Most outrageous airline charges

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)

• Anonymous

BigDog.
    Participant

Charges for – hand luggage; hold luggage; overweight hand luggage; refreshments etc….

Before you open the link…

Which airline do you reckon will feature in most of the 10 categories?
    Under what category does BA take the title of the most outrageous? (Binman will get it.)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/10039775/The-most-outrageous-airline-charges.html#?frame=2558027

canucklad
    Participant

Almost a Friday Fun post Big Dog….. :))

Firstly Binman’s favourite must be BA’s Fuel Surcharges…Easy peasy

The airline that features most….too easy to say Ryanscare…….so I’m going to jump the channel and guess KLM, and then have a 2nd guess by crossing the Atlantic and choosing Jet Blue…..and then my 3rd guess would be United !

HarryMonk
    Participant

Many of the fees relating to mile redemption.

Last week I mentioned on one of the threads here Delta’s carrier imposed “International Surcharge”, often several hundred dollars, which only seems to apply when making a Skymiles redemption booking in which the itinerary commences in Europe thus effectively discriminating against their European members.

…and todays, BA’s charges for redeeming Avios.

I was looking to redeem Avios for a a one way economy ticket in July from ICN to KUL. Availability, good, direct flight on MH but fees, just where do BA/Avios get their numbers?

BA/Avios fees

Airport/ Gov Taxes = £16.40
    Fuel Surcharge = £1.30
    Insurance Surcharge = £1.20
    European fuel surcharge/ US Carrier surcharge = £74.10 *
    Total = £93.00

* What exactly is this? Last time I looked neither ICN or KUL were in Europe and neither was MH a European or US carrier

Now if I was to buy the ticket directly from MH the fees/surcharges would be as follows

Airport / Gov Taxes = 28000 Won (£16.40) – same as BA/Avios
    Fuel / Insurance Surcharge = 65400 Won (£38.49)
    Total = £54.89

So BA/Avios in this particular charge approx. £38 more in fees and charges. Why? I know its no going to break the bank but I’m sure in other cases it could be a lot higher. Surely the fees and charges BA/Avios charge should be the same as MH after all its MH who are actually operating the flight?

Binman62
    Participant

HarryMonk

BA charge fees based on their own fees for a similar journey, even when the operating carrier does not. They effectively keep the money and is a disgrace.

Hopefull the US DOT can put a stop to this and to the outrageous fuel surcharges….

I am not a alone!! 🙂

Tim2soza
    Participant

Being quoted £690 today by AA to change MEM-DFW-LAX to MEM-DFW-SFO (one way), when the same flight was being sold for $475 (Yes, $) for a fresh ticket, same seat. Cancelled the first ticket and booked on another airline.

🙂

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Flying Kalula, a S. African LCC, you’re allowed 23kgs per person.We (Mrs. LP that is) had 4 bags, total weight 70kgs, except one bag was 26 kgs and the rest around 12 kgs each. The check-in lady then wanted to charge us a fee for the one piece which we found unfair and illogical as we had not exceeded the total allowed.

Mrs. LP then started to re-arrange all the cases, holding up proceedings for 10 minutes, and then checked them in without problem.

Insane!!!

HarryMonk
    Participant

Binman69

As well as the US DOT taking a look at BA perhaps the British aviation, consumer and competition authorities should be taking a look at the fuel surcharge situation, not just BA but all airlines operating into the UK. After all there have been proven issues in the past.

Maybe the US DOT could also take a look at Delta’s “International Surcharge”, although having said that the US authorities are not very good at looking inwards and close to home

kenjieW
    Participant

Baggage fees are among the many things that an increasing number of air passengers are not satisfied with. The greatest collector is Delta Airlines, which accumulated almost $900 million in baggage charges alone last year. The airline will hit $1 billion in baggage charges by 2014 at its existing pace. Article resource: Delta Airlines.

MarcusUK
    Participant

I think it a disgrace that despite legislation, that Airlines continue to charge 500% more than the transaction cost for credit cards, bought on their UK websites (eg BA, KLM, AF, LH etc).

Who is supposed to enforce this, and why are they not preventing this?

The others, the “Carrier imposed fuel surcharges”, some that get charged out from the EU, but not if you book a one way back!

Redemption miles have gone up 20% at AF/KLM, and the overall charges for a flight paid for with miles, can be over Euros 850 for two people choosing a Business cabin redemption!

travelworld
    Participant

I object to anything that you can’t avoid paying. If you can’t avoid it, it should be included in the headline ticket price

David
    Participant

I absolutely agree, travelworld…

I am really annoyed with the “ticket service charge” that is charged (normally in the region of 2 Euros / 2 GBP) when you buy a ticket directly on the airline’s own website. This is in addition to the credit card fee that is assessed too…

PerthWA
    Participant

Hope one of your knowledgable BA flyers can answer this .. I think outrageous charge or tell me I’m wrong… BA baggage policy out of the USA seems to have been cut to one bag rather than the standard 2. It’s not affecting me as one world emerald I’ll get 2 anyway BUT my co traveller who is on same ticket as me as ridiculous situation of PER/JFK Qantas 2 bags allowed, BA JFK/LHR one bag – no Qantas code share available LHR/DXB Qantas code share – two bags! Silly part is, we are only transiting LHR and looks like having to pay for the extra bag to travel for a connection leg! Is this correct?! Help and thanks in anticipation.

BA4ever
    Participant

So, basically, a low cost airline is low cost if you are fit and healthy, have no luggage, are not hungry and have a printer…

Got to say, I was always wondering what’s with the fuel surcharge when it comes to BA. It’s the same with petrol prices in Greece. Irrelevant to oil prices and always going up!!!

BA4ever
    Participant

PertWA, when flying BA on a trip with more-than-one legs, you are entitled to check the number of bags of the flight with the highest allowance, for all your flights.
    For example, if one of your flights is business (two bags) and the other is domestic (one bag) you can check in two bags on the domestic flight.
    That is -of course- if all your flights are booked in one ticket and the carrier is BA.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls