New IAG member

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

• JohnHarper
    Participant

AnthonyDunn – 19/04/2016 10:21 BST

I rest my case about grudges and turgid ramblings.

Thank you for proving my point.

I still think this thread should be deleted.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Couple of threads have gone south rather quick in the last few days – let’s try to rise above it.
    Fact the OP has deleted the post would tend to suggest the story may not have been accurate. We all get things a little wrong from time to time, however, let’s not put people off posting.
    Even though (dare I say it and IMHO) the OP does seem to have a little grudge with IAG / BA judging from previous posts.

SimonS1
    Participant

@JohnHarper – strange to see the posts deleted, however I must be honest, I didn’t think it sounded right. It wasn’t presented as ‘IAG could be interested in RAM’, it was ‘someone who would know has told me the newest member of IAG is to be…’

No disrespect to the OP but big companies have strict governance around these things and if IAG were even half close to a deal with RAM then the stock market would have been advised already and it would be in the public domain. Just like the Aer Lingus deal was public info long before the deal was closed. That’s why I think there was a misunderstanding and that it was linked to RAM joining Avios.

It’s not really a question of telling someone they are wrong, however if you post things like that on an internet chatroom then it’s not unrealistic to be challenged on the content.

I don’t think the OP was accused of insider trading, however acquisitions of airlines are the type of thing that can affect share prices.

transtraxman
    Participant

The only reference I can find to IAG acquiring a new member is this article published by Travel Weekly today 26-4-16.
    “Former M&S chief tipped to join IAG”
    It refers to Marc Bolland, former head of Marks & Spencer, tipped to become a non-executive director of IAG.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/61420/former-ms-chief-tipped-to-join-iag

On the other hand, in the saga of Royal Air Maroc, the information appears inside this article published yesterday 25-4-16 by Airwise/Reuters….
    “Qatar Airways In Talks To Buy Meridiana”.

http://news.airwise.com/story/qatar-airways-in-talks-to-buy-meridiana

Qatar is interested in RAM but is in no hurry since it prefers to sort out Meridiana first.

icenspice
    Participant

In any case, I think it’s high time BA returned to Casablanca.

SimonS1
    Participant

Reading this thread again after a few days off and it’s clear the deletion/amendment of various posts has clearly changed the context.

These days most forums prevent these ‘drive by’ threads from happening and also indicate where posts have been added. Let’s hope the new functionality will make a difference.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Henryp1 – 18/04/2016 20:50 BST

It’s a gossip site, for the purposes of entertainment – no one knows you’re a dog/cat/alien in cyberspace, especially on a site where people (quite sensibly) conceal their identitites, so what more could it be?

I edited my posts, as they made no sense with the deletion of certain others. if you read them now, they are relevant to the thread and make sense.

MrMichael
    Participant

FDOS, Simon, I now have the same problem in the thread “should we be worried”. The OP has deleted their post leaving me looking like a bleating lunatic ranting randomly about nothing (you may think that of all my posts). I could delete mine I guess, and leave you Simon…..looking like the blithering idiot!

SimonS1
    Participant

@FDOS – it’s not the amending of posts that I am getting at, it’s the courtesy of saying that you have done so rather than just amending and leaving subsequent posts looking very odd. I seem to recall that was one of the childish games VK used to play.

In this case I seem to recall you making quite a strident comment along the lines of ‘If CXDiamond says there will be an announcement then we can expect an announcement shortly’. I can understand that when subsequently the OP bottled out and deleted the posts it left your comment looking a touch over-confident – however I believe you could both have had the decency to say that you had deleted/amended the original text.

After all if we all amended posts to look smart or relevant after the event the whole forum would become a bit pointless.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

@SimonS1 I’m sure the new forum software will have modern controls that automatically deal with this.

The line you quote is an illustration of exactly why I changed the posts, it didn’t make sense anymore. Don’t confuse that with me changing my mind 😉 Over confident is your judgment, not mine and you don’t have a clue what I am thinking, do you?

SimonS1
    Participant

So why not just put a note along the lines of EDIT: post changed following the deletion of the OP.

For the record, are you still confident that we can expect an announcement shortly then about RAM joining IAG? That after all is what you indicated.

SimonS1
    Participant

So why not just put a note along the lines of EDIT: post changed following the deletion of the OP.

For the record, are you still confident that we can expect an announcement shortly then about RAM joining IAG? That after all is what you indicated.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

If you want an argument, try this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnTmBjk-M0c

SimonS1
    Participant

You avoided the question then – if you haven’t changed your mind you are presumably still expecting an announcement shortly?

JohnHarper
    Participant

Given that Qatar who have increased their stake in IAG in recent months are now interested in taking a stake in RAM would this not lend weight to the idea of RAM joining IAG?

RAM itself is a small player though with decent coverage of Africa, it would plug a gap in IAG and provide synergy that otherwise both parties would lack.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls