LCY so costly?

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)

• esselle
    Participant

VK

Change of ownership will no doubt have an impact on the direction of the plan.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Indeed, but it’s certainly a telling report…

KeaneJohn
    Participant

I guess the airlines are the winners here because they don’t have to pay for lounge access. I personally wont pay £20 for breakfast in a LCY outlet when I could have got something similar in the lounge for nothing. So the airport concessions lose out. For my journey to Glasgow this weekend I had the choice of a schlep to Heathrow using the T5 galleries and a direct flight to Glasgow, or flying to Edinburgh leaving home 45 mins before take off and getting the train to Glasgow. I am taking the latter option and hope the scenery on the rail journey across them is worth it. I will grab breakfast on arrival at Edinburgh.

I don’t fly enough for airlines to listen to my opinion, it was only 11 sectors last year and 12 so far this year but all in premium classes.

When I am at work and have the choice of LHR or LCY LHR will win even though its a bit further away as the convenience of LCY isnt as greater persuasion in that case.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

For me the key is convenience. From DLR to checkin 2 mins. Same if dropping off a rental car. Quickly through security I walk straight to the gate stopping to spend my voucher on a magazine. 15 mins later I can be boarding my plane. Sheer bliss unlike LHR where it takes 15 mins just from the train/tube to the check-in.

For short hops I can live without breakfast in the airport and if I’m early and hungry, then the sheer convenience and lack of hassle is worth the extra.

Seeing how full most of the flights I’ve been on are, I guess the airlines are on to a nice little number operating out of LCY.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Had to go to Amsterdam from LCY about 2-3 months ago with BA and found it quite” nice”

Been a number of years since I have used it but for me in North London its a quick trip on First Capital Conn. to Moorgate/Bank and from there about 15 minutes on the DLR.easy..

Departure area was a big improvement from last time with free wi fi and the coffee was reasonable.
    BA cityflyer was on time and landed in Schipol about 35-40 minutes later….and the sun was shining..

RichHI1
    Participant

Used it twice and enjoyed the airport experience both times. I like small quick airports with no lines on the taxiways and waits for bags. Drawback is ground connections. Coming from Surrey the car ride to LCY took twice as long as the flight to Europe, so all the speed advantage vanished. Also car ride was almost three times the price of LHR trip for me.

canucklad
    Participant

Never used LCY. However If I’m paying for a premium service I would expect a level of consistency regardless of point of departure. Ryanair use small airports with no facalities so some of the arguments are flawed. I would suggest that the primary problem that this airport has is its outlets quite frankly taking the p**s.!! And the airlines not thinking out the box. Quite literally!

RogEdwards
    Participant

KeaneJohn – if your flight to EDI is before 10am you’ll get a full English on the Domestic in addition to the full CE breakfast on the Prague leg.

MarcusUK
    Participant

I fly in or out of LCY each week.

Many advantages as stated already, and for arrival it is also excellent to be out of the airport within 15 ins with a checked in bag, or 10 minutes from landing without. This depends on Border staff being there also…

Flying out, it is easy to have a breakfast package for £10 at the two cafes there, but the sandwich and coffee stores are overpriced for sure. BK put a very interesting and informative link on the future development plans, which outlines their priorities. These appear not to include provision for lounges.
    It is an up-market airport with many advantages of time but little space. I tend to think the whole area is a lounge as it is relatively small, and do not mind paying a decent amount for food or drink there.
    Many Airlines from LCY provide little or no food on board.The flights tend to be 1-1.5 hrs duration from LCY.
    Cityjet offer sandwiches and a full bar service, hot cold drinks, where-as BA give you a bag with 150mls of water and some unhealthy packets of snack.
    So in terms of the airport, the food & drink quality is the better option that the airline.

KeaneJohn
    Participant

I have since flown again from and to LCY. I decided to go for the time factor living just 15mins away so left home about 45 mins before departure being one of the last people to drop my bag, go through and empty security and walk to the gate where the flight was closing. Barely had time to pull out some cash from the ATM. Was pleasantly surprised to find that an OKish full breakfast was served with tea/coffee and orange juice,. so I didn’t try any of the airport catering. On the return the was walking in the door about 23 mins after touchdown with hold luggage.

Am now Silver with BA and it is a nice to unwind with a drink and snack before flight so it is a tough choice as to whether I use LHR or LCY.

I have an inkling that my landlord might force my hand by giving me notice to move out before the Olympics so will hold off from making my next flight bookings though LCY.

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls