Maiden in Manhattan: Tips for the First Time Visitor

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)

• PatJordan
    Participant

David, ESB -V-Rockefeller..

It is far less crowded at the Rock, and the uptown views are better. The glass ceilinged lifts with flashing lights in the shafts are as much a thrill as the views.

That said, the ESB is an icon of Manhattan, and it would be a shame to miss a visit.

My preference is the top of the Rock.

Hope this is of some help, David.

Pat

Don_Draper
    Participant

ESB is, indeed, iconic but I didn’t find it a very pleasant experience in view of the crowds. In my opinion Top of the Rock affords much better views and it is great to get a picture of yourself with ESB in the background!

Walking Brooklyn Bridge at night from Brooklyn is something I do everytime I am in New York. I never tire of the magnificent view. Whilst in Brooklyn a couple of drinks at the Henry Street Ale House is good!

If the weather is ok and there is enough time, a ride on the Hudson Line from Grand Central is excellent. I have been to Beacon a couple of times and also Cold Spring. Whilst NYC is fantastic it is nice to get away from the hustle and bustle for a few hours.

As regards transfering from JFK, I take the Air Train to Jamaica and Long Island Railroad into Penn Station. It is very easy, quicker and a lot cheaper than a cab.

I am, as usual, flying BA to NYC on 31st March and 11th May. Alas only five days on each trip but some excellent ideas from the postings above for things I haven’t done before. Thanks!

Potakas
    Participant

Is it safe to walk the bridge when is night?

Don_Draper
    Participant

It is usually quite busy as other people enjoy doing the same but I am never later than 11.00. The best way to do it is to take the A to High St or the F to York St and it is only a short walk to the start of the bridge. A wander round Brooklyn Heights beforehand is, however, interesting in view of the contrast with Manhattan. Some nice eating places on Henry St.

Potakas
    Participant

Thank you!

BTW, nice New Yorker Nickname.

PatJordan
    Participant

Hi all,

in this thread KSHaggag purports to be a sales manager working for Marriott Global sales organisation.

I took the opportunity to engage with him in email correspondence.

Haviing had no replies for some time, I became concerned and asked a senior manager at a Marriott hotel in Ireland if he was aware of Mr. Haggag in the orgasnisation?

His reply was that Mr Haggag had left the organisation some time ago. This makes me wonder who the KSHaggag (with whom some of us corresponded, both privately and on the forum) really is???

If I am barking up the wrong tree, then I sincerely apologise. However, I would tend to believe the word of a senior Marriott manager.

Perhaps other posters could clarify this.

Safe travels,

Pat

VintageKrug
    Participant

Seems to have been employed by Marriott in the past, now works for Qatar Airways. I don’t think there’s any great attempt at deception, other than perhaps the timing of the actual employment.

As ever, best not entrust any sort of personal information to anyone you meet on the internet….caveat emptor!

KSHaggag
    Participant

Dear Mr Jordan ,

You definitely are barking up the wrong tree ….!!!…..I am still working for the organization !…..This senior manager at a Marriott hotel in Ireland has never heard about me ever since I am based in a different region ,so I wonder how on earth he could have given such a statement !…
    Thank you

KSHaggag
    Participant

Dear VintageKrug ,

The information you are stipulating on the forum is not accurate …..I have been working for the Marriott Organization since 2007 and I still am …..I used to work for Qatar Airways from 2004 to 2006 ….I do advise you to make sure of the information you spread without making sure of it …..thank you

Deleted User
    Participant

Although I have never met Mr Haggag, I do converse with him both via text, email and have even spoken to him. He appears a very nice and helpful chap, like most of the recognised contributors to this forum.

He has helped me out a number of times in the past with hotel bookings and when I have entered a hotel where he is known, I do get the royal treatment.

Many thanks Karim.

VintageKrug
    Participant

There is some confusion as there is someone with your exact same name based in Egypt who did work for Marriott in a sales capacity, and left in 2009.

That will be the person to whom the person PJordan spoke to (and also my research) is referring. It’s quite a co-incidence, and I don’t doubt you are indeed the “currently employed” Marriott person, but it’s quite easy to see how the confusion can arise. Apologies if it’s inaccurate.

Either way, my point about restricting any information you choose to share still stands.

KSHaggag
    Participant

Thank you Burchhardt !..

Mr Jordan !

I do recall having replied to you on email ,notably on 14.3.2011 explaining that I have been on a business trip in the Far East and hence the delay in getting back to you in your query …..In all cases ,I explained that I had to refer your case to my colleagues taking care of the Europe region ,because I simply am based in the Middle East …moreover ,we are a HUGE organization with tens of thousands of associates ..also ,the hotels ( properties )staff cannot know every single person in the organization ,worldwide …we are managing 3600 hotels ..on top of this ,you have the Global Sales Organization ,where I do belong ..this is a different discipline from the properties ( hotels ) …I hope this clarifies the matter .

Deleted User
    Participant

Mr Haggag (or Karim)

You are welcome

Mr Burchhardt!! (or Charles)

PatJordan
    Participant

Karim,

obviously I am barking up the wrong tree! I will forward you the email I mentioned.

Apologies for the totally unintended slight on your good name.

Pat

Potakas
    Participant

Just arrived at jfk, thanks to this topic I’ll get the most from NYC.

😀

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls