New routes to Birmingham Airport (BHX)

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hence you find more short-haul carriers are prepared to feed their hubs in mainland Europe.

Cost of operating a flight from FRA, ZRH or AMS is naturally much much lower than the cost of introducing a long-haul route.

Having said that there is still no sign of new entrant Hans Airways starting its India service from BHX.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Sadly BHX has lost out again.

As we reported today Air India is starting several routes from LGW and expansing services between LHR, BOM and DEL.

Air India to fly to Gatwick from Ahmedabad, Amritsar, Goa and Kochi

AMcWhirter
    Participant

*Update*

One wonders if new entrant Hans Airways will ever launch flights from Birmingham ?

From what I have read this airline had only one aircraft and that is now in the process of being deregistered.

Mark’s piece of today is here:

Uncertainty remains over Hans Airways launch

Poshgirl58
    Participant

The A330 has now been moved to a remote stand at BHX. Wonder who’s picking up the parking bill??

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Good news today.

Qatar Airways will be restarting flights from BHX this summer.

More to follow.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Good news today concerning some new routes.

EZY has said it will open a base at BHX in March 2024.

It will base three aircraft at BHX so we can expect to see a number of routes some of which are expected to be new.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cd17pj77567o

Mike Tucker
    Participant

I have been looking over the past couple of days for a flight to Manila or Clark out of either Heathrow or Birmingham and the price differential is negligible if you factor in travel costs. I live a short train ride from Birmingham. So someone it appears has finally woken up and smelt the coffee!!

rashman
    Participant

Can i ask which airline and routing were you looking at from BHX as I go to Asia lots and this is useful.

Does anyone know what is stopping BA, Virgin and airlines like Finnair starting from BHX with loads increasing and the wider west midlands the largest inflow of people expected in the next 10 years outside london (150,000 expected) !!!!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1363552]Does anyone know what is stopping BA, Virgin and airlines like Finnair starting from BHX with loads increasing and the wider west midlands the largest inflow of people expected in the next 10 years outside london (150,000 expected) !!!![/quote]

Hello rashman,

I cannot comment on Finnair …

But if you follow this Forum and our Online News you will know that it’s currently BA policy to only fly internationally from London.

As for Virgin Atlantic (VS) you will know that it has recently joined Skyteam and this will affect the number of services services it will now operate from the regions.

I suspect VS would consider BHX too close to LHR and that Skyteam is better served by taking AF or KL from BHX.

MarcusGB
    Participant

Leaving from BHX/LHR on a Long haul Biz flight, you pay £601 Government Departure tax.

Using KLM, it is £23, as via AMS is a hub, and you can now simply get a separate return on KLM from £89, if you wish to avoid these excessive. highest Departure taxes in The World.
    Same with Swiss, Air France, Lufthansa etc…

I do not understand how people are prepared to pay such a tax to the Government, on top of all else we pay, and Cost of Living these days?!!!

rashman
    Participant

I think your response is spot on sadly. Virgin has never showed an interest in BHX and continues to expand from Manchester. It’s always the same with companies starting in manchester rather than BHX. Is that because of the higher costs, poor negotiation skills of the management or lack of premium customers (I think that has changed recently) but it continues to hinder BHX

I would love to fly singapore, cathay, thai to asia or even american or united to usa. There has always been talk of these airlines reviewing bhx but nothing moving forward. With the huge catchment areas of the midlands, how can an USA airline not support flights to DC, new york or LA. With the flight range and cost of A350s and 787s, I cannot believe they cannot make this route be profitable.

Anyways, its always the same. I am truly happy that Emirates and now Qatar is coming back and saudi will be here soon. With Air India, we have plenty of indirect asia routes and africa but continue to lack USA links

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1364027]With the huge catchment areas of the midlands, how can an USA airline not support flights to DC, new york or LA.[/quote]

Hello rashman, I would hope BHX’s route marketing department would have contacted Jet Blue.

This US carrier finds it easier to fill its narrow body aircraft.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

United (formerly, Continental) used to fly to the US (EWR) for a number of years.
    American also did, though for a much shorter time (JFK).

Both exited BHX and continue to focus very much on LHR.

I suspect their reasons are a combination of higher yields on their LHR routes (particular J fare pax), possible lower economies of scale (not having to employ staff to handle just one flight per day) and relative ease of travel between Birmingham and LHR (when M40 behaves).

I’m not saying they are right to not have service to BHX, it just seems less likely than more that they’ll return.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I bring you some good news today.

Reliable sources say that EZY (Easyjet) will launch 16 routes from Birmingham.

Some may be “new” to Birmingham.

I understand that bookings will be made available from November 30.

All these routes will not be daily. But all commence in March or April 2024 (Corfu and Kos excepted which launch in May).

The routes are:

Antalya
    Barcelona
    Alicante
    Tenerife South
    Larnaca
    Enfidha
    Malaga
    Berlin
    Jersey
    Sharm-El-Sheikh
    Heraklion
    Dalaman
    Fuerteventura
    Rhodes
    Corfu
    Kos

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Airport has now officially announced the above routes.

Easyjet to open new three aircraft base at Birmingham from late March.

https://www.birminghamairport.co.uk/media-information/news/2023/11/easyjet-to-open-birmingham-base-early-with-more-flights-on-sale/?utm_source=Twitter&

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls