London Hotel Prices….Insane?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

• FormerBA
    Participant

I need to be in London on the 9th July and though it might be nice to stay over, until I saw the prices.

IC Park Lane – £773 This is a basic room and no breakfast
    Indigo Leicester Square – £506
    Indigo Paddington – £672
    Holiday Inn Regents Park – £427

These prices are insane in my humble opinion, and I cannot imagine even contemplating spending a sum of that magnitude in those particular hotels. The IC is nice but their basic rooms are never £773 nice! The Dorchester, Claridges and The Savoy are all full, therefore it is clear that many people are quite prepared to spend eyewatering sums on substandard accommodation such as the Holiday Inn.

2 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Just had a look on the Bonvoy website for London July 9th. Also noticed that it is finals weekend at Wimbledon..

My goodness, the highlight prices for me:

London Marriott Hotel Park Lane – £2,099 per night

The Park Tower Knightsbridge – £3,093 per night

However:

The Bexleyheath Marriott – £123 per night

and most Heathrow Hotels are under £200 per night plus the cost of ubers/tube into London..

Interested to hear your choice…

FormerBA
    Participant

I had missed the tennis thing! That explains a lot.

I am driving in and parking in Q park, Park Lane, then driving home. £45 for car park, no congestion charge. A walk to Harvey Nics for late lunch, cab to Covent Garden for some “wailing” as my wife calls the Opera, followed by a stroll back to Park lane via somewhere for a couple of high end cocktails/mocktails. It means one os us doesnt drink but £770 for night in the IC Park Lane is a bit too rich for a couple of cocktails!

Harbord1
    Participant

I know the MD of a London 5*. Apart from the usual June seasonal peak in demand linked to Wimbledon etc, a further contributing factor to these high prices is that a significant number of hotels are capping their room availability due to lack of staff. In effect they are focusing on fewer bigger spending guests as that is all they can accommodate whilst maintaining service standards. This results in their revenue management system pushing up prices and this then has a trickle down effect across all hotels.

7 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

There’s also Farnborough Airshow slightly later in the month, which always seems to have a similarly astonishing effect on London hotels, at least at the top end.

cwoodward
    Participant

I just had a glance through the Agoda offerings for a week for 2 from next Monday and found many excellent 5 star properties at HKD 5000-7000 a night with breakfast and several top Hotels at well under HKD 10,000 (less than GBP 1K)
    Special rates for Hong Kong or late availability perhaps ?

DannyBoy
    Participant

This is not uncommon as almost all 5 star hotels are middle eastern owned and July-August is generally regarded as the ‘Arabian summer’ in London.

An alternative option would be to try The Ned down Bank they have rooms for as little as £441. There is the Beaumont in Mayfair which is a real gem. The Conrad in St James for £574, The Langham for £720. The Nobu has rooms for £400 which is a real bargain but don’t think it will be your style.

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

It’s also in the middle of the BST run of concerts in Hyde Park (Pearl Jam are playing on Friday 8th and Saturday 9th – 50,000 attendees per night) so hotels in the Hyde Park / Park Lane area will be busy…

https://www.bst-hydepark.com/

6 users thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

And not just London. We usually stay at the Beau Rivage in Geneva, and paid between CHF 295 and 395 lake view and guaranteed room upgrade, including breakfast. When I went to book a few weeks ago for 2 nights this week, it was CHF 850 for a basic city view room, no breakfast and no upgrade. All the good hotels were that and much more.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

There are several other threads in Forum concerning the soaring prices of car rental and premium air travel.

GivingupBA
    Participant

FormerBA said, “….until I saw the prices.”

Absolutely right. I’ve been staying in London hotels at times for decades now, and I’m sure that [1] prices are higher, and [2] quality / value for money is lower, than for similar hotels in other European capitals (and Asia for that matter).

My solution has often been (I know this won’t suit many people) to stay in the best LHR hotels and get the Heathrow Express in. Much better value for money, and I don’t mind the train ride or time lost at all. (My favourite is the Sofitel at LHR Terminal 5. PS needless to say, I am not associated with the Sofitel in any way).

3 users thanked author for this post.

Finnstagram
    Participant

I found that the GHA Discovery app significantly undercut the prices for their hotels elsewhere.

Stayed at the Marylebone Hotel for £355 last Tuesday when quoted £600+ elsewhere. Still more than it should be for the quality but best I could do in central London.

Showing £320 for 9th July and £378 for the Pan Pacific.

Using Amex programmes often get you better deals too as they have pre-negotiated prices for some hotels that don’t fluctuate.

3 users thanked author for this post.

PatJordan
    Participant

Martyn,

Mrs J & I have stayed at the Bexleyheath Marriott several times, and found it very pleasant. Having family members close by, it’s location suits us perfectly.

It’s not too far from LCY either.

The General Manager is one who meets and listens to guests: that alone is a very worthy positive.

Safe travels all,

Pat

4 users thanked author for this post.

Mike_VIP
    Participant

[postquote quote=1218507]

If price is really an issue, have you considered some hostels in the city center?

streamingplatform
    Participant

London hotel prices are quite high – especially compared to other cities in the UK. In fact, London is often ranked as one of the most expensive cities in the world for accommodation.

So why are London hotel prices so high? There are a number of factors that contribute to this, including high demand, limited supply, and high costs of living in the city. However, there are also some ways to save on accommodation in London, such as by booking in advance or staying in a less central location.

If you’re planning a trip to London, be prepared to spend a bit more on accommodation than you would in other cities. But with some careful planning, you can find a place to stay that fits your budget.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls