LGW – Unimpressed

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

• TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

I thought that there was a Flight Connections option at LGW (though from when I do get home I only ever see one or 2 signs for it and have never had to go through that process) – but I guess that there are fewer connection opportunities at LGW as it is becoming an LCC airport. Having never had the need to connect there – I wouldn’t know as LGW is my preferred airport as on my doorstep. I think technically LGW serves more destinations than LHR – just not generally one’s Business Travellers have a need to fly to.

Generally I think over the last few years the experience of LGW has certainly got much better with the new owners having invested in more & better security. Doesn’t mean it is perfect. Station is also better now that the new platform 7 is in play and looks like a lot more investment to come there in the next 5 years as well and new Gatwick Express trains on the way from the rubbish that is used at the moment.

LGW will always struggle as the US market see Heathrow as the London airport hence most US routes now into LHR. For that reason major carriers from the rest of the world will fly to LHR for passengers who do connect on (though now that people can connect easily with ME3 carriers this might diminish). If Americans realized that you can get quicker trains and a more regular service to the City from LGW than LHR then LGW may be stronger – but the LHR brand is just to powerful in the US.

SimonS1
    Participant

I agree Tim, it has improved substantially under the current ownership, although there is still work to be done. Right now the South Terminal seems to be getting the attention.

I suspect part of the challenge is that BA are not the major player at the airport so don’t call the shots when it comes to prime space for lounges etc.

Still far better than Heathrow in my books. If the staff at LGW are miserable I’m not sure how you would describe the HAL bunch.

Andrew66
    Participant

AOTG , perhaps they could send some of EDI finests down to LGW to improve the service , it’s all the same company , same ethos I guess ?? or perhaps living in Edinburgh is more pleasant than residing in the suburbs of Crawley , could also explain why LHR is so happy !!
    Simon,the north terminal is now due to get some money spent on it , a whole new central search area and hopefully a ” premium ” lane that has something more premium about it !!

SimonS1
    Participant

Always room for improvement, however as LGW has around 4x the passengers of EDI I suspect there will always be more of a ‘cattle market’ feel to it.

Like most things much is down to timing. I’ve never waited long in the Fast Track at LGW north (5-7 mins max I would say) although I agree they do generally only have 1 scanner going when occasionally 2 would help.

BigDog.
    Participant

LGW introduces workpods

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2897436/Gatwick-Airport-opens-workpods-designed-Regus.html

I guess for those without lounge access but with work to do, this may be a useful innovation.

StewartK
    Participant

I much prefer LGW to LHR especially when flying Emirates to DBX and compared with T3. Fast Track security was brilliant and the Emirates lounge has excellent cooked breakfast choices. My only rant is the incredibly long walk on the return flight and the tatty, tired immigration and baggage retrieval facilities. On the bright side, the E gates were working..

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

I think many of us who are Sussex / Kent fare prefer Gatwick as an start/end destination. What is interesting about AOTG’s observation about LGW / LHR as an airport to transit which I guess is very different to using an airport as one that may be closest to home and most convenient. If I was flying to DXB or beyond then the EK service is massively appealing. But if I had to transit either airport (and specifically a given Terminal at either airport) then perhaps LHR is better than LGW depending on lounge access / security and so forth.

My guess is it would rank something like (without having to switch terminals):

LHR T2
    LHR T5
    LGW N
    LHR T3
    LHR T4
    LGW S

There would be some bearing on opinion depending which airline / lounge you may have access to. Ignored LHR T1 as closing soon.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

TimFitzgeraldTC – 08/01/2015 10:43 GMT
    I think many of us who are Sussex / Kent fare prefer Gatwick as an start/end destination.

In fairness to you Tim, I have indeed flown to/from Gatwick many many times and other than a long-ish wait to get through security, I’ve never really had any issues. I just found the connection thing a little confusing, I’d just flown overnight so perhaps wasn’t at my best in a Hermitage-fuelled-sleep-deprived kinda way, but I would have thought they’d have had a flight connection offering of some description, been a while since I’ve had to go land-side to go back air-side again.

One plus side is that I would highly recommend the Sofitel at the North terminal, have stayed there twice now and both times I’d rate the stay as excellent, we ate there this time and the food was surprisingly good too. (I’m not a fan of airport hotels).

My complaints aside, I still think I’d choose LGW over LHR, even without the flight connection thing, unless I could do Little Red and VS again where they bus you to the lounge, but that is to stop by all accounts.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

SimonS1
    Participant

I’m a bit confused here. If you are connecting international/international with BA there is as far as I know a flight connections capability which is signed up and doesn’t involve going through immigration..

If you are connecting from BA to another airline then you have to collect your bags anyway.

If you are connecting international to domestic then bags may be checked through but I thought the passenger still had to clear immigration.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

I was connecting BA to BA in North Terminal and did indeed clear immigration as soon as I landed.

Route was: MCO – LGW / LGW – EDI, there was / is no flight connection but signage on the pillars advising connecting passengers to follow signs for baggage reclaim, then at baggage reclaim I had to exit into arrivals then rechecked in via the regular departures terminal involving security again, I was ticketed right through and on the same airline, bags were checked through to EDI and I didn’t need to collect them.

As I said, I was just a little surprised that there was/is no provision at all for connecting when LGW is something of a hub…..

Rgds.
    AOTG.

PS Whilst I was somewhat tired, there was absolutely no signs to ‘flight connections’.

SimonS1
    Participant

Maybe it’s changed recently as part of the refurb works.

It isn’t as I recall it from mid 2014 (BA and other airlines always had a transfer desk on the rhs as you approach immigration), nor in fact what BA say on their website.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/airport-information/london-gatwick

StewartK
    Participant

I’m fairly certain there’s a ‘Flight Connections’ sign pointing right just as you make the left turn for Immigration and Baggage.

peter19
    Participant

I’m the same with AOTG, came in from international couple times last year – connecting to domestic GLA and had to go through immigration. There is a sign for flight connections, it takes you down to baggage reclaim area then you have to exit – go upstairs – go through security again.
    Bags went all the way and obviously had ticket for the LGW to GLA sector.

CXDiamond
    Participant

I’ve just been through LGW for the first time in many years in fact the last time was using GB Airways to GIB when the North Terminal was about three months old.

In the main I found the staff more pleasant than at LHR particularly in security.

I travelled to JER to spend a few days with an old friend. I understand the BA check in area is new, it didn’t look it and nothing was different to my memory but what is all the fuss about. That premium check in was as far from the entry to the terminal as it was possible to get was a most unusual arrangement. It was also absolutely nothing special.

Security was fine with no wait at all and was staffed by polite and pleasant people. Once through there the route to the lounge which was completely different to the one I remember was clearly signed. The lounge itself was nothing special and the F section like a middle of the road business lounge.

Boarding was well managed.

On return luggage delivery was poor which I believe is a feature of LGW, it took over thirty five minutes and priority tags were a waste of the paper they were on.

So the security experience was certainly better than LHR which is the place I dislike most of all those I go to. The remainder of the experience was far from premium. Given the nature of the main operators at the airport, if BA want to create a premium experience for their F & C passengers then they need to try much harder but then that’s the reality of BA. More effort needed.

I’ll write a brief review of the flights and post separately.

Andrew66
    Participant

CXD , the ” new” checkin area zone A was completed in DEC 2011
    Poor return luggage delivery is not a feature of LGW but more in a league of its own courtesy of Swissport , it’s the one thing of BA service at LGW that disappoints me

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls