LCY so costly?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)

• KeaneJohn
    Participant

I think that explains it LuganoPirate as I am on BMI Silver and even though it was LH metal and a Business Class ticket they asked what card I had if to determine if I should have got a voucher or not.

I now live in West Ham/Stratford on a direct bus and DLR to LCY and prior to that in Woolwich so know only too well the speed and convenience. I flew into LHR a couple of weeks ago from PRG with BA in CE and was home 2 hours after touchdown and that didn’t seem too bad but I will be looking forward to being at home 60 minutes before take off and home 15 mins after landing on my trip this week.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

KeaneJohn – sounds like the perfect location for the new Forum lounge for LCY!

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Nice one Martyn!

Daytripper
    Participant

From where I live in London, LHR and LCY are equidistant by car. I fly to many short haul destinations offering British Airways services from both London airports.

I will always choose Heathrow over LCY because of City’s lack of business lounges.

London City Airport take note. Over the years, your flights have lost tens of thousands of Pounds worth of my business for this reason. I’m sure I’m not the only one who feels the same. Short check-in time or no short check-in time, it sounds like a weak excuse for not providing proper facilities for frequent flyers and business class passengers.

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

It is down to competition, as LCY is so small there is no outlet competition or direct head-to-head airline competition. It encourages profit maximisation behaviour which takes precedence over the need to provide examplary service when there is competition.

RichHI1
    Participant

Having aproperty South West of London, LCY is not an airport I use often as the journey can often take 2 hours. On the few occasions I have used it I loved the smallness and the speed. As previously posted I think this is the USP. There should be as little as possible. THe minute you have lounges and shopping arcades the airport and airlines will impose long check in times to make more money.
    I wish there an airport to the South West that was a small walk and board with no bally hoo. Maybe Farnborough can grow.

esselle
    Participant

Not sure from the preceeding posts which is the chicken and which is tne egg.

The airport itself is not under any obligation to provide a lounge/lounges; this is the decision of an individual airline. However, in the case of LCY, there is simply no room.

My view is therefore that the arilines should recognise that not having the ability to offer “normal” levels of service, which their loyal pax would take for granted at other airports, means they should provide some alternative to address this.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am with RIch, LCY is a unique airport. Compare to other downtown city airports.

Its difficult to get to, except by public transport.

Lounge facilities, I think KeaneJohn has the best option.

Will definitely use for USA again, as long as the prices are kept below the £2k mark, which for me is the barrier when I am footing the bill.

SwissExPat
    Participant

Thinking aloud about who benefits from this situation at LCY.

The existance of galleries lounge at T5 (and all other such lounges) means that pax in these lounges get beverages for no cost. Some (not all) of the items consumed in these lounges would be purchased by these pax if the lounge did not exist.

Hence the retailers in the restaurant and Bars in LHR miss out on this revenue (all other things being equal) since it is provided in the lounge.

Not so at LCY, the retailers make this revenue and assuming they operate to a target profitabiity, the rent of their space from the Airport adjusts accordingly, i.e being higher than it would be if the sales volumes were less (i.e the case where a lounge exists).

Hence it is the Airport owner who ultimately benefits from the ‘higher’ rent from retailers (assuming perfect elasticity)

This might be mitigated by the affect of pax deciding not to use LCY because of the higher cost (of beverages) and this thread suggests that there are at least 2 people who would be dissuaded from using LCY for the above reason.

Daytripper
    Participant

Who says that LCY has no room for business lounges?

Its terminal building has two levels. What is wrong with constructing a third? The constant building work at most major airports is testament to where there being a will there being a way.

esselle
    Participant

Swiss ExPat

I think your logic may be flawed here. The rent paid by an airline to an airport owner for use of lounge space would far exceed any gain from higher sales of food and drink, so if space was available they would certainly create a lounge, even if it was multi use or pay on entry.

The point, surely, is that the airline is saving money by not paying for the space and running costs of a lounge. The passenger, on the other hand, is expected to fork out because the airline offers no voucher to compensate for the lack of lounge.

SwissExPat
    Participant

Hi Esselle

Yes, you have a point. The airline may benefit also in not paying rent for this space and also not having to stock the lounge with food/beverage and also the cost of staff to operate it.

The Airport owner would need to assess if it is better to get the higher rent from retailers or from the rent on the lounge. I have no feeling as to which would be better for them.

IN all cases, it is the frequent PAX (as opposed to the non regular Pax) who suffers!

esselle
    Participant

Hello Swiss ExPat

I agree with you, it is always the pax that suffers, especially when an “enhancement” is made on their behalf!!

Happy and safe travels

esselle
    Participant

Daytripper

LCY is subject to some of the most rigourous restrictions that exist, hence they cannot fly on Saturdays. Trust me, they would love to have more space if they could !!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Lots to be learned about future lans in this document:

http://www.londoncityairport.com/Downloads/MasterPlan.pdf

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls