LGW – Unimpressed

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

• AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Just read this from the LGW website:

International to UK and Ireland connections

You must clear border control and Customs and then check-in for your onward flight.

http://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/Flight-Connections/

I definitely didn’t see any flight connection signs, if I did it was maybe one which sent me back to the luggage carousel then out to arrivals.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

BigDog.
    Participant

AOTG if with Mrs AOTG and needing to overnight for LGW you can make it a touch more special by staying at the Langshott Manor, in Horley – no more than 10 mins away.

Also if you enjoy Indian food there is the Jai Ho – which in summer is 2 mins walk from behind Schlumberger house or a 5 min cab ride. It has been awarded best Indian in the South East and I can highly recommend it.

Daytripper
    Participant

I mainly fly out of the North Terminal after 7pm, and for my last four flights the Premium Security area has been closed altogether at that time.

London is plastered with Gatwick advertising hailing LGW as a serious alternative to Heathrow. ‘Serious alternative’… yeah right.

An airport that treats its premium passenger lane as an optional extra, to be opened and closed on a whim, isn’t to be taken seriously by business travellers, for whom the saving of time is everything.

SimonS1
    Participant

AOTG – interesting although the page isn’t very clear.

For example near the top it says “If your baggage is through checked and you already hold a boarding pass for your onward flight, then simply follow signs for Flight Connections. There is no need to clear border control or Customs. “

However some way down the page it says that if connecting to a domestic flight you do need to clear border control presumably even if you have a boarding pass and your baggage is through checked.

Andrew66
    Participant

To be fair Daytripper you’re not missing much with premium lane being shut , the normal security is just as fast , ad as I’ve said before , there is little premium about the premium lane .

openfly
    Participant

The LGW Premium security isn’t premium anymore. I questioned the guy operating the door check and he confirmed that they let anyone through as “it takes the load off the main security”. No…Gatwick is a charter passenger airport…always has been, always will be.

So whatever airline, whatever class…just walk through.

And certainly the BA First lounge is a farce!

SimonS1
    Participant

I’m not sure that is really right either. I followed a group through who were turned away for not having the silver stickers on the BP.

I think the airlines would quickly be on the case if they thought they were paying the airport for a service not provided.

Is there supposed to be anything “premium” about it? I just thought it was a security lane that was a bit quicker because usage was limited.

TominScotland
    Participant

SimonS1, agree with you on the premium security line – what do folk expect? A personalised show removal service?

openfly – not sure that charter flights constitute much of LGW’s business these days. Do you mean leisure travellers?

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls