Maiden in Manhattan: Tips for the First Time Visitor

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)

• blondcat
    Participant

Putting a female slant on it – the shopping really cannot be overlooked!

Send her up 5th to Abercrombie – the smell is amazing and a free polaroid with the obligatory male model in the shop doorway never goes a miss.

If she has a bit more cash to spend – the designer shoe floor in Saks is just heaven, plus Tiffany’s is on 5th.

I’m going in a week for work – doesn’t matter how many times I go it’s so exciting looking fwd to it! I hope she is a great time 🙂

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Blondcat, mrs. LP agrees with you completely!

On where to stay, I have just discovered the Chatwal Hotel on 130, W44th. It looks great and they have some interesting winter offers right now.

Also, don’t forget a visit to the iconic Apple Store for some amazing accessories that I have not seen in Europe.

Potakas
    Participant

Nice thread VK, thanks very much, this one is going to help me as i will be there for the first time next month.

I would appreciate some suggestions, i want to stay on a Marriott property (as only there i have status) and i was thinking the Renaissance New York Hotel 57, it looks nice, i read some good reviews and i found a good LNF rate for about 170$ per night. Is this property nice placed? I have never been to Manhattan before so i have no idea what are the distances like ( I have as a guide google maps).

I would appreciate if someone can give me any other Marriott’s properties recommendation, not necessarily about how good the property is but about the place i should be in Manhattan.

My budget is maximum 200$ per night so no ”The Ritz-Carlton Central Park” ;(

I want to visit the financial district and World Trade center (But should i stay there?)

Regards

VintageKrug
    Participant

Don’t forget your Marriott points can be used for free stays at the R-C!

Potakas
    Participant

I was thinking that I will never use them … so, I had as an option to earn BA miles…. The good think is that on the return i have UD for first time 😀 ( because of your suggestions mainly!! So thanks!!)

KSHaggag
    Participant

Hello P.Sepsas !

It gives me GREAT pleasure to say something here ,not only as a sales Manager working for the Marriott Global Sales Organization ,but also as a New York lover ….!!…
    Well,my Lady …..I would strongly recommend ,as a first time visitor to the Big Apple to be well and nicely located ,even if your hotel is not the best in the world ,but come on ,you will always be in good hands with Marriott !!!…this is NOT a sales call..but let me recommend the Marriott East Side hotel ,conveniently located in the heart of Manhattan and close to almost everything you need to see …Times Square is just a 15 min stroll …..walking down 5th Avenue is an experience like no other …the Renaissance 57th is also not far from the Marriott east Side ……If I want to indulge ,I stay at the Ritz Carlton Battery Park ..to see the Financial district ,Wall Street ,etc ..you don t really need to stay on Battery Park ( Ritz Carlton ) ,but if you wanna enjoy a panorama of the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island ,there is NOTHING like a room at the Ritz Carlton Battery park with a Hudson River view ….!….however ,midtown Manhattan is rather far from there ..can jump in a cab …not expensive ,though!….NY is a very personal experience ..I do endorse the recommendations of all Gentlemen on the forum ,but you need to leave something unveiled always for a next visit ……..!!!!!!!!….You will wish the clock stops when you are there coz there is always something to do EVERY single second …
    Oupss..Times Square is the heart of it all ,we have the Marriott Marquis and the Renaissance Times Square but I personally like to be a bit far from it ( 10-15 min walk ) in order to be enticed to walk and explore ………I hope I did not confuse you ..in short …Rockefeller Center ,Times Square ,5th,6th Avenues,Central Park ,Battery Park are a must on your first visit ….You will however need a rest after your visit to recap and recharge ….
    If you have enough points to redeem with Marriott Rewards ,you can go for the Ritz carlton Battery Park but not on your first visit ….concentrate on midtown Manhattan first ,but do take the cruise to Ellis Island …enjoy NY!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Splendid info, but could we possibly have some paragraphs…?

KSHaggag
    Participant

Hi VK !

Sorry ..I always like to write paragraphs to make it easier to surf but I was in such a hurry ….!….how else can I help you ???

PatJordan
    Participant

Hi KSHaggag, delighted to see somebody identifying themselves as representing an organisation. Incidentally, I had a very enjoyable stay at a Marriott hotel outside London last week.

The Marriott service ethos is excellent, as is your loyalty programme.

Next time I’m in New York, I’ll certainly be staying with Marriott!

StephenLondon
    Participant

There are always a few things that I love doing when in New York, mostly involving food and drink:

-The Campbell Apartments (Vanderbilt Ave at 43rd Street) – located within Grand Central Station, the bar is fun and different

-At the Parker Meridien Hotel, a really good burger (even veggie) and a martini

-A drink at the St Regis, King Cole Bar with the wonderful Maxfield Parrish mural

-Lunch at Artisanal, 2 Park Avenue (at 32nd) – perfect winter warming fondue or more at this great bistro / wine bar.

-Trattoria dell’Arte (900 7th Avenue) – fantastic array of anti-pasto, thin crust pizza and a superb wine list. Yum.

-Post theatre bottle of red and cheese plate at Picholine, 35 W 64th Street (just off Central Park West). Amazing in all respect – impeccable service;

-Breakfast out at just about any diner in New York. The cast of characters, the hubbub of fast paced New York just can’t be beat;

-Perry Street Restaurant, way downtown (176 Perry Street) – casual but elegan eating in a superb space by the Hudson, in a Richard Meier building. Some excellent lunchtime deals are frequently on offer;

-I just love wandering around SoHo, Greenwich Village and up into Chelsea. You can walk for miles and never be bored.

Hope these few suggestions are of use…

KSHaggag
    Participant

Hi Pjordan !

Thanks for your tactful note !..my great pleasure to be of help to anyone seeking advice here on this forum ….Will endeavour to do it to the best of my knowledge …I will be more than thrilled to be of help to you …my email address is <a href="mailto:[email protected]“>[email protected] should you have an enquiry eventually ….
    Cheers !

BusinessClass
    Participant

P.Sepas…………I have stayed in the Marriott East Side which is on Lexington St and a great location. Not the best Marriott (but by no means the worst) although my room was fine and quite big and clean. They could do a lot with the lobby and bar area – it’s been few years since I was there but if they refurbished these areas then I would think about staying there again.
    Like you I do like the look of the Renaissance New York Hotel 57, it is a fairly new hotel and would be my choice as it is also in a great location!

KSHaggag
    Participant

Hi Business class!

Thank you for your note …Yes ,I do endorse your approach ,however the Renaissance 57 is a slightly longer stroll to Times Square compared to the East Side !…I don t claim having seen it from inside ,but surely it is a newer and fresher property than the traditional East Side …thank you !

Potakas
    Participant

Sorry i didn’t answer earlier but i was trying to find out some more info, in order not to ask other things and go off topic.

Karim,

excellent advices thank you very much, ( I will probably email you for some more recommendations), I agree about your recommendation not to spend my first time staying Downtown, also a friend of mine told me that i should go Midtown because the city lives there.

I don’t want to stay at Marquis (I have found it for 160$ which is excellent price) , it is too crowed and touristic as you already mentioned, also I’ll be alone at Manhattan and I want to walk and try to discover the city.

BusinessClass, you are right the Marriott East side had a $24 million guest room renovation, So must be OK now.

I have two reservations currently with Marriott (full refundable).

The first one at Renaissance 57 (139$/night) and the second one at the Marriott East Side (146$/night). (I know I am good on LNF rates :D)
    So there is not any budget problem.

I am more tempted to stay at the 57 as I like its character, It seems to me more New York than the East side property (apart the exterior which is fantastic).

PS Just a comment about Karim who told us his occupation..

PJordan,

When you are right , aware of what are you saying and you don’t have other intentions, you are a honor for your employer and you don’t afraid to hide anything.

Again thanks Karim, you and many of your colleagues are the reason that many people keep their loyalty with Marriott. It is not always the property, it is mainly the people that you are saying ”good morning” with.

Regards

BusinessClass
    Participant

P.SEPSAS………..If you stay at the 57 do let us know what you think, as I am thinking of staying there when I visit NY next.
    Re the Marriott EAST SIDE – yes, the rooms have been refurbished but the lobby and bar have not………….I just feel that if they rennovated the bar in particular it could be a very nice place for a drink or two. At the moment it just doesn’t do anything for me – maybe I am just fussy!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls