ITA…….the new face of Alitalia

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 110 total)

• Tramor01
    Participant

Hi Sparkyflier – I was applying for a status match against BA Gold.

transtraxman
    Participant

ITA is having to face up to new competition in its efforts to make a mark for itself.

“Another Startup: Italy’s Aeroitalia Is Launched,” (Simple Flying 27-4-22)
    Aeroitalia obtained its Air Operator Certificate (AOC) on April 22nd, 2022 and will fly from Forlí,.. “an airport in the Emilia-Romagna region of northern Italy, near the Italian Riviera. The airport has few scheduled flights and services a wide catchment area including Remini, Bologna, Ravenna, and the Most Serene Republic of San Marino,…” Boeing 737-800s will be used.
    “Fellow startup Lumiwings is commencing operations from Forlì this year with links to Palermo (PMO), Catania (CTA), and Parma (PMF).”
    The airport lists London and Paris as soon to be inaugurated destinations, but nothing is concrete as yet.

https://simpleflying.com/aeroitalia-italian-startup-airline/

“German Efromovich: Who Is Startup Aeroitalia’s Non-Executive President?”(Simple Flying 28-4-22)
    “The Board of Directors of Aeroitalia is composed of German Efromovich as the non-executive president, Marc Bourgade, a French banker as the chairman, and Gaetano Intrieri as the CEO.”

https://simpleflying.com/german-efromovich-aeroitalia-non-executive-president/

AMcWhirter
    Participant

First photos of the A350’s interior cabin

Business is 1-2-1. Economy is 3-3-3. No premium economy.

ITA’s A350 will operate from June 2022. Initial routes are from Rome to Los Angeles, Buenos Aires and Sao Paulo.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

ITA Airways has ordered nine A321neos.

That we already know.

But what is new as reported from Germany is that some of these will be the long-haul variant.

Aerotelegraph reports that the A321LR (if fitted with additional fuel tanks) would have a range of up to 7,400 kms.

The first A321neo will be delivered in 2023.

ITA Airways bekommt ab 2023 Airbus A321 LR

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Alitalia used to provide designer uniforms for its crew.

And ITA is no exception.

sparkyflier
    Participant

It seems that the Italian Gov has chosen the party including DL & AF/KL is shareholders in ITA, choosing them over the LH/MSC bid.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-31/italy-picks-certares-delta-air-france-klm-for-ita-airways-l7hc8k8o

I was rather hoping LH would get them as I thought Delta might do a status match if ITA switched to a competing alliance.

1 user thanked author for this post.

transtraxman
    Participant

“Rome chooses Certares for exclusive ITA Airways talks”, (31-8-22, ch-aviation)
    This article confirms what Sparkyflier stated in the previous post, with Delta, AF-KLM winning the bid.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/118976-rome-chooses-certares-for-exclusive-ita-airways-talks

AMcWhirter
    Participant

ITA wants to be sustainable as do other carriers.

New A220 will enter service on October 16.

It carries the banner “Born to be Sustainable.”

transtraxman
    Participant

“Sale of ITA Airways: Italian government ends exclusive negotiations with Certares, Air France-KLM and Delta,” (2-11-22, Aviation24.be)

Sale of ITA Airways: Italian government ends exclusive negotiations with Certares, Air France-KLM and Delta

………….so the sale is now open again to any interested party…..principally meaning Lufthansa with MSC.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Losses at ITA Airways continue.

This morning @luchtvaart [NL] reports that the Italian govt is providing an addition Euros 400 million in aid.

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/categorie/2/airlines/ita-airways-krijgt-nog-eens-400-miljoen-euro-van-de-regering-in-rome

transtraxman
    Participant

MSC drops out of the bidding for ITA leaving Lufthansa on its own. But now it looks like Lufthansa has found a new minor partner in Italian railways(Ferrovie dello Stato) (FS). This seems a good deal for the Italian Nationalist right-wing Government.
    With Lufthansa at 51%, FS at 29% and the Italian government retaining 20% the arrangement seems satisfactory for Italian interests.
    However, the process is not over as yet since other interested parties could still put in bids. Let us wait and see.
    “Rome mulls sale of ITA Airways to Lufthansa and rail company”, (28-11-22, ch-aviation)

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/121946-rome-mulls-sale-of-ita-airways-to-lufthansa-and-rail-company

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Apparently a report in La Repubblica says that Lufthansa now says it doesn’t want FS onboard.

Should Lufthansa eventually acquire ITA Airways it would join Star Alliance.

Aerotelegraph [DE]

Lufthansa will offenbar Staatsbahn bei ITA Airways nicht an Bord haben

rferguson
    Participant

ITA is my favourite airline – although I have never flown them 🙂

They originally status matched my BA Gold card. Then extended it with COVID. I just received an email from them today titled ‘we have a gift for you’. With a FURTHER extension of the Gold-esque benefits until Dec 31 2023. As a member of Skyteam this is invaluable. Thanks ITA!

2 users thanked author for this post.

transtraxman
    Participant

BT has presented us today with a piece of news concerning the future of ITA which has been up in the air for some time….
    “Lufthansa bids for stake in ITA Airways,”

This follows on from other droplets earlier….
    “Lufthansa Group might acquire up to 40% of ITA Airways,” (9-1-22, Aviation24.be)

The latest news suggests that Lufthansa has dropped its plans to bid with MSC and go it alone — firstly acquiring a small stake in ITA building up to complete ownership.
    “….the initial acquisition of a minority stake as well as on options to purchase the remaining shares at a later date”.
    This is a radical change from the initial idea of The Italian State maintaining a majority share of ITA with Lufthansa in a minority.
    “Lufthansa submits offer to acquire a stake in ITA”, (18-01-23, Aviation24.be)

Lufthansa submits offer to acquire a stake in ITA

We shall see what happens.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

[postquote quote=1325065]

I’d been keen to know how you engaged on a status match although I probably missed that boat a long time ago. As far as I can see, they only seem to have a phone number to contact them, but an extended call from Ghana would probably cost more than it would be worth.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 110 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls