Most outrageous airline charges

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)

• FormerlyDoS
    Participant

This one is bad.

Spirit Airlines (USA) $100 for had luggage not pre-booked.

http://www.eturbonews.com/29110/spirit-airlines-100-carry-baggage-fee-wake-call-dot

sandragriffin
    Participant

Interesting! Given the existing rate of collection, Delta Airlines will be the very first air service to collect $1 billion in luggage charges by 2014. There is a reason for it though, as airlines are struggling to thrive and have been for a while. Indeed, many customers are disappointed with the mounting fee schedules, but the air carrier industry will cease to exist without them.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Welcome to the forum Sandra.
    Yes, we moaned when we felt the IATA fixed fares and restrictions were too high and arduous. Remember the obligatory Saturday night stay for the cheaper returns?

That was abolished, fares lowered (or were they?) and add-ons imposed and we still moan!

nmh1204
    Participant

Sandra, you evidently did not read the Terms of Use
    That link is advertising and is not allowed.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I just booked a one way ticket MXP – ZRH – JNB with miles on Swiss in First just five days in advance of travel.
    85,000 miles + CHF 331 or £215.
    Not too bad I thought. Not that I know what the breakdown is though.

oldchinahand
    Participant

Good afternoon all, from an eerily quiet Hong Kong.

Most major shopping malls are closed and most major office area intersections in Central and Kowloon are blocked by police and demonstrators.
    The normal tens of thousands of mainland Chinese tourists ether have canceled there visits totaly or gone home.

However the demonstrations are peaceful and all public transport including the MTR is working normaly and all stations are open.
    Business travelers should experience nothing more than slight inconvenience getting around. Offices are open as normal

Back to the thread:

Jetstar Aust and Jetstar Asia charge eqv US$145.00 for 15kg of hold luggage on all international flights.

Their economy fare (Jetstar Asia) ex HKG to SIN next Monday is almost double the CX full service fare that also includes 20Kg luggage
    plus a choice of 5 flights a day.

I cant see the long delayed Jetstar HK franchise ever getting off of the ground as they are just not going to be competitive in the HK market against CX,KA and HK Express.

The 4 new A320’s ordered for Jetstar HK have been sitting at Airbus Toulouse now for close to 2 years unless they have been moved in the past couple of weeks.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I won’t name the LCC in Africa who are usually just as inflexible as Ryanair, but my case was 3.2 kgs over the allowed 20 kgs. The equivalent of £16 was demanded. Despite my very reasonable arguments the check in girl would not budge. Supervisor called. He agreed with my arguments and the fee was waived. Result.

ImissConcorde
    Participant

LuganoPirate
    I bet that check in agent felt really good about her job after that. You had a bag allowance. You were more than 10% over that. Pay up!

MrMichael
    Participant

Ouch

RHMAngel
    Participant

Outrageous or not, I’d call it also a Biggest Con.

Now I’m a fair supporting Virgin business class traveler but when traveling personally, is Economy (coach) or Premium Econ (PE) hoping to upgrade with airmiles and the usual hit for extra APD taxes.

One flight, the LAX clerk was adamant I couldn’t upgrade despite the 100,000 miles on my frequent flyer programme. Wrong ticket fare.

But I could have at £50 (for this trip only) an Econ seat with 3 INCHES extra (is that about 8 cms) pitch between me and the next row.

I’m not tall, but I paid up. Only to find it was rammed with metal box under the seat and didn’t recline as much, or something mechanically odd. Sure it APPEARED to be wider, then I looked at the rows behind and in front and they seemed NO different.

OUTRAGEOUS charge or BIG CON. I was angry for a while, I refused my business travel centre to let me fly Virgin for a fair while, flying other airlines on numerous trips.

Yes, I calmed down, and am back to being a business class and PE traveler with Virgin. Ground staff the other end couldn’t give a toss.

The real rub, finding the couple in the middle and aisle seat had been allocated those seats free of charge at the gate.

Airlines would be best to treat ALL customers as if they are potential business travelers. Seems they only fawn over you when you are, and you’ really are cattle class when you don’t fly the higher classes.

Rant over ! No its not – @Tony… that too.

Spending frequent flyer miles, and being hit with APD, taxes and surcharges that are basically 75-80% of the original price of the ticket in the first place. Like I say, recall this post – BIG CON.

openfly
    Participant

Most outrageous airline charge….BAs £5 per person credit card charge, especially on domestic and European flights.

If Ryanair and Easyjet now charge pennies, why does BA still insist on this appalling rip-off? Easyjet seems to be making their product so attractive. I can only assume that the arrogant managers at BA take no notice of our thoughts…they can do no wrong!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

There used to be a time when if you proffered a credit card but offered to pay cash you could get a discount. Now they want to charge you for using a card. I fully agree it’s a con though i could sort of agree to it if they allowed you to pay by bank transfer.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

As I said Imiss concorde, I had a very good reason but the check in agent could not waive the charge. The supervisor could, he agreed with me and gave the necessary authority. I don’t think the check in girl felt at all bad about her job, on the contrary she was laughing with me and was more than happy to let the bag go for free. Pay up when due, absolutely, but not in this case!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

A good example of high credit card charges can be found at Swiss.

Book a long-haul flight in Germany and the carrier’s card surcharge is Euros 18. Book the same long-haul flight in Switzerland and the fee is CHF22.

https://www.swiss.com/gb/EN/book/conditions/charge-for-credit-card-payments

openfly
    Participant

Hi Alex…..I am confused. I was under the impression that there are no cc charges in mainland Europe for flights. When I book BA ex-Europe there are no cc charges. Maybe that’s why BA charge an appalling £5 per person per booking in the UK….to make up for no charge ex-Europe! Maybe I am being too cynical…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls