New Club World & First Changes

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)

• Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Many thanks for the review and update Mark & Tom.

I have a quick question – have BA indicated when all of their long haul fleet will be fitted with this new seat?

I know the 747’s are being retired and note the comments about A350’s and a couple of 777’s. However, knowing when all A380, 787, 777 etc will have their retro-fit complete would be nice to know. Many thanks.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

My understanding is that the retrofit will go across the entire fleet other than for those aircraft being retired (the B747s).

As for the date of that, I’m afraid no one at BA would commit, which I understand, given how long these things take (united’s Polaris seat is a good example). They would only say that the dseat would be rolled out as quickly as possible, but I imagine it will take years before it’s on all aircraft.

I’d hope they do the old ones first (like those B772s).

Ahmad
    Participant

Is it just me or does the new seat seem to be better than the existing First one?

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I don’t think it is (having, admittedly, only sat in a VR version of the new Club Suite).

Aside from the exclusivity of First, and the far fewer seats, the Suite has a smaller overall area, and I do worry it might be a little cramped, although that’s impossible to tell until we see the real thing.

That said, it’s a good day for BA and I hope the roll out is as swift as possible.

BA-CLub-World-Cabin-Club-SU

Panda01
    Participant

I wonder why it took so long for them to change their strategy from quantity to quality?

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

If you have any questions along those lines let me know. I may be having a chat with someone later today who could answer…

stevescoots
    Participant

I like the look of that, a lot! I am a fan of the collins seat and adding a door puts it above the competition if like me you like to be shut away from fellow travellers!. With this being BA though i wonder if the capacity loss will be made up in increased pricing

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Can you clarify, do the window seats face towards or away from the window?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

answer to my above question here

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2019/03/18/british-airways-club-suite-reviewed/ (posted in Tom’s article).

I’m pleased the window seats face the window and not like VS where window seats face away from the window. I wonder whether upstairs on the 380 whether it will still be 4 across.

From the pictures, it looks very nice indeed. Worried prices will increase….

esselle
    Participant

Academic question as l will probably never experience this new seat, but can’t see any reference to seat width or the available space for your feet when reclined.

Also, am l right that the seat length on only 72”? Sounds a bit on the short side.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

It’s 79 inchres, I think I got that wrong somewhere but have correct it. I have the seat width somewhere on a recording so I will dig it out and post it.

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=923634]Many thanks for the review and update Mark & Tom.

I have a quick question – have BA indicated when all of their long haul fleet will be fitted with this new seat?

I know the 747’s are being retired and note the comments about A350’s and a couple of 777’s. However, knowing when all A380, 787, 777 etc will have their retro-fit complete would be nice to know. Many thanks.[/quote]

I’ve been told by a friend close to the project that the retrofit will take five years to complete. Also that as the current 777’s are re-configured with the new Club suite they will have the First Class cabin reduced from 14 to 8 seats (some will lose First altogether) and the existing F seat will be replaced with an ‘updated’ version of the 787-9 F seat (i’d imagine aves door). As Tom mentioned it’s unlikely the 747’s will receive the new seat in F or J. And apparently the A380 will retain the current F seat as it has no issue with NPS unlike the 777 F seat.

The new soft enhancements for First look nice too and are a genuine up game.

Nuts usually served with the post take off drink will now be served with the pre take off drink. A selection of canapés will be served with the post take off drink.

The crockery, cutlery and glassware is all new. Soup will be poured at the seat.

Customers will be able to customise their choice of sides with most main meals.

New 400 thread count bedding and wash bags.

Cake stand with the afternoon tea.

Nothing ground breaking or that anyone else doesn’t do in their F cabins but nonetheless an improvement.

8 users thanked author for this post.

nevereconomy
    Participant

I think I might find that seat very claustrophobic with the door closed, but of course it can be left open. Personally I never had too much problem with the yin/yang seat as I always got forward facing aisle, but the new layout will be a huge improvement, nevertheless.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls