London Hotel Prices….Insane?

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

• Swissdiver
    Participant

This is when you’re happy to be able to sleep at the Club in London! šŸ™‚

jsn55
    Participant

Aren’t there any Premier Inns in the area you wish to sleep? I stayed at one at LHR once, it was great. Far better than a super-budget hotel would be here in the US. I’ve been wailing about the cost of biz class air, but hadn’t bumped up against the hotel prices yet. We often stay at an airport hotel if there’s good public transit; mostly because they’re quiet. I would be disinclined to enjoy a stay that cost me $500+. I’m glad I have a nice stash of HHonors and IHG points to help the cause. I’ll get out there and get some hotels booked for our next trip. Appreciate all the info, we’re back in London next fall; it’s leisure so I can get the hotels booked 11+ months out and just follow the rates on my trusty spreadsheet.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Polly
    Participant

So thatā€™s why my Airbnb account upped the price of that weekend in July next year. Fri, sat, sun. Thereā€™s hardly a room available in the city. Needless to say l ignored itā€¦

But l I think the Sofitel plus tube or HEX is a great compromise.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am taking a friend away for a special birthday in July/August next year. Thought I would get ahead of the game and book now…

It’s not just London where hotels have gone crazy… My usual hotel in Milan, a year ahead, over E400 per night!!

Swissdiver
    Participant

[postquote quote=1230752]

I’ve seen this more than once lately: early bird prices are high, as hotels wait to see whether the demand will be solid or not at that period (the usual seasonal models being less reliable after Covid). When getting closer to the stay dates, prices adapt, either upward or downward. What I do now is booking in advance (flexible fares, always in my case), then review it from time to time, and rebook at a lower price when possible…

2 users thanked author for this post.

Montysaurus
    Participant

I do this regularly with hotel bookings. I also do flex bookings as over the years I realised that booking early does not get the best deal. Some of my hotel stays have been booked and cancelled several times as the prices fluctuate wildly. This is a bit of a pain. I donā€™t do this with BA because flex flights are so expensive and anyway they take the money immediately. I did a fare comparison for a fictitious short haul flight a year hence and logged the price every week. Fares for the same flight ranged from Ā£300 to Ā£130 apparently quite randomly with dramatic changes up and down from week to week until about 3 weeks before the flight. The actual cost was Ā£199 but showed as Ā£300 355 days in advance. Dynamic pricing is beyond my comprehension but was it not Colin Marshall of BA who reputedly said ā€œif people understand our pricing mechanism we are in troubleā€. [postquote quote=1230769]

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls