New Food for Club World

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 127 total)

• Anonymous

eirtraveller
    Participant

Does anybody know if or when BA are introducing new catering offerings in Club World? I know the Heston Blumenthal programme achieved whatever it achieved, but is this being followed up by a genuine revamp? I seem to recall reading that it was.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Improvements in catering were widely rumoured to happen in May.

They will not be entirely along the lines of the Heston Blumenthal programme (so you won’t see seaweed ice lollies..!) but the fundamental principles of tasting the food at altitude and other suggestions should be incorporated, and an acknowledgement that there needs to be more investment into catering as the economy – and air fares – begin to harden and justify the margin for such investment.

I haven’t flown longhaul since last week, has anyone else noticed a change?

robsmith100
    Participant

My father has flown in both BA First and CW twice this year already on both day and night flights across the atlantic. While he felt the food was reasonable but not great didnt feel that food hadnt changed at all following the show.

eirtraveller
    Participant

I presume there’ll be quite a period between the airing of that show and anything actually happening. I presume the rollout schedule for something such as this is substantial – trying, testing etc. etc.

And as VK notes – it’s not that they will try and translate HB’s offerings directly into some new flight-of-fancy menu. Presuming the nasal douche is not going to feature…?

I would presume, though, that we are all agreed the CW food needs much improvement. I also absolutely loathe that plastic packet of nuts – what an awful way to start a meal. I have such fond memories of lovely cold canapés, little tiny mozeralla and sundried tomatoes, and delicious crispy veggie samosas on other airlines. In may ways, that opening gesture of the journey can be the most exciting, even for seasoned travellers.

VintageKrug
    Participant

The show wasn’t meant to be connected with the catering changes; they were independent of each other, although obviously the same people were involved in both.

So you shouldn’t really expect a Heston-isation of BA catering (though some elements of that might be used in F and possibly J).

It also takes several months to make what we might consider to be small changes. I was speaking the Head of Catering lady last year and she mentioned that there are lots of good ideas out there, but all rather hampered by lack of budget (and quite rightly so, given the financial risks faced by the airline last year).

Once you get a global procurement programme, menu planning and third party suppliers involved, it can take literally many months to make changes, which was something I hadnb’t really considered before.

I was utterly shocked by the numpty chef at Gate Gourment (BA’s third party longhaul catering supplier) who initially refused to concede that food tasted different at altitude, and secondly that all the tasting was of dishes prepared in regular ovens on the ground, and professionally served, which naturally bore very little resemblance to what ends up being served in the basic ovens by cabin crew at altitude.

I am pleased to see this is focus on catering, and more budget is now available. Though I personally have never had a bad meal in Club, and am frequently delighted in F, I recognise that others do not always share this view, and especially when compared with the Far Eastern/Asian carriers, BA was falling behind. They still remain ahead of most of the American carriers, even with the current offering.

The new steam ovens which feature in the new 777ERs (and I think the CWLCY A318s) and all new deliveries henceforth should alleviate some of the “burnt/crusty round the edges” issues which can impair presentation.

It was also mentioned to me that Managers and others involved in the VCC programme have appreciated some of the complexity of delivering the current service, so it is hoped that first hand experience of delivering the service will result in improvements both in terms f the crew procedures/workload and also the passenger experience.

robsmith100
    Participant

I think what BA needs to remember is that the food needs to improve across the all cabin not just in CW. I remember from watching the documentary (still available on the 4OD website) the BA tasting panel didn’t consider the use of a “nasal douche” acceptable.

Does anyone know if BA run focus testing on passengers before rolling out food? It would also be interesting to know if Steve Warpole is still in charge of the BA menus.

robsmith100
    Participant

One thing the documentary did bring up was the use of Umami (savoury) products in food to boost flavour while not increasing salt content. Now Asian food generally are high in Umami and meals suit airline conditions especially where the humidity is high and as Heston proved dryer than that of the Sahara.

I echo VK’s comments and on the original thread of this topic, that BA needs to hire a food technologist than just a celebrity chef.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Heston-Blumenthal-tackles-airline-food

Binman62
    Participant

VK…….”””but all rather hampered by lack of budget (and quite rightly so, given the financial risks faced by the airline last year)”””……..roll eyes and sigh deeply……….

BA are charging over £9000 for a seat in First to JFK, £11000 for seat to LAX and £9200 ( source BA.com). Please…. at these prices the food offering should be Fat Duck quality with service to match. Defending BA’s lack of investment in First catering ( my experience in the last 3 weeks was that it was good, but far from outstanding) when they have the nerve to have such fares beggars belief. Club catering on a tray is simply not acceptable and has not been for some years. Most carriers offer plated meals equivalent to BA in First.

Club catering and the First product are far too reliant on the lack of competition across the Atlantic and as a result the offering, whilst consistent. is consistently below par compared to other carriers. Qantas for example have been offering a far superior business class product for many years.

I came home in the refurbished First product with the air vent stains streaking across the seats above 1 AK and bathrooms have not been refurbished and the galley simply looked dirty.

The cheese board offered ex the USA was nothing short of a disgrace and would have disgraced “little chef” The crew apologised for it before puting it in front of me.

BA has been in decline for at least 3 yearsand have clearly lost their way and at the moment there is nothing to show that they are fighting back.

Club World is a decent enough bed but you would have to be living in a parralel universe to think that the current product is worth the price being charged ex the UK.

craigwatson
    Participant

Binman, im not sure what dates you were looking at to get a fare of £9000, i just did a quick search and can find first for £5500 in september, which is actually cheaper than AA, and much cheaper than LH via FRA (by almost £1500).

I usually find that BA fares are some of the cheapest out there ( im talking about mainstream carriers, and there are some routes where they are miles more expensive).

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“I was utterly shocked by the numpty chef at Gate Gourment (BA’s third party longhaul catering supplier) who initially refused to concede that food tasted different at altitude, and secondly that all the tasting was of dishes prepared in regular ovens on the ground, and professionally served, which naturally bore very little resemblance to what ends up being served in the basic ovens by cabin crew at altitude.”

I was more shocked when the Fat Duck clientele caught the norovirus.

Give me boring food anytime.

Binman62
    Participant

Craigwatson the BA fares are for travel in next 10 days and were obtained from BA.com this afternoon. Even at £5500 the catering offering is not acceptable nor frankly is the product generally. My flight was on miles thankfully, but even 5 months out BA were demanding £9000 return for the phx route.
    Disgusted.”….. Boring food well cooked and presented well, often outshines more adventurous dishes. Memorably, bangers and mash in business class on Qantas about 5 years ago was outstanding. Simple plain food using high quality ingredients and served plated not on a tray. So I agree with you.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Binman62,

I totally agree with you that First Class food service MUST be first class and I totally reject airlines using the excuse of budget contrain for not improving their food products.

First class fares not matter at what reasonable level on a reuptable airline have sufficient funding to keep the high standards expected by first class travellers. Why travel on First Class to start with!!!!!!!!!!

I am blessed with a home base airline (CX) with outstanding in-flight services and and also an adopted neighbouring airline (SQ) for most of my travel needs. The below par food service on BA ctually make me not to forget how lucky I am travelling normally with super air product and service in my region..

Elegance-in-the-air has largely disappeared with the western airlines with the exception of LX.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

NCW food

Depends on what you are looking for on your plate at 39,000’. If its gourmet, Michelin stars food, you will be very disappointed. If you will accept a plate of food to satisfy hunger in a very pleasant surround, served as 3 indivdual courses, then the NCW restaurant and menu is very acceptable.

Whilst the latest NCW menu may not suit everyone, as long as the crew are willing to mix and match (spares allowing) and along with the NCW larder, you would have to be even more obsessive about your food than me to find yourself going hungry.

On short haul, try ordering a special meal. The vegetarian and fruit platters being loaded this month for Club Europe were magnificent.

Just come off BA long haul to Asia – very pleasant on the upper deck.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Many airlines even in Business are keeping an exact number of main dishes and therefore no choice if you are served last!

Thanks god the reputable Asian/Gulf airlines stock extra so nobody is disappointed and the unchosen choices are eaten by the crew.

Let’s hope this is falls into the new changes for BA for keeing keep plenty of choices for their best flyers!!!

Happy meals!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 127 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls