More BA T5 lounge experiences (formerly disasters)*

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 803 total)

• StephenLondon
    Participant

SimonS1 – I know at least three people who were consulted last year…they happened to be in the lounges and were approached by a lady doing surveys concerning their lounge experience.

Add to this the normal tender review process (every, what, three years for a contract of the size and complexity) plus the change in leadership team and future vision of the airline and voila, change of supplier.

Much as I think we would all like to feel we are valuable to airlines, I highly doubt any carrier’s primary focus would be on two business travel web boards where posters are anonymous.

SimonS1
    Participant

I didn’t mean they would do the consultation on the forums, just that there are many regular travellers who use them (whether anonymously or not).

On the one hand BA claim they haven’t saved any money, and on the other hand I have yet to come across many people who think the current product is an improvement. I couldn’t comment on the “future vision of the airline” as I’m not sure what that really is?

The whole think strikes me as a bit of a distraction – I would have thought BA has better things to spend its management time on like Iberia, 747 reliability etc.

Be_Nice
    Participant

Considering the continued issues with catering its very disappointing that BA have not been more proactive. It’s probably time that they have senior managers in the lounge ready to engage with passengers there and then and not wait for written feedback.

But considering the offering in some overseas lounges T5 still remains a better selection.

Marlene

JonathanM8
    Participant

In the interest of balanced reporting……..
    I travelled through T5 First Lounge this morning and things are definitely improving, albeit slowly. Two flavours of crisp were in evidence, and the cheese and cold meats offering is actually wider than in the previous set up. The buffet looks fuller now and my scrambled eggs and mushrooms were actually well cooked and tasted fine. I spoke to the manager, who was grateful for the ‘its slowly improving here’ message from me. He suggested that there were still more improvements to come.
    I for one feel that the breakfast offering is at least on a par with where it was before, if not sightly ahead in some respects

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ SimonS1 – 09/07/2013 09:37 GMT

But the clear opinion expressed by no few is that the change owes itself entirely to cost reductions which – if StephenLondon is to be believed – is apparently not the case, and then that the change is delivering a worse service. Having been through T5 Galleries South before and after, I do not see that things have deteriorated but they have changed in certain subtle respects.

The constant drip, drip, drone of complaint on BT is that BA’s service standards have dipped and need improving. Perhaps this contract renewal should be seen as one incremental step in that process, hopefully to be followed, with the arrival of new aircraft, by improved reliability and hard-product improvements in the air.

Rome wasn’t built in a day and even if you flick a switch on a supertanker’s bridge, it still physically cannot alter course “just like that”. There are issues such as momentum and inertia which apply equally to the metaphysical world of corporate and machine bureaucracies. If change is to be durable, it is unlikely to be delivered instantaneously. I rather wonder at some of the real-world, large organisation experience (or lack of) on the part of some posters in their seeming inability to grasp this simple point.

JohnHarper
    Participant

To try to turn this thread to a positive and focus on what I would like to see on a hot buffet is:

A simple pasta and sauce dish
    One dish that sits well with rice e.g. a curry, chilli or the like
    A noodle stir fry
    At peak times a carvery
    Two choices of soup
    A couple of choices of pies
    A decent selection of fresh vegetables
    A collection of sauces and graveys.

In addition a decent salad bar with meats, fish and cheeses as well as some decent sandwiches – which are in rolls or bread without the crusts cut off and are not made with plastic bag bread.

If that offering was there, was fresh and topped up regularly I wouldn’t complain. I don’t really do ‘fussy food’ and am reasonably easy to please.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

plus sufficient staff to keep the place tidy of food splashes and tables clear of plates…

Agree with JH, no need for anything too fussy………… (just healthy)

CXDiamond
    Participant

I agree, John has the right ideas and Martyn too, enough staff to keep the whole area looking clean and fresh. I do dislike sitting down at a table where there is still someone else’s mess and I suspect others do to.

Hamewilldayme
    Participant

The lounges themselves need a refresh as they are stating to look tired.

canucklad
    Participant

What about setting up a fish and chips shop type counter ?

I’ve enjoyed this topic….it does however remind me about Frederick Herzberg’s hygiene factors model : )

Cloud-9
    Participant

Currently in BA Lounge, staff very polite, tables cleared promptly. Excellent food – mustard chicken, thai curry, beef bourgenoune.

Cloud-9
    Participant

Currently in BA Lounge, staff very polite, tables cleared promptly. Excellent food – mustard chicken, thai curry, beef bourgenoune.

So BA management have listened – or read – BTs forum and acted? No! this is T3!

JonathanM8
    Participant

Went through T5 First lounge yesterday early morning. Admittedly it was early, so not many passengers around, but everything looked pristine and plentiful, the array of options was cetainly back up to before the contractor change, and actually the food tasted better.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ Cloud-9 – 07/08/2013 11:32 GMT

Wow! Mustard chicken, Thai curry and beef bourguignon all at one sitting. That’s a prodigious appetite you’ve got there…. I’m starting to understand how food consumption has increased by 70% ยง ๐Ÿ™‚

KeaneJohn
    Participant

I went through T5 early on Sunday morning. I used the B lounge as I was travelling to Frankfurt on the A380 which left from the C gates. I was a bit miffed as I asked at the Customer Service Centre if the Frankfurt flight was leaving from the C gates and she said yes it was. This was at 4.55am and she said I could head across to the B gates as the lounge was already open. Arrived at B lounge about 10 minutes later to find that it didn’t open until 5.30am. Not a big issue in the grand scheme of things but I had been up since stupid o’clock and a nice coffee and glass of orange juice would have been a lifesaver at 5am. Of course realise I could have gone to South or North so lesson learnt.

I was the first into the lounge and found a seat, grabbed a coffee and said orange juice. The seat next to me had a massive stain and was tired but I have to say the breakfast offering was great. Bacon rolls and a vegetarian offer, yoghurt, fruit salad, toast and jams… not sure about the open pots though but I was the first to use them so OK. Attentive staff and champagne on request. All in all a great offering.

The lunch offering seems to have improved with snacks, salads, quiche, jacket potatoes etc so that is good. The evening meal offering is great as well with the hot food.. Why not extend that through the afternoon as well as having the afternoon tea. giving people the choice and see what they actually want ? No harm in that surely..

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 803 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls