London Heathrow Airport third runway U-turn ahead

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 604 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

Also, retuning to LHR …are we totally sure HS2 will even come within 5 miles of the airport!

Bucksnet
    Participant

Marcus, HS2 will not run into LHR. A journey from Manchester might be faster than by air when everything is taken into account, but not from anywhere north of that.

If domestic flights are cut from LHR, then even more traffic will go to the other hubs you mention.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

I believe a spur to Heathrow is intended to be added at a later stage (if not why not?) on HS2. Anyone south of NCL would benefit, especially once HS2 is extended northwards. Also journey times in UK by train could easily be slashed if they didn’t make trains wait 5/10 minutes at every station as recovery time (very prevalent on cross country services that do Edinburgh to Derby!). Once train services go to LHR then there can be through ticketing as there is on SNCF services and Air France at CDG.

The problem as many people point in the endless committees and enquiries we have in this country that are killing us. We need politicians to start making long term decisions and quickly (i.e. in a few months – not 10-15 years). If they can’t accept this responsibility they shouldn’t be politicians. Forgive me for being naive but I thought that was why we elected people – to make these tough decisions that won’t always be universally popular.

As I said earlier I’m in favour of expanding LHR (if there is a will there is a way) but the main thing is something is done and done soon.

canucklad
    Participant

When our lot are debating parlmentary reform , maybe they should consider giving us the opportunity to recruit proven leaders who make decisive decisions easy……

who knows……Wen Jiabao as CEO of UK PLC

VintageKrug
    Participant

The Thames Hub is viable for those living outside Kent and Essex if we build the “Hub” on which it depends; it could make getting from West London to the new airport faster than the 40 mins or so it takes currently by car to Heathrow.

We seem to forget that Heathrow was only created in the 1950s, and is relatively young, and that places like London City used to be a complete hassle to get to, yet now the tube/DLR connection is there, it’s very easy.

Thames Hub (or similar) is the only strategic opportunity we have.

Bucksnet
    Participant

If it’s so good then I’m sure that lenders will be lining up to loan the money to build it, with zero from the taxpayer.

If it’s so good then let it compete freely in the market, and not force airlines to move there by closing LHR.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Any new airport building/construction projects in the world with a steel production company on its doorstep…Yes …..UK 1 International…what a bonus….give them the contract and get building…how easy can it get?

Latest news:
    Thamesteel Limited sold out of administration-Saved

Jun 8 2012

The joint administrators of Thamesteel Limited are pleased to announce that the company has been sold out of administration to a new company owned by the Al-Tuwairqi Group (ATG).

The sale will mean that steel production on the site at Sheerness on the Isle of Sheppey in Kent can recommence with, hopefully, the recreation of a large number of the jobs lost when the company entered administration on 25 January this year.

Joint administrator Rod Weston, of accountancy firm Mazars comments:

“This sale is very good news for Sheerness. It concludes what has been a long and painful process for all involved.

At many points we feared the eventual outcome might be very bleak for the future of steel production on the Island. However, after several false dawns, we have secured a sale to the only bidder to come forward with the intention of restarting production at the plant.

Recon the Saudis know something that we dont…..Yalla Yalla…

transtraxman
    Participant

It is so terribly frustrating to read some of the opinions written here. This is especially true when you have one poster – VK – pushing his agenda so much: four times in 12 hours. (Are you Lord Foster?? with such vested interests??)

It was not my original intention to mention my own website, however, since there is such blatant propaganda/misinformation I feel I have to answer with my own analysis of the question of a third runway at Heathrow.

http://trans-trax.blogspot.com.es/2012/02/heathrows-3rd-runway-how-to-focus.html

My thoughts and subsequent writings do not stop here but let the readers decide.

SimonS1
    Participant

I would have thought Boris Island will take at least 12 years before it’s operational. Alas there are no quick wins here.

VintageKrug
    Participant

HKG took six years to build and involved the construction of an artificial island.

Indeed the funding for the airport is easily obtainable from the sovereign wealth funds; the sticking point is the surrounding “Hub” infrastructure which may require some state funding., though there’s not really any reason why the roads couldn’t have tolls and the train fares be market driven…

I do think it would take around a decade to get Thames Hub operational, but that’s no excuse for not starting soonest; the longer it is left the longer it will take to sort the problem out.

Remember Heathrow was but a grass airfield in 1946:

http://www.heathrow-airport-guide.co.uk/history.html

It’s not the only site for London’s major airport!

Bucksnet
    Participant

Remember, Heathrow used to have 6 runways.

It’s not the only site for London’s major airport, but it’s a good site and is located to serve most of the demand.

VintageKrug
    Participant

The six runways reference is deceptive; you couldn’t have landed a modern longhaul jet on any one of them.

It is a good site, but it’s also a good site for a mixed use residential/business development in the mould of Canary Wharf, perhaps focussed on the technology sector; terminal building eminently reusable as offices.

It’s not a good site in that it represents a transport pinch point, most flights involve considerable noise and fuel pollution as aircraft overfly London, and it is expansion constrained with the M$ to the north, reservoirs to the West and large residential and business populations to the south and east.

The demand will go elsewhere if Heathrow can’t operate the range and frequency of routes, and demand is likely to double in the next decade, swamping LHR, R3 or not.

The location is all about how long it takes to get there; with the right “Hub” you could get from Reading to Thames Hub in less time it takes to get to LHR now.

Bucksnet
    Participant

To get from Reading to Thames Hub you would need to go past LHR as you headed east. I cannot see how it can be quicker to get there. You cannot even fool some of the people some of the time.

It seems the only way to make this madcap scheme viable is to close existing capacity, as you know people will only go all the way out there if they have to.

Talking about the technology sector, the are a large number of tech companies along the M4 corridor who are based there because of access to LHR. If it is shut down, then expect a lot of their offices to shut down as well.

I suppose more residential is needed to house the 593,000 new immigrants the UK is getting every year, most of whom are claiming some form of benefit, despite Dave’s ‘aspiration’ to bring the numbers down to the tens of thousands. It’s just economic madness.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Have you ever tried to get from reading to LHR by train? You have to go via London.

A direct crossrail high speed service would do it more rapidly than is currently possible.

Thames Hub is the right way forward, and closing Heathrow is certainly not the madcap scheme some would have us believe.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Re: Reading-LHR. No need to go via London. There’s a long-standing direct coach link from Reading station to LHR. visit railair.com

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 604 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls