Maiden in Manhattan: Tips for the First Time Visitor

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)

• KSHaggag
    Participant

Hi BusinessClass !

Not at all…..you are perfectly right !..thanks for your constructive feedback afterall !..

Cheers !

BsimiNYC
    Participant

@ LuganoPirate Thank you for the kind mention of The Chatwal Hotel..We also have The Lambs Club Bar and Restaurant. Your kind recommendation is appreciated!
    Safe travels to all!

PatJordan
    Participant

P.Sepsas

thanks for the kind words.

Pat

Potakas
    Participant

BusinessClass,

I’ll stay to the 57*, walking distance between 57 and Marriott East Side is 8 minutes according to to Google maps so it is probably the same neighborhood.

I like how the guest rooms and the hotel’s exterior look like. Also if i am lucky enough I could get an upgrade to a guest room with a terrace** (due to status).

Thanks to all of you and especially VK for this topic. I’ll make sure to write an extensive trip report with some photos.

http://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/travel/nycbr-renaissance-new-york-hotel-57/

http://cache.marriott.com/propertyimages/n/nycbr/phototour/nycbr_phototour49.jpg?Log=1

Potakas
    Participant

Solved,

May I ask which way (car service , taxi, train-subway) is more convenient to go from JFK to Manhattan?
    Also if someone is aware should add and from Newark as this is a guide for Manhattan.

Regards

BlackTower
    Participant

Balthazar in SoHo is the kind of authentic Brasserie you dont get in Paris. No Seriously.

Agree on Oysterbar being great but please no Pacific Oysters.

Don’t let the bedbugs bite……

DavidRenton
    Participant

VK – good call on the Andaz. I stopped in the Wall Street one the week after it opened and it was superb. My other haunts are the CP Times Square, and my new favourite is the Intercontinental Times Square.

Taxis from JFK to Manhattan are a fixed $45 + tolls + gratuity. If you are comfortable taking the train/metro – it’s quicker and about $5 if I remember correctly. The alternative is to pre-arrange a driver for $100 – $150 – there are plenty of companies who provide this service. Avoid a shared shuttle service, it may only be $20, however last time it took 3 hours to get from EWR to the Andaz, and I was not the last passenger off the bus.

If you love your shopping, grab a bus to Woodbury Premium Outlets (1 hour away), Fifth Avenue is a must, with plenty of choice from Apple to Tiffany, with A+F in between, just don’t forget your credit card.

Someone had mentioned the bar at the top of the Marriott – there’s a restaurant on the floor above – reservations required.

A Broadway show is a must. I would rather pay the full price than spend hours queueing at tkts for a discount and miss out on shopping/sightseeing.

I did the Statue of Liberty and paid for Crown access – I walked up a load of stairs, looked out a tiny window, and walked back down – waste of money and the additional security and leaving bags in a locker was a pain in the rear. If you are planning a visit here, leave plenty of time for the security clearance at Battery Park, then the boat, then further security on the island.

If you are planning a trip up the ESB – book your tickets on the web to save standing in 1 queue. I don’t think it’s worth the extra $30 per person to fast track security.

Wherever you go, remember the dreaded 20% tip expectancy, even where a service charge is levied by the establishment. It’s not the first time I’ve been chased out a restaurant for daring to leave less than 20%.

Kaicat75
    Participant

If you are ever in NYC on a Sunday and want the ultimate brunch then you cannot go wrong with the Waldorf Astoria. It is simply amazing.

http://www.waldorfnewyork.com/dine-in-style/sunday-brunch.cfm

You usually need to make a reservation in advance but its a great experience.

If you fancy the more down to earth american diner experience then the Washington Square Diner is worth checking out.

http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/washington-square-diner/

robsmith100
    Participant

Also try and try and get tickets for the New York Knicks (Basketball) or better still the Harlem Globetrotters as it much more fun. Tickets are not cheap by all means, but the experience alone is well worth it.

Alternatively you could try Baseball, if you do try for NY Mets tickets as they will be more available and cheaper than Yankee’s.

DavidRenton – Well done for reminding folk on tipping! However does tipping still expected if they include service charge? In the UK i sometimes ask the resturant to remove the charge if i feel the service has not been accpetable and have never had a problem with this being done, can this process be done/acceptable in the US/NYC?

Potakas
    Participant

Rob,
    I am already there… New York Knicks vs. Milwaukee Bucks, Madison Square Garden New York, NY Fri, Mar 25 2011 7:30 PM

:D:D

canucklad
    Participant

Basketball is good—-

try and get to a Rangers game—Hockey is where it’s at for atmosphere

And take a Yellow Cab to the game…..make an odd comment to driver–sit back and enjoy the entertaining ride

CHRISMAPP
    Participant

anybody recommend restaurants in the evening for a 30th bash all the men will be in tuxedos so don’t want to look out of place, don’t want a place thats a fortune either

DavidRenton
    Participant

I have a helicopter trip booked for my next visit with HeliNYC. The 15 minute ride is less than £100 – it’s something different!

What is everyone’s opinion on ESB vs Rockerfeller – I’ve done both and think the view is better from ESB.

I’m flying BA this time, after a long break from them – I’m keeping a close eye on the strike situation – VK, do you know what percentage of long hauls from LHR operated during the last one?

Potakas
    Participant

Hockey…… I didn’t even think about it…. I’ve seen many times Basketball (Never NBA), I should have bought for the Hockey… Next time.

Has any of you gone to The Meatpacking District? Some NYC guides suggest to go there for a drink, is it nice? (I am 27 years old)

PS On the last strike action from LHR, BA operated 70% so there is not any problem. The latest estimations from BA for a future strike says 100%
    But we should not continue the conversation about BA’s strikes here.

—————EDIT—————

I checked the HELINY and they have fuel surcharge LOL

Swindoneric
    Participant

We were in the Gramercy Tavern at the weekend. Not cheap but wonderful. We went to Top of the Rock this time and loved it. Also the Hopper exhibition at the Whitney is well worth a stop.
    In a moment of insanity I blew a load of Skyteam points on a (supposedly) business class return with Delta through Amsterdam. Never,ever again although I suspect that is for a different thread.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls