Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 65 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Here’s a useful tool – not sure how accurate it is..

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/wait_times/

DavidGordon10
    Participant

This discussion about Global Entry for the USA is interesting: I have a friend who is enrolled and have heard about the great virtues of the scheme. However, it is not really relevant to me as I only go to the US three or four times a year.

However, I re-enter my own country about 50 times a year, and would love something that worked, that would get us frequent travellers over the border fast. Iris used to do it for me, but I lost my registration when my passport was stolen, there are no new registrations, and the Iris gates are steadily vanishing. The e-passport gates at UK airports are a joke; not open at all times, not enough of them (the queues can be longer than the queues for the ordinary passport control) and both my e-passports fail in them 100% of the time, although they succeed in e-gates in other EU countries 95% of the time.

SimonS1
    Participant

I agree David. The eGates are a joke. Far too slow and it doesn’t save any time. In fact at Gatwick it would be better to redeploy the officials involved (the ‘helper’ and the two bored looking border officials at desks) to deal with the main flow of passengers.

For an example of how an eGate works well look at Dubai. Emirates gold card and a thumb scan and it takes about 3 seconds.

MarkCymru
    Participant

@Martyn. It’s very odd because (after putting me on hold twice), the BAEC person told me that the invitation from them would *ONLY* go to Gold members

To quote from the email that I got from the US CBP, “In order to submit your application, you will need a promotional code. Your promotional code is XXXXXX. Please note that promotional codes are unique, and can only be used once. The code will expire on December 31, 2013, so you must apply before that date.”.

@FormerlyDOS Since we haven’t heard from BT, I think that it’s OK to post the address. I wrote to
    Larry Panetta
    Global Entry Program Manager
    Office of Field Operations
    U. S. Customs and Border Protection.
    His email is <a href="mailto:[email protected]“>[email protected]

I’m sure the US government’s spam filters are good enough to deal with anything that the BT Forum users can throw at them!

It’s also worth noting the last para of the email that they sent me, “All applicants will undergo a rigorous background check and interview by a CBP officer before enrollment. Applicant data will also be shared with the United Kingdom Border Agency (UKBA) for vetting by the UKBA. Enrollment is not guaranteed and a non-refundable application fee of US $100 will apply. Due to data protection legislation, UK Citizens will be required to provide a “Police Certificate for Immigration Purposes” by the ACPO Criminal Records Office. Additional information on ACPO certificates can be found at http://acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx. The ACRO Disclosure Certificate will have to be obtained prior to applying online, as you will be required to enter the certificate number in the application (only the numbers). The ACRO Disclosure Certificate will also have to be presented to CBP at the time of the Global Entry interview. Only applicants with ACRO Disclosure Certificates that indicate “No Trace” will be considered for the pilot.” This is a lot of work but I think it will be worth doing

I was really impressed by the speed and courtesy of the US CBP response — I got an email back the next day. It augurs well for the efficiency of processing

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Thanks, Mark

I have sent an email – it will be interesting to see if my permanent residency in Malta affects my application and whether the US will require two police certificates. And how easy it is to get one in Malta.

StephenLondon
    Participant

I have <a href="mailto:[email protected]“>[email protected] as an email address should the ones above not work. Fingers crossed one of them will.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Thanks Mark. Email sent.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Thanks Mark. Email sent.

EDIT – wow Mark, promo back in under 1 hour. Wonder if I can get an interview before I leave tomorrow!!

This thread for me is probably the most useful and certainly ranks right up there with VK’s hint to be a LCY-JFK flight through AA and not BA….

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Also got a very fast reply and code, thanks again, Mark.

GoonerLondon
    Participant

No you wont be able to get your interview tomorrow. I understand the slots are booking to about a month waitlist at the moment.

You also need to get your police certificate sorted to set your application off (with 2 signed passport pics).

Goldcardsaplenty
    Participant

Some good info on this thread….

Does anyone know if holding current visas (B1 & C1/D full working entitlement) will ease the application process as I have already been through the ‘trusted traveller’ investigation process?

Also what happens if you’re travelling with a companion? I don’t think my wife would be too pleased if I zipped through in 10 minutes and then sat in the bar for the next 3 hours waiting for her!

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

Just got a code too, in about an hour. It appears from the accompanying email that you need a police certificate BEFORE applying online as the certificate number must be entered as part of the electronic process.

Thanks for the help, one and all. Just what this forum should be about!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Now seen the application process. All appears straight forward and the cost… best part of £45 (if you are in a BIG hurry, that could be trebled) for UK police check + $100 for the Americans.

No interview (as Gooner points out) tomorrow, will take couple of weeks for me to organize the police report.

Very appreciative to Mark for highlighting this… Oh, the promo code is valid for 4 months.

It does occur to me though, why cant there be one department / organization that is acceptable to verify / identify people. I have needed to be individually identified over the past 3 years by:

*UK Passport office for 2 passports
    *ESTA
    *BAA security pass
    *FAA/CAA licensing
    *Driving licenses on 3 continents
    *countless financial ID cheques by banks and insurance company, including an estate agent!!

A great money earner, for those allowed to charge……

NNoah16
    Participant

Interesting. BA 179 is my favourite flight to NYC JFK T7.
    Travelling in First I never had to wait more than a few minutes but then again I never go there in August anymore.

There are two Cathay Pacific evening flights; one arriving JFK at 8:15pm and the other arriving at 10:40pm with BA 179 scheduled in the middle for 20:55. Delays could potentially result in a bottleneck.

August travel to JFK is usually quite painful in my experience. The worst a delay of 5 hours arriving on SWISS also travelling First.

Avoid the month (if possible).

tonyrastall
    Participant

I activley try and avoid Chicago immigration as I regularly miss the next 3 connection flights – I expect queues up to 2 – 3 hours. I often think a great game would be for a immigration official to ask all arriving foreigners where they are from on arrival into the UK and treat them accordingly, i.e if you are from USA – pls join that 3 hour queue over there sir, you will then need 3 x 20p pieces if you want a trolley, a 6 mile walk to the rental car centre (shared with all companies, so no dropping off gold members anywhere near their car), and then you will need at least 10 x 50p pieces to pay for un-manned toll booths that you will hit as soon as you leave the airport

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 65 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls