Is there any need for a pre-flight safety briefing from cabin crew?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 83 total)

• MrMichael
    Participant

As a marketer myself I always like to see innovative marketing initiatives such as this. Well done Emirates.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Very clever.

As a frequent traveller on Emirates, the cabin crew do not (sadly) seem to receive the same amount of attention during the pre-flight briefing.

I’d add that IME Ryanair are consistently the bext in pro-actively asking for attention and then pausing, addressing noisy individuals, where necessary.

canucklad
    Participant

Brilliant by Emirates…….

On a serious note and linking to the topic title, I watched a recently aired new episode of Air Crash Investigation. Sadly all on board the commuter plane died because the passengers located at the window emergency exits forgot that they were emergency exits…

All perished as they tried in vain to open the main door at the front as flames engulfed the propjet !!

It’s assumed that because the safety briefing on the flight was a recording, the passengers ignored the key messages and forgot about their secondary exits when confronted by their stressful but survival situation. .

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

And just passed onto me by Snr Mgt, the latest eye-watering alternative offering from QF. This one doubles as a safety briefing and advertisement for flying to/around Oz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhbXFHrDmTg

FDOS_UK
    Participant

It’s a beautifully produced video, with great content, but I wonder if the retention of information is as high as after a Ryanair briefing, which is as boring as sin, but is backed up by engaged crew who pretty much demand attention and then pounce on people who disrupt it?

ba747fan1
    Participant

On Ryanair, can you listen to headphones during the briefing as I disagree that BA allow this.

ba747fan1
    Participant

On Ryanair, can you listen to headphones during the briefing as I disagree that BA allow this.

ba747fan1
    Participant

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I think the proper term is that “BA do not not allow passengers to use headphones during the safety briefing.

I for one wish cabin crew on any airline had the presence / authority to enforce head phones off, papers down and shut the f**k up, during the safety briefing. It could just save a life ….

FDOS_UK
    Participant

ba747fan1 – 18/02/2016 13:48 GMT

IIRC, Ryanair asks pax to remove headphones/earphones for the brief.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

“I for one wish cabin crew on any airline had the presence / authority to enforce head phones off, papers down and shut the f**k up, during the safety briefing. It could just save a life ….”

+1

ba747fan1
    Participant

I was sitting on 1F the other week up to Aberdeen on BA and the person in 1E had headphones blaring out so loud that all could hear during the briefing and the person in 1D had the FT wide open and did not look up. The crew said nothing. Even though I could probably recite the briefing on short haul airbuses, I would still always pay attention. I would have thought people could spare 2 minutes to listen! I have seen people told off on AA domestic for having headphones on in briefing quite a few times amnd where as Soouthwest, I have not ober the last year.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

ba747fan1 – 18/02/2016 14:27 GMT

Some people think they know it all, so why should they waste their time/effort? And if the geezer with the headphones can hear his music ok, why should he worry about anyone else?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Many airlines now have animated characters giving the demo on a screen which either drops down or is in front of you. I prefer this to a personal briefing.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I understand, LP, but as a L&D pro, I do wonder about the retention rate – liking and remembering are often different.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 83 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls