New Food for Club World

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 127 total)

• DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Fly Egyptair and you can take/drink whatever you like.

Mind you, you will probably need to ๐Ÿ˜‰

VintageKrug
    Participant

First is very competitive and corporates wwould not tolerate increased prices. It’s certainly a “proper” product, and as I recall the good old days of non-flat bed seats, smoking on board, minimal lounge provision and extraordinarily expensive F fares I’d rather not go back, thanks very much.

It’s not the case that you can’t “bring your own” on board, though serving oneself would be frowned upon.

I’ve brought Krug along on special trips a few times; just leave it with them and ask they chill it and it’s no problem at all. It’s less than ten years since BA served it in F.

Stowage222
    Participant

Agreed re bringing one’s own alcohol onboard. You’ll only have problems if you overindulge and become a ‘problem’ for the crew.

RichHI1
    Participant

VK there are still big differences in First Class service betweent the tops Asian carriers and the others.
    BYOBA … Sounds great, can I quote you obviously with your anonymous soubriquet… Cheers one and all.. Mind you at 1990 prices there is no fear I could ever get cut off…

First-Pax
    Participant

Wasn’t business class designed for ‘corporate’s’ VK?

BA should aim it’s First product at those who want the very best and are prepared to pay for it.

RichHI1
    Participant

I agree with you First-Pax, with exception of some Asian carriers First has been changed into a Business Class + to allow Coirporates to flatter their senior managers. I think BA do try to maintain something of the special aura that it used to have but VK’s remarks show that the BA First product is aimed a t Business community primarily.
    I guess those who can really afford the kind of luxury First Class used to reflect now own or rent their own jets…

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

BA first is essentially something I think of as C+, it doesn’t compare to the best F products, the cabin is too big, food is not to standard, F&B offerings certainly aren’t F and the crew can be excellent or not.

BA is essentially a mediocre offering in all markets, they will get you there but there’s no wow or oomph about it. There is better on all fronts whether it is the check in experience, the lounge, the cabin, the service or arrival. As someone else said recently, they reach for the ceiling not the sky. They are not aspirational and it shows.

I agree with FirstPax, increase the standards and put the corporates in C if they are not willing to pay the fares. In any event, the fares are too high for the service offered.

RichHI1
    Participant

Henkel I think from the way the product is managed you are on the money. I do believe though that many of the BA staff do try to maintain something of the aura and mystique that BA First Class / Concorde feel used to have. Yes VK complete with smoking postprandial Cigars with a decent XO on board (Ah bliss)….

VintageKrug
    Participant

There is certainly a something special flying http://www.ba.com/first and whatever it is, other newcomers struggle to capture that je ne sais quoi.

I think First is almost perfectly positioned for the route network and customers carried; the catering improvements and full roll out of new and improved IFE, as well as refreshed lounges in JFK and improvements in Premium Passenger Training for crew will deliver the modest uplift required.

NetJets/Private Aircraft is certainly where it’s at for the super-rich and that’s not a market BA should be competing in.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“NetJets/Private Aircraft is certainly where it’s at for the super-rich and that’s not a market BA should be competing in.”

Are you sure about that?

RichHI1
    Participant

“Je ne sais quoi”, รงa alors ! be careful or you will be using the subjunctive next ๐Ÿ˜‰
    I think you are 100% correct on the commercial positioning and I do believe that some BA staff try to keep it special, even in the face of recession induced austerity and customer value erosion.
    The glory days of air travel and glamour have alas gone for good. Certainly in the West…
    I think it is debatable whether there is still a place for a true first class product on long haul routes that private equipment struggles to cover. However I agree that even if there is, BA and its business model is not the best placed carrier to cover it. Remember it is not long ago that there was speculation BA could remove first from its fleet. Something which LH, LX and many Asian carriers would never countenance.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

I agree, LH, LX, Gulf and Asian carriers would not remove first but then they all offer a premium service in all regards and at a reasonable price.

BA would be better placed offering Premium Business similar to their Premium Economy offering, a bit of step up but no great expectations created of anything that different, then they might have an honest offering as first really doesn’t measure up but Premium C would be about right.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Could I ask, LPPS, when you last flew BA First?

It’s neither as bad as you make out, nor is it as expensive as you suggest; on most routes it’s extremely competitive on both product and price and new F is an excellent (and completely new) re-imagination of a tried and tested product, coupled to a lounge network which knocks socks of most carriers, consistency of product often not matched by Asian carriers and an unparalleled global reach

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Private Jet charter is only for the super rich arena, when a wide body biz jet is chatered for 1 or 2 passengers on a long haul route. See more and more families and groups of friends using Private Jets. Yes its expensive, but not as you may imagine.

BA used to have a relationship with a Private Jet carrier but not sure if they still advertise it. Couldnt find it on the web site.

Lufthansa still use Private Jets to interline some of their First Class passengers.

KeaneJohn
    Participant

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/brit_awys.htm

A lot of premium passengers in NCW and F seem to be pretty disappointed with the food, IFE and overall service. Hardly makes you want to spend all that money to get such a bad experience.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 127 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls