New routes to Birmingham Airport (BHX)

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

• rashman
    Participant

Great news that the A380 is coming back to brum with Emirates, but why is Qatar not bringing it back for some options?

A message to bhx mngt who claim they are trying to make bhx a major airport, but where is Finnair, ba, virgin, delta, Singapore or any other big airline? Is it because its uncompetitive to fly out of bhx rather than Manchester who as the 3rd city gets all the new routes

anyonebutBAirways
    Participant

I very Much doubt any new Airlines would Enter BHX, Manchester whilst a nightmare of an airport from the management side, is a far superior experience with great connections across the UK, BHX just doesn’t cut it when LHR is so close and can offer far bigger yields. the Facilities are BHX are just terrible, security is a joke, some of the rudest ever! as history shows there is money to be made at BHX, simples

Midlands Traveller
    Participant

I do think that the reason the UK’s second biggest city only has its seventh biggest airport is that BHX is caught between MAN and LHR. But in my experience it generally provides a better service than either of the others. There are indeed long queues at security up to mid-morning as all the LCCs leave, but after that it is quick. I think the morning crush is largely Covid/staff related, I do not remember such difficulties prior to 2020. They are certainly no ruder than anywhere else. And in fairness to the management there is a brand new security area in the works that will open next year which should alleviate this significantly.

The connections from BHX are second to none. Rail, road, domestic flights and helicopter links aplenty right at the airport.

As rashman says though, it is missing the large long haul airlines and these need to be attracted before it can move into the big leagues. Hopefully Qatar, Emirates and maybe more of the ME airlines will continue to expand their presence.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

I agree with Midlands Traveller that Birmingham’s ground connections are probably the best in the UK in terms of road and rail for an airport of its size.

Given it has regular fast trains to London, Birmingham could be regarded as London’s 7th airport (Southampton would be its 8th for same reason) so I would have thought some airlines who are unable to get slots at Heathrow could be tempted to Birmingham.

1 user thanked author for this post.

rashman
    Participant

Thanks All but I have been hearing from BHX routes management they have been working on new international long haul routes for around 5 years. In that time, they got Air India, Emirates and Qatar and thats it. We will have HS2 in 6 years and we have brilliant connections out of the airport now but something is not right. Getting to heathrow is at least 3hrs extra since you never know how bad the m25 will be. Manchester is no advantage since the M6 is a nightmare so Bhx is a good option

I have been told by Tom who handles routes that they were in discussion .. these discussions have been going on for ever. Surely there are performance expectations to hit targets or are these people allowed to continue to blame airlines long decision making as the reason.

Where is Andy Street to help in this case. I travel every week internationally and have to get to heathrow mainly or indirect from BHX. I think Air france and Lufthansa have done a great job in giving us connections but there is no AVIOS from BHX, There is no Virgin etc.

We have a huge business community here and most of it goes East. Surely Qatar can fill 1 plane per day if Emirates can fill 6 from LHR? Surely Virgin and Finnair and others can put on 1 flight per day to some key destinations. The market is picking up and I really believe by the end of 2023, we will be at the same point. More excuses, no new routes and celebrations when we get a single new ryanair or small Euro connector … WAKE UP BHX MANAGEMENT AND GIVE US SOME REAL INTERNATIONAL ROUTES

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1335071]I very Much doubt any new Airlines would Enter BHX,[/quote]

As I noted in another thread on the same subject it may be Hans Airways.

I ought to add that our recent piece referred to Hans Airways launching flights last October. But it never happened.

UK-India carrier Hans Airways performs proving and familiarisation flights

stevescoots
    Participant

pricing is everything, several years ago i used to use QR and EK every month out of BHX when the fares were lower than LHR on same end destination. then the prices went up and i switched back to LHR. For me they are similar distance in the car coming from east Lincs but i do prefer BHX over LHR. NWI was the same, was able to get good pricing to CAN on KLM for a couple of years then prices went crazy and never dropped back.

anyonebutBAirways
    Participant

[postquote quote=1335095]

@rashman
    there is just no money to be made at BHX, AA UA QR BA (albeit European on BA connect) and so many more have tried and failed at BHX as there is just more choice and lower fares from LHR or MAN, BHX is great for 1 stop via EU flights to get where you need to go , but direct, just no revenue in it, its naff all to do with the airport, Airlines are just not interested when they can make money from airports with better connections not only rail but air connections too BHX has virtually no connecting traffic possible on the same airline or alliance

Kopite
    Participant

I live in Singapore but fly to the UK 2-3 times a year. BHX would be my preferred airport but when I check flight costs on Emirates, Qatar, Lufthansa or Air France for example it is much cheaper to fly into LHR and BHX is sold at a higher fare. Sometimes the saving to LHR over BHX can be £500 to £700 a ticket !

That saving motivates me to fly into LHR and just rent a car and drive to the Midlands which is my ultimate destination.

Midlands Traveller
    Participant

BHX prices are indeed often a little more expensive than LHR. Not usually enough to justify the extra travel and time costs, but sometimes they are. For my trip to Milan next week I’m taking BA. Partly the big cost difference, partly it’s an opportunity for the two sectors to complete the minimum four for EC.

I wonder why the price difference exists? Airport charges – doubt it. Low load factors – AF or LH fly the same aircraft to BHX as they do to LHR or MAN and everything is full these days. Demand – perhaps there is not enough supply to BHX, pushing prices up?

Any other ideas?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello Midlands Traveller,

There are several reasons.

Main one is that both carriers you mention are acting as sixth-freedom carriers which is probably why the flights have a high load factor.

The p-t-p fare may be higher as these carriers prefer transfer customers because long-haul makes money whereas short-haul does not

In the same way you ought to see how much KLM charges from the UK regions to Amsterdam alone.

NWI-AMS is little more than a hop across the North Sea but if I had to make a day trip in Y class to Amsterdam on Monday January 9 then KLM is charging £450 return.

Midlands Traveller
    Participant

Thanks Alex, that is useful.

But, and forgive me if I am being a little slow, picking up on the comment of Kopite why would SIN – AMS – BHX with KLM for example be more expensive than SIN – AMS – LHR? In both cases the hub is Amsterdam.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=1335204]

Hi Midlands Traveller,
    I think that comparing SIN to BHX with SIN to LHR is not really a fair comparison, or should that be fare comparison:-) There is a lot of competition on SIN>LHR, including direct flights so KLM has to be cheaper to persuade people to put up with the inconvenience, and risk, of a connection.

Midlands Traveller
    Participant

Thank you FaroFlyer.

Fare point.

red_robbo
    Participant

The bottom line is that if the airlines felt there was a good enough business case and could make money from a new route, they would introduce it.
    It’s simply not enough that YOU want it to operate for your convenience.
    Basic business stuff.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls