ITA…….the new face of Alitalia

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 110 total)

• transtraxman
    Participant

Now that it is clear the European Commission will not permit the new Italian start-up airline, ITA, any favours…..
    “European Commission finds new air carrier ITA is not Alitalia’s economic successor and Italy’s capital injections into ITA are market conform”, (Aviation24.be 10-09-21)

European Commission finds new air carrier ITA is not Alitalia’s economic successor and Italy’s capital injections into ITA are market conform

…….however, that does not mean that ITA will not attempt to squeeze some advantages out of the Italian government, especially as the new national flag carrier will start at a considerable disadvantage.
    “ITA Facing Uphill Battle to Start Operations”, (Airways Magazine, 09-09-21)

ITA Facing Uphill Battle to Start Operations

On the assumption that Heathrow will climb back into prominence and be in demand by airlines then ITA will desire slots to serve its two principal cities of Rome and Milan. However, the remains of Alitalia which are up for sale do not include slots as there are none. Alitalia has been using slots rented from Etihad to whom it sold them in 2017. But Etihad has no desire to renew the agreement which expires on 31st October, so ITA will be left with no Heathrow slots to bid for – unless it can obtain them elsewhere and has the money for their purchase. The alternative will come down to Gatwick or Stansted as has been the case in the past.
    “London Slots:Another Hurdle on ITA´s Path”, (Airways Magazine, 12-09-21)

London Slots: Another Hurdle on ITA’s Path

Before the opening of the new third runway at Heathrow (still a long way off) ITA could well be banished from the airport. There are lots of airlines waiting in line for slots. So, will a deal be struck between the two governments to let ITA into Heathrow? (maybe using underused BA slots?).

2 users thanked author for this post.

alainboy56
    Participant

Why does anyone care.
    This IS ALITALIA, just by a different name.
    Perhaps many here on this forum do not know that the present ALITALIA (that will close in October) is not even the ALITALIA from before.
    This one I believe is called Alitalia CAi and was formed when Airone took them over (or so say publicly) in the last Govt underhand buy-out.
    I believe and the facts are out there to check for me, that the various forms of ALITALIA have lost money in all but 2 of its years of operations.
    It is a complete loss making outfit subsidised by the Italian Govt (read taxpayer) from Rome as most, maybe more than 90% of the employees ARE from Rome.

I have described here and elsewhere that unlike in UK for example with BA if you wish to gain employment with them, then you will be forced to relocate/or take accommodation closer to where they want you.
    Not in Italy, as few Romans will move to ‘cold and foggy with inedible food’ Venezia, or ‘cold and snowy’ Torino where they eat sparrows and polenta, or ‘humid and rainy, where they eat only veal’ Milano etc etc etc. Therefore, as I have explained here several times before, on the penultimate flight to all out stations in Italy whether it be Bari, Brindisi, Genova or Verona they are carrying another complete crew in full uniform as they are being paid for this duty, and they are for the next day’s early morning return flight back to Rome. All those crew members will be paid their minimum hours and will stay that night in a 5* hotel with dinner (as ALL Italians eat dinner at 8pm) all at tremendous expense to the operation and which makes no economic sense whatsoever.

This is just one instance of the intransigence of ALITALIA employees and the new ITA staff will be the same people, supported by the same powerful unions.

Nothing will change and within 5 years yet another merger/buy-out/debt cull will be announced and the circle will continue ‘ad infinitum’……………

5 users thanked author for this post.

Johnnyg
    Participant

Aerotime Hub today stated that:

ITA (Italia Trasporto Aereo), Italy’s new national airline and flag carrier, prepares for its upcoming launch. The air carrier committed to taking a total of 59 new Airbus passenger aircraft for future operations.

On September 30, 2021, Alitalia’s successor ITA signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Airbus over the purchase of 28 new jets, including 11 A321 neo Family jets, 10 A330s, and seven A220 aircraft. In the meantime, the new Italian carrier also agreed with Air Lease Corporation (ACL) over the lease of 31 planes, including 15 A220s, nine A321neos, five A330-900s, and two A320neo aircraft. The new national carrier expects to receive its first aircraft delivery under agreement with Airbus as early as the first quarter of 2022, while deliveries of ACL leased planes should start in the second half of 2022.

———-
    This should be worth watching to see if it actually happens.

transtraxman
    Participant

I read the same news almost word for word on some website.
    In my humble opinion you should also state the source of your information. Periodistically it is a must.
    I have my opinions which are my own, but information comes from somewhere which should be credited.

alainboy56
    Participant

@transtraxman

I think this is a PR Office released statement, and that is why many aviation outlets have the same article almost word for word.

transtraxman
    Participant

Thus whoever quotes it should state his source.

anyonebutba
    Participant

I have to add you are incorrect that BA ( and most airlines) , do in fact state in the contract of employment for cabin and most ground crew that you must live within a 90 minute or less (variable by airline) of the base at which you work, of course there are crew that live further afield that commute, but many have now left and took voluntary redundancy due to Covid, no its not just Alitalia that stipulates staff lives close to base. also I have friends and family in Italy and they do not ALL eat at 8pm lol, how funny

alainboy56
    Participant

@anyonebutba

Perhaps my contribution was not clear so let me clarify.
    When one steps on a BA flight, whether it be from Manchester, Glasgow or the home base of London, one will hear an exotic array of accents from Scousers to Brummies and from Tykes to Ulstermen (or Ulsterwomen) etc. And maybe their base of work is Glasgow or Ringway or another outstation.
    However on ALITALIA, one never hears any other accent other than Romano. As they make it difficult for others to get employment with AZ from other provinces. And that is precisely why you will find so many young Italians especially, on Ryanair, but also on Volotea, and Wizz etc etc. Look further afield and you find a few on EK and QR exactly because they cannot get employment with their own national carrier. I am of course discussing only flight crew, not ground staff. I flew FlyDubai (unfortunately) once before the pandemic, and the 1st Officer was most definitely a northern Italian.

On the subject of ‘cena’ time, I still beg to differ on your refuted time of eating.
    I have lived and worked all over Italy from Brindisi in the south, Venezia in the north east and Carrara in the extreme north of Tuscany on the NW coast and they ALL eat between 7.30 and 8.30pm, ——— 9pm would be already considered very late to start proceedings.
    Anyhow, if there are some areas of Italy where they take dinner at different timings, then I accept it……. but please do enlighten me, could I ask where?

So on a broader stroke, let’s see how this ‘new’ ITA works out — as I said above, I give it 5 years before it needs another, or is that the 1st bail-out.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Johnnyg
    Participant

[postquote quote=1112520]

I missed the source out, apologies

Aeortime hub

https://www.aerotime.aero/29070-new-italian-national-airline-ita-to-add-59-new-airbus-jets

transtraxman
    Participant

According to this article the definitive name of ITA will only be revealed at Friday´s launch. Meanwhile we are being provided with a gimmicky interim livery.
    “Italy’s ITA Creates A Special Livery Ahead Of Its Launch On Friday”, (Simple Flying, 12-10-21)

Italy’s ITA Creates A Special Livery Ahead Of Its Launch On Friday

cwoodward
    Participant

As the bankrupt Air Alitalia’s brand is being auctioned (and sealed bids have already been submitted) it would seem reasonably likely that ITA will purchase it.
    ITA it seems is already in dispute with its unions and talks are reported to have ‘broken down’
    Everything changes – nothing changes !

For many years I worked out of Florence for 2-3 weeks every year. We never dined before 8.30 and often it was nearer 10pm – this was the normal time that locals dined. Tourists as a rule dined much earlier.
    I haven’t been there for 8 years now but things are very slow to change in Florencia

transtraxman
    Participant

I am afraid I do not understand your point. What is relevant about the times of culinary satisfaction in Italy, as with many Mediterranean countries, to a new airline?
    Both you and I know that the adoption of the “Alitalia” name brings with it a lot of baggage, a lot of which is negative. Thus the adoption of Alitalia as the brand could well be the death knell for the new airline.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

This airline does need a stronger brand name.

After all Italy is one of the world’s most popular tourist destinations.

What does ITA signify to those who live outside Europe ?

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

LATEST: Looks like Alitalia remains according to Corriere della Sera. [IT]

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Transtraxman: for the answer to the question that you raised look up thread.
    Brand: We are perhaps both aware that if ITA did not purchase the brand name the likely buyer would be / would have been Ryanair.
    I suspect that most Italians would not be particularly happy about that prospect.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 110 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls