Manchester Airport to charge for trolleys..

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)

• RichHI1
    Participant

If you let a marketeer fill out your tax return you will regret it, if you let an accountant meet customer needs …

dutchyankee
    Participant

I hate airports that do this. I travel to MCO every 6 to 8 weeks, and when I travel with luggage it is fine upon arrival in the International area where the trolleys are free, but once you have cleared customs, you need to send your luggage again to the domestic baggage claim area, and there you need 4 dollars (non refundable) to get a trolley. MCO takes the cake for the height of absurdity, and for a city that lives on tourists and increasingly on foreign tourists, this practice is simply ridiculous. Why a civilized airport like Manchester would now follow suit is beyond me!

David61
    Participant

Manchester hasn’t been civilized for a good number of years

MartynSinclair
    Participant

There is of course another solution to this problem.

Travel with larger cases that once off the baggage courasel you can load with your hand baggage.

Plan your baggage so you can transport everything. My wheelie and flight bag can go together allowing me one spare hand to lug a larger case if necerssary.

If not just remember to keep a coin handy.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Charges for luggage trolleys are annoying and impossible if you don’t have the necessary coins. They do not create a good first impression when you arrive.

I’ve long used bags that fit together so if I have a large case I can clip my laptop bag to it and I still have a free hand, it saves the need for a trolley. I’m always surprised more people who travel frequently don’t do the same thing.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Hah! – Martyn, if only that were all it took. Even on business trips I try to take the opportunity to pick up bargains, or things I can’t get at home. On my last trip to London I came back with roofbars and a roofbox for my car (not available here), a Nescafe Dolce Gusto machine (much cheaper in the UK) with seven boxes of the little pod things to use in it (ditto), and assorted other purchases, together with a load of presents from my UK family to my HK family. Took two trolleys and even then was a struggle.

On my last US trip I came back with two Kindles, and a Bladefish (such a cool toy – http://www.bladefish.net/content/bladefish-5000) and a spare part for my car.

This summer I am planning on bringing back some (lightweight, but bulky) garden furniture for my balcony…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi Ian

I have plenty of spare luggage allowance on my next trip, which should be starting LHR-HKG, as long as it does not exceed hold luggage size. Not sure when as it depends on my mothers situation. Should be within the next 4 – 6 weeks.

Will stay at the Sheraton so can leave it in storage there. If you would are travelling.

If its any help, please email me to my hotmail account.

Martyn

VintageKrug
    Participant

I just don’t see the problem with this move.

Trolleys are hugely expensive to purchase, maintain and ferry round so they are where they’re needed.

Surely every business traveller has wheelie luggage by now?

IanFromHKG
    Participant

That’s very kind Martyn! I will check with the memsahib and be in touch if we want to take you up on that!

Happy Easter all

VintageKrug
    Participant

I hear the Bangkok Hilton has very cost effective left luggage, too.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

Isn’t charging for trolleys just another step along the way in the unbundling of travel. The low costs squeeze airport operators and they then look for ways to recover the money including a couple of places where I understand you now have to pay a separate airport fee.

Unfortunately those of us who travel with full service carriers also get caught up in this nonsense and stung along side the low cost passengers who of course if they added it all up are probably paying the same as a full service discounted economy fare.

Where will it all end? Will we soon have to pay to go through security with an extra charge if they decide to hand search our bags?

RichHI1
    Participant

Poster not to be named, for me the major issue would not be the charge though one has to ask what services an airport should provide? BHX charge dor drop off, MAN charge for carts, is making a second charge for security on top Of what airlines pay yhe next move? Market forces cannot operate where there is no competition.
    The major issue for me is that foreigners may not have coins and from experience with the new credit card restrictions for fraud, credit cards do not always work in these machines overseas. When foreign currency is normally notes only and the manority of machines will give no change for notes. If younwant to nickel and dime people the US approach of excluding international arrivals at least helps foreign visitors in this respect.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Completely agree with you RichHI1.

VintageKrug
    Participant

From another perspective, why should I, as a regular traveller who carries a rollaboard and laptop case on most journeys pay an airport facility charge to susidise those who haven’t the foresight or wherewithal to purchase rolling luggage?

It’s not like rolling luggage is new (though might be something of a revelation to some Mancunians..) and I can’t recall the last time I actually picked up a non-wheelie case.

The simple solution is to travel with sensible amounts of luggage with integral wheels. Not hard.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Its one big viscious circle.

Years ago, you would go to an airport, check in, go through security, wait in the boarding area, get on your aeroplane and go.

Now, you visit shopping malls, restaurents, massage parlours, hotels options- oh and of course you eventually struggle onto the aircraft with a weeks shopping and wonder why you need a trolley at the other end.

Perhaps if airports were to overhaul their functionality then costs may be reduced. I wonder if the situation will ever arise when an airport does become a primary point of call for the weeks shop or the family outing, creating an even larger problem. A ticketing system or a congestion charge fee may need to be made to get through the airport perimeter!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls