New BA offer for European EC members

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

• FlyingChinaman
    Participant

I agree totally to VK’s comment about the value of one’ time as the whole idea of this forum is about business travel and often the increased productive with direct and choice schedule flights justified the higher costs (the previous Concord flights were the shinning examples). BA offers the above to their UK-based BAEC travellers and that worth more then messing around with connections via another countries and wasting transit time in the process.

BA’s marketing tactic for the selected countries on the European continent (sorry PJordon!) is not unique as we have the same thing in Asia. Be it on CX/JL/NH/SQ. Many carriers world-wide offer keener fares to lure customers from each others territoires by going INDIRECT and longer journey time. Finnair is doing this in a big way for Asia-Europe travels. I don’t fume about being discriminated but rather I take advantage of the special offers uniquely to that market by working out my travel plan.

VintageKrug
    Participant

ConcordE!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

VintageKrug

If point 3 is irrelevant to the thread, point one would be as well, but you again chose to run to the defence of Uncle Willy.
    The thread is entitled “New BA offer for European EC members” with posts being made around the theme of why does the grass appear greener on the other side.

There is of course another reason why BA may not be able to offer the same sweeteners (offers) to its UK based customers. The marketing budgets may simply not be available. This could be due to a number of reasons; perhaps one being that BA simply can’t afford to further incentivize the British market based on current expenditure and budgets along with the financial seepages. Could seat 60B for example (only one of many examples), of course only with the Captain’s permission, on occasion be given to certain high profile passengers, after the “do you know who I am” routine, suggesting, the free upgrade? I have often shared the Concorde lounge with high profile and known faces, only to meet up with them at the same gate yet see them disappear upstairs and not sitting in First. But of course VK, I am sure you are not the kind of person who would fall into that category or indeed take advantage. I am also sure also you would prefer to see 60B generating revenue for the airline instead of it being as a BALPA negotiated pilot benefit and not being used for the reason it was negotiated, i.e. crew rest. By the way, gifting 60B could possibly incur a tax liability as a benefit in kind (P11D) to the “owner” of the benefit (i.e. the Captain)

Interestingly, as far as my time management is concerned, time spent in airline lounge and in flight is extremely productive due to efficient use of technology. Rather than destroying my liver with alcohol and increasing my weight through heavy meals, I find working en route to be far more relaxing and enable me to fully prep for meetings as well as responding to emails. Short haul flights to Europe and back allow a perfect opportunity for taking a rest, just what the busy executive of today should occasionally do – recharge the batteries, thinking time and meeting similar minded business travellers.

Unless you have seen my accounts, you are in no position to comment on my time value as I would certainly not have the gall to comment on yours.
    I really have no interest in who you are or what you do professionally. I know you are not connected personally or professionally to BA, I actually wish you were because then we would obtain even more interesting information. Sometimes fame and fortune along with access to the unpaid short cuts (aka freebies) does hide people from the real world of the business traveller.

Continue to enjoy your travels VK and thank you also for your many interesting posts and information, which are the most important part of this forum – long may they continue.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

VK: or may be I should call you Professor Higgins!! I found you rather charming in a funny way but then I am very used to the British culture, either from my education or within my living household!!

I guess it wasn’t bad (just one major mistake) having just flown from Asia to Istanbul!!

NTarrant
    Participant

Martyn – I think that in your point one you are expressing an opinion, which VK and indeed myself do not share. There are others who will share your view and others that share the other view.

Just touching on 60B – I have flown on two occasions when 60B has been occupied, once from SIN.

Getting back to the thread, my understand was that European residents (or those that have multiple addresses) get to reach silver and gold quicker because they don’t have the route network from their home cities and have to transfer via LHR/LGW.

It does stick in the throat a bit that I have to acheive 1500 points to retain gold where as a euro resident can do it on 800, but that’s life. The fares available to euro residents are also available to UK residents if they are able to travel over to places such as BRU to take advantage. Indeed Mrs T and I are jumping on the Eurostar on Friday having a weekend in BRU then flying back to LHR on the first leg of a journey to the middle and far east. Saving £2K on Club World fares

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Dear Mr T

I do hope that you and Mrs T enjoy your weekend away, especially with the £2K saving on an ex Europe BA ticket. The 800 vrs 1500 points issue stuck in my throat too, hence the reason why I decided to use my German address. I do not agree that UK customers should pay higher prices or require more tier points. If BA ever decide to reduce the UK numbers, I will certainly return to the UK offices of BA.

With regards to potential BA savings which may enable benefits and offers for the UK market, I am glad that you saw 60B occupied, was it by a captain, cabin crew, relation, friend or celebrity?

Enjoy your weekend away and if you do find a residence in Brussels, you too could enjoy the lower BAEC requirements and additional benefits which can be gained.

NTarrant
    Participant

Thanks Martyn, 60B on both occasions were occupied by “normal” passengers. I say “normal” in that they were not seen to be given better treatment by the two stewardess working the cabin. I will take note when we return from HKG next month.

Regards, Nigel

flier74
    Participant

Well to be honest with you that probably was most likely to be a Passenger using their Staff Travel Concessions as I have been told, the Flight Crew can release this seat for Staff Travel Passengers, if there is a friend or family member travelling with the Flight or Cabin Crew they then usually get this seat if the Flight Crew agree to it, if not they can be released to any Passenger on the Staff Travel scheme, it is highly unlikely that this seat would be used for a commerical Passenger, an inside source tells me

MartynSinclair
    Participant

………flier 74, or even perhaps a passing travelling ‘celeb’ trying to blag a free upgrade!

flier74
    Participant

yep Martyn that could be, after all I have been told the Captain has overall rights to release this seat to whoever they wish to, most likely to a Staff Travel Passenger, but not exclusively, it can be anyone they authorise

NTarrant
    Participant

Well actually, they were not celebs and since chatting about this to a colleague, he has travelled on a number of occasions in 60B

flier74
    Participant

ah ok NTarrant, obviously not all flights warrant the seat to be at the Flight crews disposal ,it is only when there are 3 or more pilots and then there is also the rule, if there is a seat in First left they can have this and give up 60B or 10J on the 777 and use First instead, maybe that solves the mystery surrounding the infamous seat 60B. As I also mentioned, they can give it up to anyone but the Captain has to agree to this, hence this seat is initally blocked on most longer flights and not available for pre assignment by Passengers

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls