Manchester Airport to charge for trolleys..

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)

• LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Becky: you take life a little too seriously!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Sort of agree with £1 charge, but not really in favour since foreigners coming to Britain most likely will not have change and this just inconveniences them.

But charge should be refundable, if not people will just leave the trolley everywhere and anywhere like they do now.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The trolleys at Heathrow are well passed their sell by date. If its not the users who pay for the replacements who else will.

Perhaps BAA could charge passengers a bag supplement………….each bag bought into the terminal is charged £1.00 but you do get a shiny new trolley to borrow.

FrDougal
    Participant

They tried this a number of years back in Dublin Airport and despite lasting a fair few years it was still a spectacular failure and resulted in a lot of negative feedback (and despite the €1 being refundable on returning the trolley to the correct location) for the airport which was already suffering a very public image problem. Fortunately it was not something that lasted nor has shown its ugly head again post recession and T2!

SimonRowberry
    Participant

They do it at BHX too. A couple of quid I think (I use my valet instead, of course ;-)).

I know it’s racked a few people off, as has the short stay car parking extortion they also implement.

I still work closely with BHX professionally (well I will until they read this!) and their argument is the “need to separate BHX as an airport from BHX as a business.”

I’m not sure I agree as I don’t think they are divisible. Views?

Simon

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks for your kind comments and support in another thread Simon.

Your point here is a good one, and worthy I think of a separate thread/discussion. Over to you, it was your idea;-)

I think and airport is a business. It needs to earn money to pay for and provide the facilities for both passengers and airlines. It’s how it does this that is crucial.

They provide a public service and if the public see themselves as being ripped off they will find alternatives and the airport will get a bad name. LHR being a good example.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

and continuing the theme, their will always be the argument by passengers that people should pay for what they use!

Perhaps a new thread should be started headed:

Acceptable Income Generating Ideas for running an airport!

RPK-Cheshire
    Participant

>BeckBoop; they already have a system to encourage people to return the trolleys to a “station”; you put a £ 1 in and get it back, the same as many supermarkets do. The new system charges you for their use; so you do not get the money back, so presumably there is less motivation to return the trolleys.

RichHI1
    Participant

Binman, remember that carts in US are free for international arrivals as foreigners may not have chnage (though they often take cards).

I think it is shabby and predictable to charge ofr carts but to be expected in this morallly and fiscally bankrupt age.

There is an opportunity here to design a lightweight folding trolley. BA and others now allow 3 bags long haul so check your two bags and your foldable cart then unfold cart and use it.. 🙂 Or on short haul check 1 bag and cart. After all they check baby buggies and wheelchairs so cannot be that hard. There are wheeled bags that allow piggy backing but a proper trolley allows carry on to be added as well. Maybe a portacart could be built into a bag allowing wheels etc to be store inside to avoid bag damage.

MikeDavies
    Participant

I think it does exactly the opposite. If you are not going to get your money back – why return the trolley?

David61
    Participant

One rip off after another at this godforsaken place-goes with the likes of the plastic bags to go through outbound security and horrendous car park charges just for the pleasure of meeting or seeing off someone.Not forgetting the security as well.

allanguy
    Participant

They will be able to reduce other charges like pick up car parking. I don’t think so. They all hide with phrases like “Why should everyone subsidise the cost off trolleys when only 5% of travellers use them” . 5% of how many million passengers is a lot of cash. Will those who don’t use trolleys see any benifit? I wouldn’t hold your breath.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Maybe its a way of keeping airport tax/surcharges low. So instead of them raising the rate for everyone only the ones that need the trolleys pays? xx

RichHI1
    Participant

Could it be Becky that they are not interested in passengers other than as a source of revenue in their shops. Isuspect any revenue derived will be put in the profit jar not passed on to passengers as reductions. Whether it gets back to shareholders or is absorbed in bonuses who knows.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

TBF they are a business not a charity .. soz but its true!! Harrods sell some stuff i can get in other shops cheaper but i dont complain i just dont shop there xx

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls