New British Airways longhaul routes for summer 2011?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)

• Dandy76
    Participant

i wonder what effect LanChile’s acquisition of TAM will have on BA’s latin american operations? I love TAM – particularly their business class product operated between GRU and EZE. I’d be very happy to see TAM flying out of T5 to Latam….

BABenji
    Participant

Given that the JSA between Qantas and BA was recently renewed for another 5 years, that means at least until 2015 on the kangaroo route.

While the US destinations are obviously profitable it would be prudent to start looking to other areas for growth. Dare I say looking south to Africa? Other major cities in Russia? Samara perhaps? Other countries in the region such as Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan?

Viking777
    Participant

I hope Manila, im tired of stopping in HKG or BKK. As far as I know only KLM flies non-stop from Europe.

Bucksnet
    Participant

BA should drop its 2 flights to SYD and start KUL and MNL. Passengers could then pick up Qantas flights to SYD and other Australian cities as well. Connections could also be made at BKK, BOM, HKG, PEK, PVG and SIN.

Bullfrog
    Participant

San Juan Puerto Rico which would link up with the cruise ships.

Fort Lauderdale would be great for South East Florida. In all the years I only ever remember Concorde making a visit to FLL. But then surely BA would just an extra flight to Miami.

On the short haul … how about LCY or LHR to Bergerac .. Dordogne’shire’ .. for all those with second homes.

Listener
    Participant

FORT LAUDERDALE would be brilliant alternative to Miami so long as the timing of the flights are nowhere close to the mass of Caribbean flights that transit through Ft. Lauderdale. I’ve seen lines for immigration back as far as the aircraft doors!!!

Would have to be a 767 as I think runways aren’t as big as MIA or West Palm (Virgin used to ply there with 747 service in the 90’s).

Alas no lounge either at FLL unless there is plans for BA to build one? A mini-terrace perhaps???

Bullfrog
    Participant

I stand to be corrected …

“Listener .. if you’re saying VS flew to West Palm Beach in the 90s” …

I only ever remember MIA being the destination of scheduled carriers from UK to South East Florida.

There may have been charters into Fort Lauderdale …

Hippocampus
    Participant

It would be financially benificial, both in terms of aircraft utilisation and crewing costs for BA to take care of passengers on the LHR-SIN/BKK legs and for Qantas to take passengers on to Australia. However, for Qantas in particular, there is a symbolic element in sending your aircraft the whole way, as well as the convenience for passengers in being able to fly on one flight.

I think we will see both more transatlantic and Asian destinations. WW has said that there a few new destinations in each direction under consideration. New equipment and the new Mixed Fleet will certainly help make new Asian destinations viable.

KSHaggag
    Participant

I believe that if the BA 001 ,003 LCY/JFK are proving highly popular and indeed profitable ,then why not extend the concept to other routes from LCY to US e.g. Washington or Boston …an outstanding product ,a swift disembarkation ,quick check in and easy access to the City ……….I would rather fly an A318 from LCY to IAD than an oldish B767 from LHR !!!!!!!!!!

Ausline
    Participant

There is no way BA/QF will dump direct flights between Aust and the UK.. The route is profitable – look at the premium fares in AUD! the load factors are in the high 80’s, the JV works well and the competition from Asian and Middle East carriers make this route strategically important to both carriers.

My only wish is that I would love to see BA back on the Mel/Lhr route.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I agree it’s strategically important.

But it is not possible to draw the conclusion that the route is profitable just because the fares charged are high, or indeed because the load factors are similarly perceived to be high.

It’s all about margin, and while the peaks and troughs on the route are shared on the JSA I think it seems to work well; but I would imagine the goal for this route is really to break even or make a modest profit; it’s never going to be a big moneyspinner.

I hadn’t considered San Diego; that would be an interesting route, and especially if it started in Gatwick.

The 767s will very likely be completely refitted internally (though BA refurbishes all of its longhaul fleet on a rolling 18-24 month cycle) ; though they are not certified for http://www.newclubworld.com which is a slight drawback.

gregd75
    Participant

How about to New Zealand? I find it really hard to believe that BA doesn’t fly there!

Bucksnet
    Participant

Not really. The market is not that large and BA already codeshares with CX and QF via HKG and LAX.

gregd75
    Participant

So, I can fly to Auckland via LAX? Which airline codeshares with BA on that one? Correct me if I’m wrong, but the only airline flying from LAX to Auckland is Air New Zealand which is direct competition.

I think your information is wrong there BUCKSNET.

Another destination that would be great, after the introduction of LGW-CAN would be direct flights to Puerto Vallarta- another huge holiday destination

Bucksnet
    Participant

GREGD75 you are wrong, so I will correct you.

BA flights 7302/3 are codeshares on QF25/26 AKL-LAX-AKL. AA codeshares on those flights as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls