have 2 problems that stopped expansion when they should have been expanding and building new runways and terminals back in the 1990s.

It is hemmed in by the NEC development, large housing developments to the north (Marston Green) and the A45 Coventry to Birmingham road which was diverted rather extremely to lengthen the one runway for the A380 to land.

But another reason I suspect is political. Birmingham Airport is not in Birmingham but is under Solihull council. Solihull is arguably the wealthiest and most exclusive suburb in the area. A lot of important and influential people live there. Including some that would have to approve airport expansion and number of incoming flights.

So that was never going to happen and it was Manchester that quickly became the 2nd airport outside of the Greater London area.

1 user thanked author for this post.

stevescoots
    Participant

There is still a huge amount of people that travel short haul in Europe using the Locos’ especially those who are not within LHR catchment area. 15-20 years ago i would be in and out of Europe every week and living in Lincs it was always Locos from BHX, LTN or STN

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Birmingham City council owns a little under 20% of BHX. With Birmingham council’s effective bankruptcy one can hope for the stake to be sold to an external investor who will want to invest, and will be able to afford to. Solihull owns 3.75%.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Some of you may have read the news that EZY (Easyjet) has chosen BHX as its latest hub.

It’s the first new hub EZY has opened in the UK for 12 yeears.

So BHX will gain as many as 16 short haul routes albeit some (or all) may already be served by others.

Interview by Simon Calder of BHX’s CEO Nick Barton and his expansion hopes.

Nick Barton says he expects BHX to resume North American services in two or three years time.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/birmingham-airport-easyjet-ryanair-jet2-b2515210.html#comments-area

laviation
    Participant

I will eat my hat if BHX gets a proper US service back within 3 years. Happy to be proven wrong though.

stevescoots
    Participant

I tend to agree, BHX would need to be a hub for larger carrier or one of the Loco’s joining an alliance to feed other European ports, or full code share at least to make it worthwhile to have a regular service to US. the ME carriers do ok because the demographic of population in the catchment area and industrial base in the area means a high proportion fly east and south, not west

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls