London Hotel Prices….Insane?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

• JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hi Martyn – hope you are well.

Ages since I posted on here but have been very busy.

The question I have is are there really enough people out there who are prepared to pay £2000-£3000 per night for a hotel in London, are those hotels really that good?

Even if I were super wealthy, not sure I could justify paying that much for a night in a hotel!

2 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Hi Jonathan,

Good to hear form you – and you are right.

It gets to the stage where even if you live a couple of hours from London, it’s preferably to book a car to take you home – you can always nod off in the back!

Tom

Nick Pike
    Participant

I looked for a hotel for tonight-everywhere was astronomical. None more so than the Courtyard by Marriott at London City which was £9799 for a twin room…(yes, i do mean just under £10k…

1 user thanked author for this post.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

[postquote quote=1219237]

I trust that included breakfast?

Nick Pike
    Participant

I trust that included breakfast?[/I]

Don’t be daft….

3 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

I found it improbable that the costs be quoted here represent other than the highest prices being quoted thus I had a quick look at ‘Late Rooms’ web site.
    A very different picture!
    Novatel Canary Wharf = HKD 2,020 Marriott Canary Wharf =HKD 2,431 The Londoner = HKD 7,649.00 Mayfair House = HKD 5,400 and on….. and in some cases cheaper than a Hong Kong 5 star. These prices for tomorrow night

Note these are HKD – divide by 10 to GBP
    Not the top 20 hotels but all very decent decent…..and not the cheapest being quoted

Crawford
    Participant

I oversee spend for our London city based insurance business

It’s not just the high end hotels. Travelodge Acton was pushing £350 a night this week

Finding 2 nights at Premier-inn / Travellodge this week under £1,000 for the 2 nights was nigh on impossible

JD_84
    Participant

If your work has corporate rates and you pay at the hotel directly, then try that. I booked a room at Clayton Chiswick at @ £179 pn this week when it was going for over £400 directly.

Obviously might want to check your travel booking policy first!

DavidSmith2
    Participant

We live overseas and visit London on average 3 or 4 times a year, usually for 5-7 days. A few years ago I discovered the Royal Overseas League which has its premises just off Piccadilly. A double room there (for members) is around 180 GBP. They are not 4 star size or standard but they are perfectly serviceable for short stays and you get a very nice tea tray with china cups and shortbread biscuits. I would say decent 3 star rooms but definitely a 5 star location. Onsite bar, brasserie and restaurant too.

For those living overseas the annual membership is around 275 GBP I think. It’s more expensive for UK residents and more still if you live in or close to London.

If anyone is interested please let me know and I will be happy to give more details. You can of course google them and check their website.

Guesswho100
    Participant

It is not just the summer months. We live 1 hr 15 mins (by train) from London and usually spend at least one weekend / month in London. I have checked prices as far ahead as October, and they remain astronomical even that far ahead. We usually stay in Hilton hotels (Diamond status), in particular the Hilton Tower Bridge (ease of access, location) which is a good hotel but nothing special – in October, a King double is £400.00 / night, certainly not worth that much. The net result of this is that we go elsewhere which means not only are the hotels losing-out, restaurants and bars are too. What a shame.

cwoodward
    Participant

Sites like ‘Late Rooms’ (there are others) are perhaps the best bet at the moment.

There will always be rooms available in London and you will pay less as many hotels use these sites at the last moment to fill late cancelled or unsold rooms – but they go fast. Also I find something of an adventure in booking into a new and unknown hotel.

3 users thanked author for this post.

DannyBoy
    Participant

Preferred Partnership programs are an alternative way to get better value deals on premium hotel accommodation. Whilst you may not get a cheaper rate they usually get you free meals/breakfasts possibly a spa treatment and stuff. You will have to go via travel consultants to see what they have or could offer you. I used to use Collets Travel and speak to Roy Collett directly as he was recommended by a General Manager of a 5 star property I used to frequently visit.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1220842]I used to use Collets Travel and speak to Roy Collett directly as he was recommended by a General Manager of a 5 star property I used to frequently visit.[/quote]

Roy Collet may be a new recommendation on BT Forum, but I knew him when he was just starting out and used his N W London agency a few years back. A very knowledgeable agent.

4 users thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=1220878]

Martyn: I also used the local Collets (I am assuming you mean Hendon) for cruises before Covid and found them very efficient. However, I have not since Covid. Now that they have been taken over by an American firm, are they still as good?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1221483]Martyn: I also used the local Collets (I am assuming you mean Hendon) for cruises before Covid and found them very efficient. However, I have not since Covid. Now that they have been taken over by an American firm, are they still as good?[/quote]

Since I met Tim Fitzgerald on the BT Forum, never considered going anywhere else… (even though he supports the wrong Sheffield team 🙂 )- Used Collets at the time as he was in my circle in Brent Street.

I know we all have our pet firms for booking cruises, but I now use Jet Line a few miles away in Barnet.

https://www.jetlinecruise.com/

Always provide great prices…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls