Mixed fleet -> mixed feelings

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)

• BigDog.
    Participant

Brief-KPN a German/Dutch Telecom conglomerate today announced a Frank Vander Post as its new CCO (Chief Commercial Officer). As such I believe it reasonable to speculate that he was headhunted whilst in the employ of BA and chose to move. As is usual in these circumstances an element of garden leave as part of the notice period or to take unused holiday allowance is usual.

I understand his tenure has been viewed mostly positively by his team as being hands on also by both cc and customers as a fixer who gets issues addressed – occasionally quickly.

Guess he’ll be distraught at missing out on future “Taste of London” events with long conversations lectures/guidance from bygone posters. Good luck to him though.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Another disastrous mixed fleet experience. And this one is even scary, security-wise (for instance a CSM leaning on the emergency exit door during the flight). I’ve written a review on it: http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/British-Airways-B747-400-High-J-2

openfly
    Participant

@Swissdiver.

You can lean on an emergency exit door as hard as you like inflight. You can try to move the handle as hard as you like, nothing will move the door. Aircraft doors are plug type and the slightest amount of pressurisation forces them closed against their frame.

The only time that you have slight negative pressurisation is on the ground taxying and on the take off roll until the main wheel oleos are fully extended at the point of take off and the pressurisation initiates. So the emergency exits could be opened on the ground if an emergency arises and leaning on the door handle could cause an embarrassing situation, but only if the handle is moved out of it’s locked position.

So it is hardly a “disastrous mixed fleet experience”.

openfly
    Participant

Just had a perfect, yes perfect, flight with a mixed-fleet crew. First Class back from CPT a couple of days ago. One of the best flights on any airline in years. BA can do it when they try.

Swissdiver
    Participant

@ openfly,
    Disastrous does’t come from the door thing but from many other aspects. This is why I wrote a review about it…

Cheeryguy
    Participant

777’s. Partially pressurise on the ground once engines are running.

mkcol74
    Participant

As do 737s as I learned many years ago while taxying to departure when I had to retrieve a safety strap which had got trapped in R2. Not at all easy to crack open even a little.

BigDog.
    Participant

I understand there are 4/6 dead bolts which are secured into the frame, however in some circumstances eg If the aircraft doesn’t start at third time of asking, they are automatically released. The pilot needs to ensure the override is reset.

Cheeryguy
    Participant

777 and 380 have a door locking mechanism that engages when the aircraft reaches 60 knots.

CXDiamond
    Participant

Just to say I had a very positive experience of mixed fleet on Monday returning to LHR from ORY. The purser covering the three rows of business class provided personal service including taking orders for breakfast and carrying each tray from the galley instead of getting out a trolley.

Given the duration of the flight that was no mean feat but he accomplished the service with style and a pleasant smile and even disappeared behind the curtain for a short while to help clear up.

The fact that he managed that including dealing with the hot breakfast just goes to demonstrate what can be achieved when the will is there and yet for the rest of the day BA tell us there is insufficient time to serve hot food on any flight of less than two hours duration. Clearly a lie.

TCSH11
    Participant

I agree.. this statement is extremely insulting.

TCSH11
    Participant

NOR ARE YOU

TCSH11
    Participant

well maybe if you had not started a racist thread, we would not need to carry along with it..
    Seems to me that you are a very arranging and racist person, and also, the more it is proved, the more rude and arrogant you get… getting defensive.

Maybe you should think that if a passenger ( prob like you ) is rude and arrogant, you are not get happiest back in response

TCSH11
    Participant

Well said…..

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls