New IAG member

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

• Anonymous

ImissConcorde
    Participant

I think that the story is here rather than RAM is joining the IAG group.

http://loyaltylobby.com/2016/04/11/royal-air-maroc-to-implement-iags-avios-platform-as-their-loyalty-currency/

SimonS1
    Participant

Sounds like a new member of Avios, not of IAG.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Time will tell.

SimonS1
    Participant

TominScotland
    Participant

Does this mean Avios earning with RAM as well, transferable into BAEC?

SimonS1 +1 – IAG is not a membership organisation so not sure how an airline can ‘join’ as a member unless bought by IAG. No suggestion of that, is there?

sparkyflier
    Participant

I hear RAM years ago had quality – but they fail on a number of levels now. But about a year ago there was a rumour they would join Skyteam, but I guess that will not happen now.

But if IAG/Oneworld think that RAM is the answer to not having any decent presence in Africa, then I do not think this would be an attractive alternative..

TheRealBabushka
    Participant

The sale of the Avios platform to other carriers outside of the IAG group is simply a strategy to further commoditise frequent flyer mileage. I think we know, and it’s quite apparent, that earning and the use of Avios is not the main draw card of BAEC. Since every man and his dog is able to earn Avios, even when they’ve not flown, why not extend the Avios currency regime to 3rd party airlines? This will be a nice revenue earner and will not impact the true loyalty arrangement, which is measured via TP count.

Henryp1
    Participant

Wow

With RAM being taken over by IAG I wonder which other airlines are part of the plan.

Will change OW membership.

Thank you CXD for the tip off it might be worth looking at shares pre take over.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

RAM would add a good network in West Africa, I could see how it could work (especially with Iberia.)

SimonS1
    Participant

Personally I would be surprised if it really does mean they are being bought by IAG as opposed to Avios. Not least because IAG are supposed to announce such things to the stock exchange to avoid speculative trading which is what could happen here.

Plus I wonder if IAG could integrate two airlines at once.

Having said that RAM was looking for a partner with discussions apparently taking place with Qatar at the end of 2015.

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

so its nothing more than a software sale, probably with consultancy (a new revenue stream for IAG)

Henryp1
    Participant

SS1 12.48 pm

Many thanks for the update, does this mean that if I get shares on the basis of CXDs insider knowledge and the endorsement of fdos, I could be ‘done’ for insider trading?

Henry

canucklad
    Participant

Would it be an issue for IAG because it’s a company outwith EU legislation ?

MrMichael
    Participant

Canucklad, if I understand your question properly regarding insider trading:-

If IAG are buying RAM then arguably all shareholders should have been informed at the same time. As the company is listed in London and Madrid those rules apply even if the company they are buying is outside the EU (although I don’t think it is EU legislation). A defence could be that RAM (given its size) is not a significant change to the groups assets and or liabilities.

Given this news, I would neither be a buyer or seller but will continue to hold my current stock.

Personally I am not convinced RAM is a good fit in to the IAG stable, it is culturally very different. I would be very surprised if it were to be so. In addition it would seem pretty inept. To welcome RAM in to Avios makes sense for IAG and RAM, but why release that news in the way they did if very shortly RAM would have been welcomed in to the full IAG stable. RAM would then have become a natural part of AVIOS as did Iberia, Aer Lingus. It just does not add up to me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls