LGW – Unimpressed

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

• Anonymous

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

I have, in the past, been openly critical of LHR as I find their staff rude and the security even worse. I’m just back from a Christmas/New Year break in America and found LGW to be just as bad.

There is no flight connection service at LGW – which I didn’t know as I’ve only ever used this airport to get to/from Scotland. I de-planed from America then had to go land side then back through security to catch my LGW – EDI flight. Their ‘premium’ security lane was terrible, I’d have definitely been quicker going via the regular security.

BA lounge was very average and overcrowded, no hot food at all.

And then I am heading to gate, hand over my boarding pass to gate goon (he is talking to another employee) with a “good morning” from me only for him to continue chatting with his fellow member of staff. My; “Sorry to interrupt” line was met with a scorn. This was not a BA gate, the one at 55 which leads to A/B/C/D etc etc….some random LGW employee clearly loving his work and looking after his customers.

That’s the only time I can recall flying internationally via LGW – don’t know that I’d be in a massive hurry to repeat it.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

mkcol74
    Participant

peter19
    Participant

AOTG, agree with what you are saying it’s not really ideal at LGW and often slow when switching to a domestic flight. However I do find the staff at the BA lounge very nice there and the showers are awesomely powerful which is a good for a wake up. The hot food thing though – that’s frustrating and often what you read in the comment books…

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

AOTG: Yes the so-called “premium” security channel in the North Terminal is seriously poor owing to its poor layout and single queue. Beyond that, having only very recently experienced both BA lounges, we considered Galleries to be far better to the First Class lounge. The lack of hot food may be an issue for some but Snr Mgt and I both enjoyed the salad on offer last weekend plus the various other food options. The place was busy but considerably better than hanging around downstairs in the shopping mall.

And is it not the case that travelling from the USA, you have to collect your baggage before checking it in again for the domestic leg because it needs to go through HM Customs clearance before any domestic leg?

TominScotland
    Participant

No, AnthonyDunn, at both LGW and LHR bags from international (non-EU) destinations can be checked through to domestic destinations in the UK and are then delivered on a separate belt on arrival (at least in GLA). International to domestic transfer at LGW is a pain and has been commented on before – I guess the volume is relatively small and not deemed worth the establishment of a dedicated route with UKBA facilities etc?

Personally, I really like the BA First Lounge in Gatwick – quirky and old fashioned, maybe but generally quiet and there are limited hot options on the menu too.

EDITED TO ADD: Never had problems with the Priority Channel either – usually very fast and the folk there are polite. Even when it is closed, the alterbative priority route through the main entrance works well in my experience.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I think both Heathrow and Gatwick could do with some friendly PR – but there again, perhaps not… passenger flows are sadly not really dependant and what the passengers think of the airports, but rather, is the flight schedule suitable!!!

Airports have us by the short and curlys… we have to use them regardless.

canucklad
    Participant

EDI also has a separate belt / room for collecting interlined international originating luggage. I’ve never collected luggage at LHR and if my memory serves me I flew BA from Vilnius to EDI via LGW and never had to collect in London, so I’m presuming processes have changed .

As an aside the UKBA woman/girl was by far the most obnoxious individual I’ve experienced anywhere. A truly horrible welcome to this fine land

TominScotland
    Participant

Canuklad, I am not sure that there has been a change of procedure. I flew Faro – Gatwick – Glasgow and checked my bags through. Where there may be issues is when through checking across LGW terminals, I don’t know. Of course, any connections with Easyjet will not allow through-checked bags but that is not a LGW issue.

MrMichael
    Participant

Not sure I agree Martyn, airports such as Amsterdam and Singapore have built their business model on being friendly to pax to attract transfer passengers. I think LHR are investing heavily to do just that, however whereas they are investing big bucks on terminals, infrastructure and process they seem not to invest in staff. Motivated staff will have a can do attitude towards the customer, while LHR continues to treat its staff with contempt, they will treat us the traveller in contempt too. LHR needs to look at investing in staff, training, salary, conditions etc. that is the only way (plus a smoking area) the dream of being a transit stop of choice will be achieved.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@MrMichael – Heathrow treats passengers as an inconvenience, yet passengers do not stop using the airport. Why – flight schedules….

As these boards / thread show… very few people have a good word to say about the Heathrow experience, YET, it is still being used up to capacity, hence why the management of Heathrow, have no interest in investing in staff politeness.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

TominScotland: I have just revealed how often I interline upon arrival in the UK: almost never. I am glad to hear that things have, after a fashion, improved for interline pax at LGW – albeit that there is still some way to go. But in comparing whether I would prefer to be able to use a BA lounge rather than not be able to do so, it really is a complete no-brainer.

KarlMarx
    Participant

As a regular user of LGW (leisure) and LHR (business), I prefer Gatwick, as it is easier to use, with a proper integrated railway station ( not just the tube or HEX) that has regular services to London and a more relaxed attitude when clearing security, which came after the previous owners were obliged to sell it and the new owners made significant changes.

My experience of using both is point to point flying and I imagine that Heathrow offers better connections, as it is more set up for this than LGW.

JeffD
    Participant

I travel regularly from both airports. Living in central London I find the journey to Gatwick much more convenient.

When flying point to point I feel Gatwick wins. It does however have limited route coverage, but this is increasing all the time. Gatwick has improved a lot over the past few years. But I am afraid it will always feel like the poor relation to Heathrow.

If I need to tranfer flights in London then Heathow is my first choice. I find it very impersonal and a bit of production line. But is really set up for conneting between flights.

If I have chioce I prefer Gatwick because of its excellent rail links to London.

I hope that Gatwick continues to attract more airlines giving us the passengers greater choice.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Apologies if my post wasn’t clear.

My bags were indeed checked through to EDI from MCO thanks to BA, the flight itself was very…..BA. British Average – but the fare was excellent so can’t really complain, you gets what you pays for and all that. Back to my arrival into LGW, as a seasoned traveller I was a little confused as I looked and looked for flight connections signs only to find none, there are signs on the pillars advising connecting passengers to follow “baggage reclaim” then in baggage reclaim the signage ceases.

You literally pass the luggage carousel, out into the arrivals hall, up in the elevator to departures then back through security – which was packed and only one line in their ‘priority’ service.

Maybe I am a little spoiled with my home airport of EDI which I almost always find helpful, friendly and easy to get through using their fast line – which in my experience is not fast in name only. And the staff there seem to not have a dismal attitude toward their paying customers. Albeit they are currently having some teething issues with their new security area……too much technology not enough thought process methinks.

Oh well, another learning experience I suppose…..it was a holiday so perhaps I should have looked at it via ‘vacation’ eyes.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls