Is there any need for a pre-flight safety briefing from cabin crew?

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)

• MrMichael
    Participant

I prefer the personal briefing.

FDOS as an L&D pro might be able to tell me if my theory on it is correct. Manual briefings by the crew reassure me they know where the exits are, and indeed they have to remind themselves every time they fly, perhaps three or four times a day on shorthaul.. Recorded briefings mean the crew are busy with other things and might actually when it is needed in a dark and smokey cabin be as clueless as the chump with the headphones and the FT.

WilmaT1
    Participant

Safety is important…..

FDOS-UK, crew can enforce it by refusing to carry on until everyone is paying attention. I have seen it here on KLM flight to London when crew told off man with headphones. I like your point.

MrMichael, also crew should be watching the video or doing it.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

MrMichael – 18/02/2016 19:00 GMT

Nothing to do with L&D, I’m afraid. But rest assured the crew do a briefing before each flight and know the equipment/systems very well.

canucklad
    Participant

Maybe it’s time we should look at these rude people ,who are so clearly engrossed in their own self importance that they don’t feel the need to pay attention to safety briefs…..
    Would you tolerate someone sitting next to you, lighting up a cigarette and blowing smoke in your face. I’d guess you wouldn’t, not least for the fact it’s a health risk to yourself.
    Now ,what greater health risk is there to you, if the person sitting next to you doesn’t have a clue what to do in the unlikely event of an emergency incident occurring. Especially if they occupy the aisle seat ?
    Just a thought!

MrMichael
    Participant

Canucklad +1, but what would you suggest? I wonder if they are the same people that have been spotted taking baggage down the emergency slide of late.

FDOS, I would have thought L&D ( if your meaning of L&D is the same as mine, Learning & Development) is important in that familiarity with “the drill” is key to cabin crew being able to intuitively know exactly where the exits are. My concern is that if everything is on video do the cabin crew get rusty on how to do up a life jacket/precisely where the exits are on their aircraft.

handbag
    Participant

MrMichael – 18/02/2016 19:00 GMT
    briefings mean the crew are busy with other things and might actually when it is needed in a dark and smokey cabin be as clueless as the chump with the headphones and the FT.

Haven’t read all of this thread, but this bit did make me smile.

We know where the exits are and if I never stood at the front of the cabin for a Safety brief ever again, I would know where they are. My last flight, I did 16,000 steps on my fit bit. You can imagine how many times I walked past the exits. Also I have been flying on a 747 for over 30 years 🙂 Crew knowing what to do is never going to be a problem. Passengers, now that is another matter. Can I ask you to put down your paper No. Can I ask you to not chat to your friend No. I can ask you to not stand up whilst it is on, but not a lot else.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

MrMichael – 20/02/2016 12:30 GMT

My definition of L&D is the same as yours – learning and development.

The crew are developed (and type rated) to the required standard and tested regularly afterwards, but in my world, ongoing maintenance of knowledge is adherence to standards and thus falls under compliance rather than than L&D – if that makes any sense?

As you probably know, I work mainly in the facilitation of seminars on strategy and related topics to adults around the world and so perhaps have a more precise view on the definition than most people.

Equally, I don’t confuse pedagogy with andragogy 😉

BigDog.
    Participant

The Delta crew were so impressed with this passenger giving undivided attention to their safety demo, they posted a picture…..

https://m.facebook.com/uniladmag/photos/a.352663588090040.76923.146505212039213/1935006583189058/

Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls