Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 65 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

JFK HELL & Using Global Entry

@StephenLondon “If you are a UK passport holder, the US CBP are accepting a new group of applications”

Are you able to elaborate further? Nothing on the web site seems to agree with this; current acceptable applicants (below)

“Global Entry is open to U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, Dutch citizens, South Korean citizens and Mexican nationals. Canadian citizens and residents may enjoy Global Entry benefits through membership in the NEXUS program.”

I am happy to pay $100 just to apply. I am trying to call one of the few offices open today (Sunday), but will probably ask at the airport when I go through on Tuesday….

This indeed would be great news, if us Brits are eligible to apply….

century303
    Participant

Martin,

It is indeed great news. Currently investigating this for myself as it will be very handy.

The rules have recently been changed – have a look at:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/news_releases/national/08092013_3.xml

I understand you can get a promo code by calling BAEC ( you can get the invites from other airlines too) and you’ll also need a police certificate obtainable from Acro.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

century303 – many thanks for the link. I am going to speak to the Global department tomorrow. Sadly I leave USA on Tuesday and imagine the interview will need to be in the States and not London.

What do BAEC have to do with this in terms of promo code…. ??

Has any one on here applied yet (UK passport holder)??

EDIT – whatever the promo code is, its needed to get past page 3! Looks like an email to BAEC is next…

century303
    Participant

Martin, I’ve emailed BAEC for a code as I was told that it serves as the invite ( apparently we still need to be invited to join?).

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@century303 – so BAEC will have at least 2 emails to read tomorrow!

@HedgeFundFlyer – are you happy with your thread being used to cover Global entry or should a new thread be started..??

SimonS1
    Participant

@daytripper – nothing wrong with people coming to the UK to fill jobs that other people won’t take. They contribute to the economy although I suppose we should ask why the taxpayer (you and I) is busy paying benefits to Brits unwilling to take these jobs. I do however have an issue with people who come to UK without employment expecting to be taken care of at my expense. Romanians living rough in London would be an example. Call me racist or semi racist if you wish but these people would be better off in Romania.

@HonestCrew – interesting, I suppose a sign of the times that budget deficits have to be cut. I wonder to what extent the income from visa applications is actually spent on the underlying services? Bit much to be continually jacking up the cost of a visa whilst reducing the service?

HonestCrew
    Participant

There is definitely a financial push happening right now.
    A good example is with the US procedure with regards to our onboard liquor carts. We have always had to count and declare the closing contents for tax/duty reasons, but now on many of our US destinations the crew must restock the carts themselves and the carts stay on the aircraft for the return flight.
    This year US customs have been randomly coming on to count the contents of these return bars and should anything be counted incorrectly, even say by one miniature bottle of voddy, BANG – $5000 fine!
    Washington Dulles and Newark being the most common stations.
    If the carts were going off to a bonded warehouse then of course the count must be accurate but being so petty about the tiniest little thing, plus the fact the carts DON’T EVEN LEAVE THE A/C it is clearly a revenue making venture.

@JonathanM8 Totally agree, I advise friends and family and anyone really to always try to fly to Newark for NY. Nicer terminal, good biz lounge and avoiding the ‘is this it?’ feeling of JFK Terminal 7 immigration area for first-time NY visitors.

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

MartynSinclair

Very happy for it to be used, thanks.

Global Entry is, I suspect, the solution for many of us. I will be calling the GGL desk on Tuesday for a promo code!!

Whether they give me one is another matter. I suspect they are rationed and most of my travel is to S Asia and the Far East but we shall see.

I am due to take my parents for a surprise long weekend to NYC next spring. Though physically able, I am not sure I can subject them to what I have encountered on the last few trips. It’s a real shame as it will cost a city I love a lot of lost revenue!!

StephenLondon
    Participant

Apologies, Marty…been on a long flight today so out of touch!

You don’t need an invite from BA – you can email Norman Pinetta at CBP and they will send you a promo code. Likewise, I understand that BA (and a few other airlines) are getting a new batch of codes. I know a few that have recently got codes by emailing the US CBP. You’ll need a police check, and an interview in the US (it will take a few days at least to get an appointment, once you have all the docs filed, etc.). The appointment can be at many airports around the US, and there are some offices in Wash DC, for example, where you can attend. Interview was pretty quick, and GE issued right afterwards. Simple. And it sure takes the sting out of entry!

MarkCymru
    Participant

@StephenLondon Sorry to be dim but can you point me to where to find the email for Mr Pinetta at CBP. I’ll try BA too

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I’m not a BAEC member so if anyone finds out another way to get a promo code I would be very interested!

canucklad
    Participant

I agree that the Us really need to take a look at themselves…

On my recent trip back to BC, my suggestion for a wee trip across the border was met with a look of horror from all that I mentioned it too……

And the basic message was very simple ……” They might want our money, but they don’t want us, so they’re not getting my money”

So sad….I remember the days before 9/11 and you where generally greeted with real warmth ….. now it seems that even their neighbours are treated like the Maple leaf Taliban brigade….

And my opinion of the NEXUS scheme….. like HonestCrew’s travails is just a money making machine….I’m sure the 9/11 hijackers would have qualified if they knew the criteria…

If only our guys could be as efficient and welcoming as HKG & YVR…travelling would be much more blissful…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

BAEC have now responded;

“The trial is currently on an invitation only basis, and any promotional codes British Airways hold are given on a highly selected basis to a low number of card holders on an invitation only basis.”

I will contact the department directly whilst I am state side to see if there are any other options to apply.

Its a pity that the income generated from ESTA applications isn’t pumped back to help the people it is meant to help by creating Border Control jobs….

MarkCymru
    Participant

@Ian. After a very, very long call with BAEC, I discovered that you have to be gold or above to get an invite from them. Unlike BA, the US Customs and Border Patrol service are fast, friendly and very efficient. Yesterday, I sent an email explaining that I was a frequent traveller to the US and requesting a promo code. They replied this morning with the code. I will now use this to begin my application. The email address is available on line and I’m happy to post it if BT thinks that it’s OK within the forum rules

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Mark – is the promo code generic or specifc per applicant??

I am BAEC Gold and as you read, was declined with a promo code from BAEC. I am now calling the CBP office to see if I can possibly get an application and interview before I return to the UK tomorrow night…

EDIT – just spoke to CBP in the USA who advised me the promo card needs to come from the “British Government”.

Its certainly good news that the Americans are creating a Fast Track system that the Brits may apply to buy into – the fact it is a challenge to apply, well……….. all part and parcel of travelling….

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 65 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls